• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Owning a Donativo

RossIreland

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Frances winter of 2015
Hello, I walked the Camino a few years not long after my 61st birthday, in the winter.

Hoping to fully retire soon I have often thought about buying a house on the Way in Rioja and opening it as a Donativo. Does anyone know if there are any rules or regulations or if this is in any way a problem for a foreigner (British) ?

Any information or advice is very welcome

Thanks Ross

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There are TV programs about starting a B&B and so in Spain.
so I do not think it will be a real problem.you have to buy a property and need local permits, VAT number etc etc.
send a letter or e- mail to the council, a lawyer or Chamber of Commerce in the area that you want to settle and just ask what you need to start up.

When I see these programs I always wonder how prepared people are.
most do not speak the language of the country, can not oversee the cost of renovating a house. Think they can do everything themselves but at the end when a lot goes wrong, they need professional help and have no money left.
Etc etc.
the language is very important to learn in advance Not everybody in Spain is speaking a foreign language . Even not in big cities like Madrid or Barcelona where I used to work for some years.
But research and think before you take such an important decision in your life .

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Assuming you are British, unless you have an EU passport you will need to go through the appropriate regulations to stay in Spain/EU for more than 180days in a year (one of the impacts of Brexit). I’ve no idea though how this works if you are investing in the country by opening a “business”.

I don't know if a golden passport is the best way to go about things but you could look into it. It is not for folks in the EU or EEA but I think that this allows UK citizens to apply now.

Search golden passport Spain but be aware that the first hits will be to firms that would like to make money helping you apply and that might be easy enough to do on your own.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello, I walked the Camino a few years not long after my 61st birthday, in the winter.

Hoping to fully retire soon I have often thought about buying a house on the Way in Rioja and opening it as a Donativo. Does anyone know if there are any rules or regulations or if this is in any way a problem for a foreigner (British) ?

Any information or advice is very welcome

Thanks Ross
Hi, we stayed in a lovely Albergue ran by a family from South America. I think I remember He said it was a donativo when he bought it but as he wasn’t a Spanish citizen he couldn’t run it as a donativo but could operate it as a business. He really enjoyed his role so I hope you get the chance to go for it.

There are TV programs about starting a B&B and so in Spain.
so I do not think it will be a real problem.you have to buy a property and need local permits, VAT number etc etc.
send a letter or e- mail to the council, a lawyer or Chamber of Commerce in the area that you want to settle and just ask what you need to start up.

When I see these programs I always wonder how prepared people are.
most do not speak the language of the country, can not oversee the cost of renovating a house. Think they can do everything themselves but at the end when a lot goes wrong, they need professional help and have no money left.
Etc etc.
the language is very important to learn in advance Not everybody in Spain is speaking a foreign language . Even not in big cities like Madrid or Barcelona where I used to work for some years.
But research and think before you take such an important decision in your life .
I spoke with an Australian who had opened an albergue on the FC. She reported that although there are no "technical" barriers she experienced some resentment that a foreigner was buying property and beginning a "business". That could have been a local government attitude not reflected elsewhere. Can I suggest finding someone in your position who has already purchased an albergue and is a not Spanish.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
First of all: go for your dream. I did too. We have an albergue now and althought the amount of work is at times much too big, I never regret it. What is important is that you have an idea of how big you want your albergue to be, what is within your fysical and mental working limits.
Having said that; check in Rioja if it is possible to open a donativo albergue, or what exactly are the requirments. In Galicia it is (nearly?) not possible any more.
If you want any further info, feel free to PM.

Hi Ross,
If you havn't already, you might want to volunteer at a few albergues before diving in unless you have experience with this kind of venture. If you plan to move forward, I would look for places where another albergue is needed rather than just picking a certain town or place you like.
Janet

Hi Ross,
If you havn't already, you might want to volunteer at a few albergues before diving in unless you have experience with this kind of venture. If you plan to move forward, I would look for places where another albergue is needed rather than just picking a certain town or place you like.
Janet
Thanks Janet and everyone else who has replied.

I think the advice to volunteer is very sensible so that is what I'll do!

Not till later this year but that's definitely the way forward.

Best wishes Ross

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back