• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

pack all set

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
yes a power bank.
this will be my 4th Camino. I have downloaded the guidebooks. I may still take the Portuguese book

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
BUEN CAMINO/Bom Caminho!
I gotta tell ya, Portugal... it's People... food...scenery is nothing but, SPECTACULAR! 🥰

I learned about this well after my first Camino. Good that you learned now.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Buen camino!! When are you leaving? I’m hoping to get it around 15 lbs.
I fly into Lisbon on the 29th of May and will train to Porto and stay a few days...will start from there as well the first week of June! 15 is my target too! Will grab a small umberella as well before I leave. Where are you staying in Porto? I will get my passport at the Cathedral there! Cited too!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We are on the Camino now, left Lisbon April 21. Be prepared for mostly hard surfaces, as in cobblestones, pavement and concrete. After Porto we chose the coastal route, where there is boardwalk in addition to cobblestones and concrete.
Just different than our other caminos and harder on our feet and ankles.
Super friendly people and great food!
Buen Camino!!

We are on the Camino now, left Lisbon April 21. Be prepared for mostly hard surfaces, as in cobblestones, pavement and concrete. After Porto we chose the coastal route, where there is boardwalk in addition to cobblestones and concrete.
Just different than our other caminos and harder on our feet and ankles.
Super friendly people and great food!
Buen Camino!!
Safe travels!! Buen Camino!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I fly into Lisbon on the 29th of May and will train to Porto and stay a few days...will start from there as well the first week of June! 15 is my target too! Will grab a small umberella as well before I leave. Where are you staying in Porto? I will get my passport at the Cathedral there! Cited too!!
LaLuba1. We are starting in Sarria on June 3rd Buen Camino. 😊

i will stay at Oasis in Lisben, have not.decided on the Porto location. plan to be in porto 30, 31 ,1.

i would be thankfull for.some.recommendations on accommodation

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@LynneR we took the Coastal route BUT, it wasn't 'right on the beach' (we kind of winged it). Then we merged with the Central route. To me, it was ALL scenic! 😍

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Did you go coastal or central? Also, can you identify your favorite parts...the most scenic?
Thanks!
it was all.senic and good walking on board walks unti about 20 klicks from Caminha. then we turned to the road to stay off beach. then on to Tui.

willnstay at the

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
willnstay at the
i have not picked a place in Porto at this time. I plan to start walking out of Porto on the 1st and reach Tui by the 10th.
The umbrella i purchased from Amazon, specific to backpacking. it will clip to pack strap! and is very light.

I hope to getti Porto on the 30th or 31st.
let me know if you find a good place to stay there

i will stay at Oasis in Lisben, have not.decided on the Porto location. plan to be in porto 30, 31 ,1.

i would be thankfull for.some.recommendations on accommodation
In Porto I highly recommend the Passenger hostel or the Wine hostel (but the wine hostel can be a bit noisy at night as it's in the student district)

Oh and I'll be there on Sat the 18th 😀

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
leaving Porto on the 1st
I presume you mean 1st of June... I wish you well. I did love the camino from there. I need to gather all my bits and bobs and see how they will fit into my original Lowe alpine 25litre backpack! They must! What does not fit will not travel with me.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
you will be far and gone by the time i start. life long friend coming on 3oth. but having great food at resonable prieces

17 pounds!
Just walked out of Porto today.
Central route.
And checkef into the beautiful 11th century monastary de Vairao tonight.
daily is too much for me but there wl be some

got the pack weight to just under 17 lbs
Nice pic Pilgrim, personally I would swap sleeping bag for silk liner, rain jacket for poncho and pick up a trusty staff or two on route. My experience is that every item in my pack had to have multiple uses to justify carrying. My number 1 best carry item was my light weight multi-purpose Turkish towel Buen Camino and for others why umbrella?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Nice pic Pilgrim, personally I would swap sleeping bag for silk liner, rain jacket for poncho and pick up a trusty staff or two on route. My experience is that every item in my pack had to have multiple uses to justify carrying. My number 1 best carry item was my light weight multi-purpose Turkish towel Buen Camino and for others why umbrella?
it took a couple of Caminos to get the umbrella thing.
1. it will keep a lot of sun off you.
2. poncho will get you wet from the knees down at best
3. rainsuits are heavy and i tend to sweat right through the darn things gortex or not
4. this new umbrella will attach to the shoulder strap of the backpack.

it took a couple of Caminos to get the umbrella thing.
1. it will keep a lot of sun off you.
2. poncho will get you wet from the knees down at best
3. rainsuits are heavy and i tend to sweat right through the darn things gortex or not
4. this new umbrella will attach to the shoulder strap of the backpack.
Thanks for clarifying umbrella but for me it's nothing a good sun hat doesn't take care of with wide brim covering face and neck blocking UV rays and repelling rain. I walked the Francè last September temperatures of 32 degrees, Portuguese and Caminho da fe in Brazil in January this year with in 37 degree mountain terrain and umbrella would have found cumbersome to carry and my free hand in the event of fall would have been restricted. It's surprising how often two hands free are needed to reach for water, when using staff or walking sticks or using both hands to hug a tree or circumnavigate fallen ones and other obstacles. My trusty Tilley hat was a better option plus has the advantage of an internal cooing pad that can be submerged in water keeping head cool in high temperatures, looks cool and there's somewhere to attach pins.

Poncho was ideal as it's lightweight, can immediately be pulled over body without having to remove bag, doubles as sun protection or picnic blanket. In rain I would roll zip off trouser legs into my socks and allow the rain water to run off my waterproof skin. I wasn't bothered about getting wet from knees down and simply took shelter if heavy downpour or when sun returned dry off as nature intended. My poncho also acts as a safety visibility garment due to its bright colour red when walking alongside road traffic and used it in Pamplona to attract bulls, Olé 😉

Attachments

• IMG_20190119_075559554.jpg
    IMG_20190119_075559554.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for clarifying umbrella but for me it's nothing a good sun hat doesn't take care of with wide brim covering face and neck blocking UV rays and repelling rain. I walked the Francè last September temperatures of 32 degrees, Portuguese and Caminho da fe in Brazil in January this year with in 37 degree mountain terrain and umbrella would have found cumbersome to carry and my free hand in the event of fall would have been restricted. It's surprising how often two hands free are needed to reach for water, when using staff or walking sticks or using both hands to hug a tree or circumnavigate fallen ones and other obstacles. My trusty Tilley hat was a better option plus has the advantage of an internal cooing pad that can be submerged in water keeping head cool in high temperatures, looks cool and there's somewhere to attach pins.

Poncho was ideal as it's lightweight, can immediately be pulled over body without having to remove bag, doubles as sun protection or picnic blanket. In rain I would roll zip off trouser legs into my socks and allow the rain water to run off my waterproof skin. I wasn't bothered about getting wet from knees down and simply took shelter if heavy downpour or when sun returned dry off as nature intended. My poncho also acts as a safety visibility garment due to its bright colour red when walking alongside road traffic and used it in Pamplona to attract bulls, Olé 😉
Go Tilley!
(sry proud Canadian here)
I'm seeing more and more of them on the Camino. Even though I left mine at home.

Go Tilley!
(sry proud Canadian here)
I'm seeing more and more of them on the Camino. Even though I left mine at home.
Haha, home is where your HeArT is and maybe next time you'll join the Tilley trail 🤠

Last edited:
There’s a free (somewhat used!) Tilley hat available at a bus stop next to a church between Arudy and Asson on the Piedmont Way in the south of France.... at least I think that’s where I left it... 😢

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There’s a free (somewhat used!) Tilley hat available at a bus stop next to a church between Arudy and Asson on the Piedmont Way in the south of France.... at least I think that’s where I left it... 😢
Nightmare, hate losing things especially on the Camino as every item is important but in my experience you'll come across something else when you least expect it. Maybe another Pilgrim is getting the same benefit you had and maybe they needed it more. Mine never left my head unless I was talking shower and clipped to my straps on my pack as it was a critical item in my gear. I hope it or something else turns up 🤞

Yep, mine was either on my head or clipped to my pack....until I looked down after a rest break and it wasn’t! 😔.

Like you said, though, I think it had another destiny: a few KMs after noticing it was gone, I ran into a young Aussie with holes in her hat and told her to look for it! I believe my Tilly is now proudly traveling on her head towards Santiago! 👍. If anyone sees a pilgrim spirting a brown Tilly with red Ponferada and Frances Xavier ribbons on it, snap a photo for me.

Haha, you paint a vivid picture..
Yep, mine was either on my head or clipped to my pack....until I looked down after a rest break and it wasn’t! 😔.

Like you said, though, I think it had another destiny: a few KMs after noticing it was gone, I ran into a young Aussie with holes in her hat and told her to look for it! I believe my Tilly is now proudly traveling on her head towards Santiago! 👍. If anyone sees a pilgrim spirting a brown Tilly with red Ponferada and Frances Xavier ribbons on it, snap a photo for me.
Haha, Tilley downunder or you might be reunited before then. A holy hat sounds like something worth having especially in Santiago De Compestella so if you provided your details it might find its way back to you. Stranger things happen on the Way 🍀

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.