• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Frivolous debate - swimsuit vs 3rd set of undergarments

rainswift

Time of past OR future Camino
Jun 2024 - Portuguese Litoral + VE + Finisterre
Hi all!

I understand that this is a completely frivolous question and I'll probably be okay no matter what I decide:

Should I take a swimsuit, or a 3rd set of undergarments (sports bra and underpants)? They weigh the same. (89 g for top+bottom).

My tentative packing list is here: https://lighterpack.com/r/6ulwn5

I have my worn weight items set at zero quantity so that it's easier to see what my carry weight is (base weight + consumable, which is just water at this point).

Base weight is 4.5kg (10lbs) right now.
Total pack weight including 1.5L of water is at 6kg (13.3 lbs) right now.
My body weight is 70kg (~150lbs), but my ideal body weight is closer to 60kg (~130lbs).
Therefore, my pack weight is pretty much 10% of my ideal body weight and I ought not to add more weight.

Right now I've got the swimsuit and two sets of undergarments (one to wear, one to wash). I do have three pairs of socks as I feel it's very important to guarantee I've got dry feet to prevent blisters and funk.

Reasons I want a swimsuit, which feels absolutely like a luxury item:

- I'm walking the Portuguese Coastal in June 2024 - I want to dip in the ocean! As many times as it is feasible! (Of course I could do this in undergarments)
- Planning on staying at the Parador Costa da Morte at the end of my trip and hitting up their spa, will need a swimsuit then and can't be guaranteed to get one in Muxia or Finisterre in my size. I don't think the Parador will let me into their spa in regular undergarments... even though my sports bra and underpants would probably pass for a swimsuit at first glance.
- There are a couple of nights I'll stay in a hotel with a pool, for which I will want to use a swimsuit.
- Swimsuit can do double duty as my third set of undergarments in a pinch (though probably not as comfortable for long stretches and maybe retains more moisture).

Am also considering removing the shorts from my packing list and just having the two pairs of pants (again one to wear, one to wash). Not sure how hot it will be along the Camino in June and whether I'll want the shorts. I typically overheat easily so I might stick to packing this fear. I could also do one pair of shorts and one pair of pants and just alternate them... but what if it's hot on the day I have to wear pants because the shorts are drying, and what if it's cold on the day I have to wear shorts because the pants are drying?!

(Yes, I am an overthinker).

With self-deprecating recognition that this is my worrywart nature at work, thanks for your input!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think swimsuit is definately the way to go. You can swim in sea or be on beach in underwear (bottoms only or bottoms and top) but European Spas don’t allow underwear for hygiene reasons. In some parts of Europe many spas prefer nudity in saunas and jacuzzis, again for hygiene reasons, but in Spain and Portugal swimwear is the ‘way to go’ in spas.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
OK, I am a bit more portly than you, but I took a "board skort" which could double as shorts and a tank top with a built in bra the past 2 Caminos. I can wear them around the albergue, around town, or even to walk in if I want. I say bring your suit if it is important to you.
Not a bad idea, but probably heavier than either the swimsuit or the extra undergarments. Definitely multi-purpose though!

Hi, I walked the coastal litoral in october-november '21 and I brought a string bikini (for my not skinny body type) and I was glad I did. it was super light and didn't take any place in my bag but allowed for dips in sea and pool, which was great with the 20+ degrees C and sunny weather. This time (next week yay) I'm bringing my triathlon bikini suit, that can double as a running bra, and/or normal underwear.

On the same note, I only wore my one pair of shorts as it was too warm for pants. Go for the shorts, def in june. This time, as temperatures are still in the mid 20 Celcius and I hate feeling hot, I overheat quickly, I'm planning with two pairs of running shorts, one pair of leggings and rain pants. That should cover it.

All for overthinking and sharing tips!

Hi, I walked the coastal litoral in october-november '21 and I brought a string bikini (for my not skinny body type) and I was glad I did. it was super light and didn't take any place in my bag but allowed for dips in sea and pool, which was great with the 20+ degrees C and sunny weather. This time (next week yay) I'm bringing my triathlon bikini suit, that can double as a running bra, and/or normal underwear.

On the same note, I only wore my one pair of shorts as it was too warm for pants. Go for the shorts, def in june. This time, as temperatures are still in the mid 20 Celcius and I hate feeling hot, I overheat quickly, I'm planning with two pairs of running shorts, one pair of leggings and rain pants. That should cover it.

All for overthinking and sharing tips!
Really appreciate this! I might swap to two pairs of shorts and one pair of pants then. That saves me like 70g in weight too.

Definitely taking the swimsuit now on your advice. It's a "sport" swimsuit so it can indeed double as undergarments if needed.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Since the swimsuit part seems to be well covered I'm going a bit off topic:

Relly well thought out packing list.
One thing you might consider, unless you are set on it already, is switching from the pack liner to using 2 drysacks, one for clothing one of sleep system. The S2S UltraSil in 8L and 4L worked really well for me for a comparable amount of items. And for the rest you can go either with zip locks or with the (rather heavy) drysack from your list. I walked the C.Frances the first time with the GG Murmur pack, the lighter brother of the Kumo, and even when they are not rated to be water proof, the material proofed very water resistant. Add the drysacks for extra security and organization.
Maybe there are a few grams to be saved in the electronics kit (i did not miss a powerbank but can understand why you want to take one) and the first aid kit (but that depends on how much of it is personal meds). Maybe also a bit in the toiletries department, but that already seems very light for a woman.

Since the swimsuit part seems to be well covered I'm going a bit off topic:

Relly well thought out packing list.
One thing you might consider, unless you are set on it already, is switching from the pack liner to using 2 drysacks, one for clothing one of sleep system. The S2S UltraSil in 8L and 4L worked really well for me for a comparable amount of items. And for the rest you can go either with zip locks or with the (rather heavy) drysack from your list. I walked the C.Frances the first time with the GG Murmur pack, the lighter brother of the Kumo, and even when they are not rated to be water proof, the material proofed very water resistant. Add the drysacks for extra security and organization.
Maybe there are a few grams to be saved in the electronics kit (i did not miss a powerbank but can understand why you want to take one) and the first aid kit (but that depends on how much of it is personal meds). Maybe also a bit in the toiletries department, but that already seems very light for a woman.

I'm pretty set on the 8L "lightweight" dry bag I have because its advantage is that I can attach a strap to it (has a D ring at the clip opening end and a little pleather tab at the bottom). The weight I have listed for it is including the strap. The StS Ultra-sil dry bags, while significantly lighter, do not have a D-ring and a bottom tab.

Why do I want this strap? So I don't have to leave my valuables on the beach when I go into the ocean! I can stuff my waistpack (which is not waterproof) with phone, wallet, cash, passport, credential into the dry bag and a change of dry clothes, and take it into the sea with me. That way even if my backpack is stolen, I have clothes to be dry in and my true essentials. Might be barefoot if they steal my shoes too, but that can be fixed I hope!

The dry bag with the strap/D-ring will also be handy daily when I have to hang a dry bag (again with my valuables/waist pack, but also my toiletries kit and "fresh" clothes) in the shower, and for grocery runs, and maybe runs to the lavanderia.

However, I would definitely consider swapping from a pack liner to an ultra-sil drysack for clothes, and using the D-ring'd drysack for the sleep system when it is not in use in watery environments. Depends on if the ultra-sil weighs more than the pack liner. Though, if I use the ultra-sil, I could probably get rid of the mesh bag for laundry/organization and accept that I might lose a sock. I was going to use the mesh bag to hold socks and undies whenever I used a laundry machine so I wouldn't lose the underthings. So that's more weight shaved, thanks! Plus my bag won't be as noisy and bother people since I won't have the plastic pack liner.

The battery bank provides pass-through charging (that is, it can be charged and provide power to a phone at the same time, if necessary). It's also peace of mind - I wouldn't be as worried stepping away from it compared to leaving my phone alone for a bathroom break. And I can make sure my phone charges from it overnight so I start the morning with a full battery on my phone plus extra juice on the bank. Still, I will consider on leaving the battery bank behind as well.

The first aid kit, sadly, cannot be shaved further in my opinion as I have a number of prescription meds to bring with me.

I'm so impressed that you walked the Frances with a GG Murmur! That's so light! And for 800km! I went with the Kumo because I wanted padded straps, but now I'm jelly of your Murmur.

Thank you so much for your insight!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi all!

I understand that this is a completely frivolous question and I'll probably be okay no matter what I decide:

Should I take a swimsuit, or a 3rd set of undergarments (sports bra and underpants)? They weigh the same. (89 g for top+bottom).

I have my worn weight items set at zero quantity so that it's easier to see what my carry weight is (base weight + consumable, which is just water at this point).

My body weight is 70kg (~150lbs), but my ideal body weight is closer to 60kg (~130lbs).
Therefore, my pack weight is pretty much 10% of my ideal body weight and I ought not to add more weight.

Right now I've got the swimsuit and two sets of undergarments (one to wear, one to wash). I do have three pairs of socks as I feel it's very important to guarantee I've got dry feet to prevent blisters and funk.

- I'm walking the Portuguese Coastal in June 2024 - I want to dip in the ocean! As many times as it is feasible! (Of course I could do this in undergarments)
- Planning on staying at the Parador Costa da Morte at the end of my trip and hitting up their spa, will need a swimsuit then and can't be guaranteed to get one in Muxia or Finisterre in my size. I don't think the Parador will let me into their spa in regular undergarments... even though my sports bra and underpants would probably pass for a swimsuit at first glance.
- There are a couple of nights I'll stay in a hotel with a pool, for which I will want to use a swimsuit.
- Swimsuit can do double duty as my third set of undergarments in a pinch (though probably not as comfortable for long stretches and maybe retains more moisture).

Am also considering removing the shorts from my packing list and just having the two pairs of pants (again one to wear, one to wash). Not sure how hot it will be along the Camino in June and whether I'll want the shorts. I typically overheat easily so I might stick to packing this fear. I could also do one pair of shorts and one pair of pants and just alternate them... but what if it's hot on the day I have to wear pants because the shorts are drying, and what if it's cold on the day I have to wear shorts because the pants are drying?!

With self-deprecating recognition that this is my worrywart nature at work, thanks for your input!
In June I wore shorts, way too hot for long pants. (I've never needed long pants on any Camino).

You didn't even need long pants for the evening, or in rain? Camino Weather website is forecasting lows of 12-14C for June.
Not once. And if it rains I prefer shorts as skin dries fast, and I hate the feel of wet pants. I had a large lightweight silk scarf that I had taken to wrap around like a skirt when I went into churches. Instead I wore it as a sarong sometimes while clothes dried.
June was hot/warm. By the time I reached Santiago at the beginning of July it was 43C.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Not once. And if it rains I prefer shorts as skin dries fast, and I hate the feel of wet pants. I had a large lightweight silk scarf that I had taken to wrap around like a skirt when I went into churches. Instead I wore it as a sarong sometimes while clothes dried.
June was hot/warm. By the time I reached Santiago at the beginning of July it was 43C.
43C! I'll melt!

Thanks for the tip on pants. Might take them out and swap for a scarf/sarong.

Yes when I was finally able to enjoy a place with AC I didnt want to leave.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Rainswift, if it helps, I ended up using my swimsuit ( with shorts and a long thin scarf as a shawl) as my sleeping/ washing clothes outfit in albergues...and once as a swimsuit, in Albergue El Aleman. I didn't use them as daily underwear, but I guess I could have.

Rainswift, if it helps, I ended up using my swimsuit ( with shorts and a long thin scarf as a shawl) as my sleeping/ washing clothes outfit in albergues...and once as a swimsuit, in Albergue El Aleman. I didn't use them as daily underwear, but I guess I could have.
Thank you! That's a great idea.

Hi all!

Personally, I'd lose the third bra and take the third panties and the swim suit.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Most pensions and casas don't have air conditioning, either. In 21 total lodging days, 3 higher end hotels had A/C for me. But that was on the Primitivo, Frances, and at Muxia.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I guess I should have guessed there wouldn't be AC, haha!

Update on the packing list: I've actually gone in and added my favourite lightweight scarf (119g), but haven't removed the one pair of long pants. Total pack weight now sitting at 6.15 kg (13.56 lbs).

I just couldn't get over the "what if it's unexpectedly cold and my legs are chilly," so I think I'll keep the one pair of long pants.

I did switch from two pants/one shorts to two shorts/one pants, but this only affected my worn weight, so the carried weight didn't actually improve 🤣.

I also removed the hiking shirt (187g) from my worn weight as I expect now that June will be too hot for the hiking shirt, based on @Anamiri's advice. If I'm cold up top I can put on the longsleeve over my shortsleeve T-shirt, and if, heavens forbid, it's actually truly chilly, I can put on the puffy.

Considering swapping in a windbreaker/rain jacket (165g) as a "just in case I need to keep warm" layer and removing the puffy (239g). Do I really need a puffy for June on the Portuguese?

(Just leaving my wonderings out loud. Hopefully they help someone in the future).

Update on the packing list: I've actually gone in and added my favourite lightweight scarf (119g), but haven't removed the one pair of long pants. Total pack weight now sitting at 6.15 kg (13.56 lbs).

I just couldn't get over the "what if it's unexpectedly cold and my legs are chilly," so I think I'll keep the one pair of long pants.

I did switch from two pants/one shorts to two shorts/one pants, but this only affected my worn weight, so the carried weight didn't actually improve 🤣.

I also removed the hiking shirt (187g) from my worn weight as I expect now that June will be too hot for the hiking shirt, based on @Anamiri's advice. If I'm cold up top I can put on the longsleeve over my shortsleeve T-shirt, and if, heavens forbid, it's actually truly chilly, I can put on the puffy.

Considering swapping in a windbreaker/rain jacket (165g) as a "just in case I need to keep warm" layer and removing the puffy (239g). Do I really need a puffy for June on the Portuguese?

(Just leaving my wonderings out loud. Hopefully they help someone in the future).
Layering is the answer. Ask yourself, if I wore everything I have would I be warm on a really cold day.
I like light layers. Mornings can be colder, so I'd wear layers until the sun came up, then be just in a T-shirt for the rest of the day.

Hi I would be interested. Also, I plan to take a swim suit because I wear a very small size and they dry so quickly.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Layering is the answer. Ask yourself, if I wore everything I have would I be warm on a really cold day.
I like light layers. Mornings can be colder, so I'd wear layers until the sun came up, then be just in a T-shirt for the rest of the day.
I think if I bring the puffy, for sure I would be warm on a really cold day. (Or on the ferry to Cies Islands, which I plan to visit!) Puffies aren't really great for when you're on the move though - might actually get sweaty if I'm walking and have the puffy on.

If I rely on a windbreaker + the scarf, arms might still be cold, but more likely I'd be able to wear both while walking if necessary without getting overly sweaty. The windbreaker has pit zips.

In the case of bringing a puffy - got nothing to keep my hands warm, it's got no pockets.

In the case of bringing the windbreaker, hands can go into pockets for some minimal warmth.

Decisions, decisions!

Edit: I asked chatGPT if I should take a puffy on the Camino Portguese starting from Porto in June, and it said no! 🤣 Guess I'm going with the layering system.

Last edited:
Hi I would be interested. Also, I plan to take a swim suit because I wear a very small size and they dry so quickly.
What would you be interested in?

Re: the swimsuit, it's now definitely coming with me as my "third set" of next-to-skin undergarments.

I have a very lightweight merino hoody plus a sunshirt (fly fishing Columbia type) i wore both with a merino t-shirt and a buff in 2016 for a few days in June, but forwarded my down puffy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Personally, I'd lose the third bra and take the third panties and the swim suit.
Same here. Two bras is enough, and I'd never take less than 3 panties on my caminos. For me, walking in swimwear doesn't work - the fabrics would eventually give me a rash. So I'd drop a bra and add the swimwear, because you are right about taking the opportunity for some good swims. :)

But do wathever works for you! good thing your problem weighs just a few grams, not heaps!

I have a very lightweight merino hoody plus a sunshirt (fly fishing Columbia type) i wore both with a merino t-shirt and a buff in 2016 for a few days in June, but forwarded my down puffy.
Did you carry a fleece?

I usually take lined 2" running shorts which double as swimwear when required, walking shorts in hot weather and can also serve as underwear, Having recently completed 2 weeks walking in Tuscany with temperatures in the low 30C they proved their worth.

I at this point have never found the need for taking bra's, sports or otherwise and am not expecting this approach to change anytime soon ;-)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It may not be current fashion (my wife says I'm taste challenged!), but consider taking two pairs of zip-off pants instead of one pants, one shorts. Then you can wear whatever the weather calls for. If you get the same brand, you can get by with one set of legs. The legs wash and dry easy and if necessary are more comfortable worn damp than the shorts portion.

My solution to cool mornings/hot afternoons is arm warmers, available in any running or cycling store. If it is cool, I put those on with a short sleeved tee, and presto--long sleeved shirt! Typically about 15 minutes down the road, I pull them off and tie them around a loop on my pack, and am back to short sleeves, without even breaking stride. They come in different weights, but I would go light for June. They also provide some sun protection, while allowing your pits to breathe. The lightest and most versatile "garment" in my pack.

Did you carry a fleece?
No, in the winter I have a light thermoball North Face synthetic jacket. Summer just a couple of layers of merino wool with a Columbia fishing shirt as a sunshirt. I wear capris instead of shorts/pants. The last 2 years I brought a dress with a light mesh jacket for evenings. So one pair of capris, one tshirt, one dress, and the last 2 years my tank top and board shorts. Did not bring my hoodie las summer in June. Even with my travel CPAP machine and all my meds, my pack is between 10 and 12 pounds.

This winter I will bring 1 pr pants, 1 long sleeved shirt, 1 pr tights/leggings/ 1 wool dress and then of course my thermoball jacket, and rain stuff.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No, in the winter I have a light thermoball North Face synthetic jacket. Summer just a couple of layers of merino wool with a Columbia fishing shirt as a sunshirt. I wear capris instead of shorts/pants. The last 2 years I brought a dress with a light mesh jacket for evenings. So one pair of capris, one tshirt, one dress, and the last 2 years my tank top and board shorts. Did not bring my hoodie las summer in June. Even with my travel CPAP machine and all my meds, my pack is between 10 and 12 pounds.

This winter I will bring 1 pr pants, 1 long sleeved shirt, 1 pr tights/leggings/ 1 wool dress and then of course my thermoball jacket, and rain stuff.
10-12 lbs including CPAP machine (and water too)? Holy moly!

*stares at packing list*

I need to cut.

Remember, wear one and pack one. Don't count the weight of what you will be wearing. You are still carrying it, but it is distributed differently.

Remember, wear one and pack one. Don't count the weight of what you will be wearing. You are still carrying it, but it is distributed differently.
I do not count worn weight. However, in the course of this discussion my pack weight has actually crept up, not gone down 😅

I will have to make some hard trimming decisions again.

I really can't think you would need a puffy jacket in June. I certainly wouldn't! I would substitute for windbreaker/rain jacket for sure! I walked Portuguese coastal/litoral in Many 2019. Had lots of swims, the weather was great and it certainly was not chilly!

I really can't think you would need a puffy jacket in June. I certainly wouldn't! I would substitute for windbreaker/rain jacket for sure! I walked Portuguese coastal/litoral in Many 2019. Had lots of swims, the weather was great and it certainly was not chilly!
Thank you! Yes, I have now removed the puffy and swapped in a windbreaker/rainjacket with pockets, for a weight savings of approx 70g. It means I'll be bringing both a rainjacket and a poncho, but this combination is actually still lighter than rainjacket + rain pants + rain cover for backpack. And the windbreaker/rainjacket doubles as a warmth layer in case of need.

I was starting to feel quite attached to the idea of bringing a scarf (my favourite with a purple wing pattern), but ultimately I may remove the scarf for weight. It's just so pretty... and useful...

Thank you! Yes, I have now removed the puffy and swapped in a windbreaker/rainjacket with pockets, for a weight savings of approx 70g. It means I'll be bringing both a rainjacket and a poncho, but this combination is actually still lighter than rainjacket + rain pants + rain cover for backpack. And the windbreaker/rainjacket doubles as a warmth layer in case of need.

I was starting to feel quite attached to the idea of bringing a scarf (my favourite with a purple wing pattern), but ultimately I may remove the scarf for weight. It's just so pretty... and useful...
How heavy is the scarf? I'm not really a scarf person and I don't think you will want one to wear in the traditional way (around your neck/shoulders) in June, but if it is pretty light it could be useful in other ways; sarong, privacy curtain in albergue bunk? Just in case you really wanted to bring it! I used my microfiber towel as a sort of privacy curtain oaacsionally in albergue bunks and I had a v light hiking dress for evenings/meals out/in albergues/after a swim so didn't need sarong option either.

How heavy is the scarf? I'm not really a scarf person and I don't think you will want one to wear in the traditional way (around your neck/shoulders) in June, but if it is pretty light it could be useful in other ways; sarong, privacy curtain in albergue bunk? Just in case you really wanted to bring it! I used my microfiber towel as a sort of privacy curtain oaacsionally in albergue bunks and I had a v light hiking dress for evenings/meals out/in albergues/after a swim so didn't need sarong option either.
The scarf is 119g (about 0.25lbs or 4.2 oz), which I consider pretty light. It could be used as a sarong, beach cover up, privacy curtain (in combo with my large microfibre towel, so both sides of the bunk are covered), and as warmth of course.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I took a different approach on a recent Norte trip and brought this snap front suit. It doubled as a top on laundry day or when things were drying at dinner. Flattering, comfortable, a bit on the heavy side (maybe 7 ounces?), looks ok with hiking shorts/pants. Wouldn’t hike in it but proved to be a useful piece. https://andieswim.com/products/the-...MImdWPgrLzgQMVvyitBh0fCACyEAQYAiABEgKaJ_D_BwE
Hey this looks GREAT. Super flattering too. I only wish it were lighter - 7 oz is too much compared to the sport bikini I was going to bring.

Just weighed it, 7 ounces/200 grams. So a bit heavy, I try to stay ultralight. But on the Norte, lots of beach opportunities, Iots of pools in lodgings. I’m not comfortable in a bikini anymore and apologies to all those who disagree, but seeing women in their underwear seems a little weird to me. A woman on one of our local trails was dipping her feet in the river…in her Patagonia quick dry underwear and it looked like she was in…her underwear. I don’t think I’d feel comfortable stripping down to my underwear in a European spa. How about taking the sports bra and just the bikini bottom with 3 pair of undies to use as undies? PS: Shorts in June, for sure. Either a pair of zip offs or shorts/pants combo. Toss in a pair of yoga shorts for sleeping or to wear during laundry times.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just weighed it, 7 ounces/200 grams. So a bit heavy, I try to stay ultralight. But on the Norte, lots of beach opportunities, Iots of pools in lodgings. I’m not comfortable in a bikini anymore and apologies to all those who disagree, but seeing women in their underwear seems a little weird to me. A woman on one of our local trails was dipping her feet in the river…in her Patagonia quick dry underwear and it looked like she was in…her underwear. I don’t think I’d feel comfortable stripping down to my underwear in a European spa. How about taking the sports bra and just the bikini bottom with 3 pair of undies to use as undies? PS: Shorts in June, for sure. Either a pair of zip offs or shorts/pants combo. Toss in a pair of yoga shorts for sleeping or to wear during laundry times.
200 grams is too heavy. I will bring the sport bikini. I'm not exactly the most lissome to look at or the most confident; I hope to just "let the soft animal of my body love what it loves," as Mary Oliver said.

I have now adjusted my packing list to include three pairs of panties, two sports bras, and the sport bikini. All while staying under a 10lb/4.5kg base weight! (Total pack weight with water 13.15lbs/6kg). I'm so pleased, thank you all for your help.

(Still debating on the scarf, which would put me at total 13.42lbs/6.1kg. It's just a liiiitle more weight, surely it will be okay? *she laughed at herself for worrying about it* )

The scarf is 119g (about 0.25lbs or 4.2 oz), which I consider pretty light. It could be used as a sarong, beach cover up, privacy curtain (in combo with my large microfibre towel, so both sides of the bunk are covered), and as warmth of course.
I take a light scarf. I doubt if it weighs as much 4.2 oz though. It makes a nice cover for naps in the afternoon and it keeps the dreaded flies off while I nap. Good for extra warmth in the evening with my dress if needed. Have used it as a pillow case when there was none.

I take a light scarf. I doubt if it weighs as much 4.2 oz though. It makes a nice cover for naps in the afternoon and it keeps the dreaded flies off while I nap. Good for extra warmth in the evening with my dress if needed. Have used it as a pillow case when there was none.
I weighed mine yesterday to get 119g/4.2oz on a little kitchen scale. Mine is bigger than my towel, maybe that's why it's so heavy (though I thought it was light!)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Mine rolls up in to a fist sized roll and I put a rubber band around it so I can carry it in a pocket or somewhere in the top of my pack so I can get to it if needed.

I wear this lightweight (and cheap!) cami from Walmart to sleep in, and it also works as a bathing suit top for a tankini look.

Screenshot_20231013_093217_Firefox.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
They will not allow me in the spa with the cami, though, will they?

Maybe if they don't look closely....
Underwear and outawear tends to be a big ‘no no’ in the vast majority of European spas for hygiene reasons. You will need swimwear unless clothing optional.

Why wouldn't they allow you in a spa in the cami? Is there a particular spa you have in mind?
What @TravellingMan22 said. I'm hearing a fair amount of feedback that European spas require swimwear.

I am visiting the spa at the Parador Costa da Morte. Or I hope to, at least.

What @TravellingMan22 said. I'm hearing a fair amount of feedback that European spas require swimwear.

I am visiting the spa at the Parador Costa da Morte. Or I hope to, at least.
They are either swimwear, clothing optional or nude, varies by country and establishments. I think Spain is swimwear in mixed sex sessions . Not sure same sex. You can always check with establishment.

1697215389888.png
This is my scarf (vendor's photo, not me - I'm not that skinny!) Now that it's been suggested to me, I really want to bring it. It will also make it easier to be appropriately dressed to enter churches, since I will now be wearing shorts during the day walk.

They are either swimwear, clothing optional or nude, varies by country and establishments. I think Spain is swimwear in mixed sex sessions . Not sure same sex. You can always check with establishment.
I will check with the Parador for sure. I'm nearly certain you are right that they will object if I do not have swimwear.

I will check with the Parador for sure. I'm nearly certain you are right that they will object if I do not have swimwear.
Yes its an area (the body) where the difference between the USA and Europe (and even within European countries) is huge!!

Hi all!

OK. I would like to reply to this post because I can relate. We just finished hiking the Norte for the second time. My pack weight is just about the same as yours. The first time we hiked it, in 2019, I wore my smart wool underwear and sports bra as my bathing suit. I thought that was a great way to cut down on weight so I started this Camino doing the same thing, but found it to be really really unattractive and it was warmer this year so the smart wool stuff just seemed so heavy. So I mailed that ( along with other things) home and bought a swimming suit and felt so much better and ended up swimming A LOT which was absolutely fantastic, and a bit more fun.
Another thing: I'm surprised you are bringing 2 pairs of shorts and still come in at 10# pack weight. I wore the same pair every single day ( convertible pants actually, but I never needed the pants part due to the warm weather). I actually loved the simplicity of wearing the exact same thing every day: a hiking "outfit" and a non hiking dress. We washed our hiking clothes in the sink every single day, ringing the bejeezus out of them to get as much water out and every single morning all our clothes were dry.
We are just now finishing our Camino experience and met our daughter who brought along a bunch of clothes for me that I had put aside prior to our beginning the Camino. While I love having a few other things to wear, I can't believe how many clothes I put aside! What was I thinking! We sure don't need all the clothes we have, do we? The simplicity of it all is something I am taking away with me, but still, bring a nice bathing suit!!

€46,-
OK. I would like to reply to this post because I can relate. We just finished hiking the Norte for the second time. My pack weight is just about the same as yours. The first time we hiked it, in 2019, I wore my smart wool underwear and sports bra as my bathing suit. I thought that was a great way to cut down on weight so I started this Camino doing the same thing, but found it to be really really unattractive and it was warmer this year so the smart wool stuff just seemed so heavy. So I mailed that ( along with other things) home and bought a swimming suit and felt so much better and ended up swimming A LOT which was absolutely fantastic, and a bit more fun.
Another thing: I'm surprised you are bringing 2 pairs of shorts and still come in at 10# pack weight. I wore the same pair every single day ( convertible pants actually, but I never needed the pants part due to the warm weather). I actually loved the simplicity of wearing the exact same thing every day: a hiking "outfit" and a non hiking dress. We washed our hiking clothes in the sink every single day, ringing the bejeezus out of them to get as much water out and every single morning all our clothes were dry.
We are just now finishing our Camino experience and met our daughter who brought along a bunch of clothes for me that I had put aside prior to our beginning the Camino. While I love having a few other things to wear, I can't believe how many clothes I put aside! What was I thinking! We sure don't need all the clothes we have, do we? The simplicity of it all is something I am taking away with me, but still, bring a nice bathing suit!!

I love the advice you are giving. I may try to be brave enough to remove the long pants from my packing list, which will subtract 187g. You are not the first one to advise that I will likely not wear the pants.

Definitely hearing the chorus of yeses to the swimsuit!

View attachment 158273
This is my scarf (vendor's photo, not me - I'm not that skinny!) Now that it's been suggested to me, I really want to bring it. It will also make it easier to be appropriately dressed to enter churches, since I will now be wearing shorts during the day walk.
Very pretty, but much larger than mine. My scarves about half that size and more sheer.

I love the advice you are giving. I may try to be brave enough to remove the long pants from my packing list, which will subtract 187g. You are not the first one to advise that I will likely not wear the pants.

Definitely hearing the chorus of yeses to the swimsuit!
I read those replies and thoroughly agree about not bringing pants. And about bringing a nice scarf too. My scarf served so many purposes and made me feel like I wasn't a scruffy pilgrim. I really like wearing a dress for that reason too, and it's not like I'm some dressy person . My scarf was much much lighter than a sorong, btw, which I would never take for weight and bulk reasons

Hi there, PMFJI:

I walked in July this year (really hot) the CP coastal up to Caminha (after that I switched to the central due to overcrowding on the coastal). I did brought a swimshorts to the CP and guess how often I did use it?

A single time, in the private pool of one of my albergues!
The least used item (203gr.) in my b/p.

Only after my CP, as I stayed 3 more days in Porto I used it every afternoon on the local beaches. Very satisfying.

If the weight didn't matter to you, just bring it and leave the third set of undergarment at home ;)
And don't underestimate the distances from the Albergues to the beaches.

Hi there, PMFJI:

I walked in July this year (really hot) the CP coastal up to Caminha (after that I switched to the central due to overcrowding on the coastal). I did brought a swimshorts to the CP and guess how often I did use it?

A single time, in the private pool of one of my albergues!
The least used item (203gr.) in my b/p.

Only after my CP, as I stayed 3 more days in Porto I used it every afternoon on the local beaches. Very satisfying.

If the weight didn't matter to you, just bring it and leave the third set of undergarment at home ;)
And don't underestimate the distances from the Albergues to the beaches.
Thanks for the heads up!

Why did you not use your swimshorts while walking up the Coastal?

The first few days I have planned out of Porto, my hostels/albergues are all less than 10 minutes' walk to the beach. I'm not walking long days and arriving late, either. The places I feel I'd be able to use it are:

• Matosinhos
  • Labruge
  • Povoa de Varzim
  • Esposende
  • on the way to Oia
  • on the way to Baiona
  • Cies Islands (day trip from Vigo on my rest day)
  • on the way to Redondela
  • Combarro (? Not sure if it has a swimming beach)
  • Finisterre (if the waters are safe to swim on the safe beach)
  • Muxia
  • the Parador

Why did you not use your swimshorts while walking up the Coastal?

Oh, I walked from Porto to Vila do Conde, it was late (almost 4pm) and I was done for that day.
I washed my clothes, showered, got dinner and went to sleep. Next morning I walked to Esposende, where I did swim in the mentioned pool.
The next day I made it to Viana do Castelo, where I drove with the furniculare to the Santa Luzia Church instead of walking to the beach (40mins. per walk) and swim.
On the fourth day I left the coast behind and walked up the Rio Minho to Seixas (part of Caminha).

No chance to swim again until I got back to Porto.

It means I'll be bringing both a rainjacket and a poncho, but this combination is actually still lighter than rainjacket + rain pants + rain coverfor backpack.

Ha! I found the combo of rain/wind jacket and poncho excellent for cold wind and rain.
If you wear both there is a layer of air between the two that works as additional insulation.

PS. As I get older and perhaps lazier I also realised I don’t have to wash shorts or pants every single evening. Last Camino my shorts got torn and I ended up with one pair zippy pants on one pair of short leggings. I found the shorts were fine with a few days between washes.

PPS. I am really impressed with your packing weight.

Last edited:
Hi all!

At a cost of 90 grams a shot, i would take both swimsuit and a couple of extra sets of udnergarments...

At a cost of 90 grams a shot, i would take both swimsuit and a couple of extra sets of udnergarments...
The current version of my packing list now has:

- three panties
- one bikini swimsuit (top and bottom)

So we're getting there! Managed to cut some weight despite that. So grateful for everyone's advice.

Hi all!

Check out "Ranger panties", or "silkies" made by Soffe. They are nylon tricot with liner and can pass for swim suit, underwear, sleep wear, or running shorts (altho my wife frowns on my going out in public in them for that purpose!) and weigh next to nothing. They would dry very quickly.

Hi all!

You make a very good case for the swimsuit.

The first few days I have planned out of Porto, my hostels/albergues are all less than 10 minutes' walk to the beach. I'm not walking long days and arriving late, either. The places I feel I'd be able to use it are:

• Matosinhos
  • Labruge
  • Povoa de Varzim
  • Esposende
  • on the way to Oia
  • on the way to Baiona
  • Cies Islands (day trip from Vigo on my rest day)
  • on the way to Redondela
  • Combarro (? Not sure if it has a swimming beach)
  • Finisterre (if the waters are safe to swim on the safe beach)
  • Muxia
  • the Parador
I walked to Finisterre at the end of July. Got glorious weather and planned to go to the shops the next day to buy a bikini and hit the beach. The next day arrived and it was cold, drizzling and while I did wet my feet, there was NO WAY I was going in deeper.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked to Finisterre at the end of July. Got glorious weather and planned to go to the shops the next day to buy a bikini and hit the beach. The next day arrived and it was cold, drizzling and while I did wet my feet, there was NO WAY I was going in deeper.
That's so unfortunate! I hope to have at least a few days of good ocean-dipping weather along my trip, given all the theoretical opportunities to jump in the water.

Definitely take the swimsuit - you will be far more comfortable when staying at your lovely hotels - and I would take one trouser and one shorts (you can hike in shorts whether its hot or not).. if you find you need a second pair its easier to buy a pair of trousers on the camino than a swimsuit!

Definitely take the swimsuit - you will be far more comfortable when staying at your lovely hotels - and I would take one trouser and one shorts (you can hike in shorts whether its hot or not).. if you find you need a second pair its easier to buy a pair of trousers on the camino than a swimsuit!
On the advice of some others here, I am now taking two pairs of shorts and no trousers!

Definitely taking the swimsuit though, thank you for supporting and validating that choice. You're right, it's probably easier to find trousers than it is a swimsuit!

Hi all!

No one wants to see anyone in their underwear walking thru a hotel lobby or sitting around a pool or spa. Just think about WWSD? (Santiago)

No one wants to see anyone in their underwear walking thru a hotel lobby or sitting around a pool or spa. Just think about WWSD? (Santiago)
I would never walk through a hotel lobby in my underwear! (In a robe on my way to the pool maybe). When you put it that way, though, it's clear I ought to bring the swimsuit.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Two caminos: French and Primitivo ; Took 3 pairs of undergarments AND the swimsuit (lol) Hardly wore the swimsuit- I would choose to lose the swim suit over the underwear...
Sometimes I did wear the swimsuit while I waited for laundry bc all 3 pairs were dirty. I really loved having a 3 day cycle instead of every other day wash.
Both started late June of the last two years- I did not take pants and did not regret that decision- happy and warm enough in shorts.

Two caminos: French and Primitivo ; Took 3 pairs of undergarments AND the swimsuit (lol) Hardly wore the swimsuit- I would choose to lose the swim suit over the underwear...
Sometimes I did wear the swimsuit while I waited for laundry bc all 3 pairs were dirty. I really loved having a 3 day cycle instead of every other day wash.
Both started late June of the last two years- I did not take pants and did not regret that decision- happy and warm enough in shorts.
I've rearranged my packing list to take three pairs of panties AND the swimsuit while keeping around 4.4 kg (sub 10lbs) base weight! I think I get to have it all: low pack weight, swimsuit, AND panties! 🤣

Neither the French nor the Primitivo go by the coast much, I think - so I am not surprised you didn't get much use out of your swimsuit. I am walking the Portuguese Coastal + Spiritual Variant + Finisterre + Muxia and expect to have multiple opportunities to dip into the ocean!

I can’t open your packing list. How much do your pants weigh? I have these incredibly light pants from old navy that I just wore on the coastal and I never wished I had shorts even on the 35 degree day. They are so light and cool and dry extremely fast. I brought 3 pairs and still came in at 12 lbs and I would have been fine with 2 pairs. I didn’t feel they needed to be washed after every wearing.

€46,-
I can’t open your packing list. How much do your pants weigh? I have these incredibly light pants from old navy that I just wore on the coastal and I never wished I had shorts even on the 35 degree day. They are so light and cool and dry extremely fast. I brought 3 pairs and still came in at 12 lbs and I would have been fine with 2 pairs. I didn’t feel they needed to be washed after every wearing.
That's weird. I think if you copy the URL and paste it into your browser it will work.

https://lighterpack.com/r/6ulwn5

I have swapped over to two pairs of shorts anyway. The original pants weighed 187g per pair and were quick dry ones from MEC (I once spilled a whole beer over myself and they were dry in 5 minutes! I still smelled like beer but at least I wasn't damp). The shorts (bermuda length) weigh 160g per pair.

In other news I realized the weight of my swimsuit is actually 143g (sadface). I had weighed only half of it and mis-entered it while I was fussing around.

Hi all!

My advice: Take the 3rd pair of pants (seriously), stick to 2 sports bras, and take swimwear.

I’ve just had to fly back to UK after slipping in the bathroom in an albergue at Rabalan del Camino and breaking my wrist. But my experience until that point was you simply do not notice a bit of extra light clothing here or there in your pack weight. I was so fed up without not having something other than clean hiking gear to wear after the end of a days walk and the shower, that when I arrived in Burgos, I bought two pairs of very light harem pants from the Sunday market, and a couple of touristy t-shirts. After 2 weeks into my Camino, I couldn’t feel it made any difference to my comfort in carrying my pack when I set out from Burgos to walk the Meseta. Seriously. Totally fine.

In other news I realized the weight of my swimsuit is actually 143g (sadface). I had weighed only half of it and mis-entered it while I was fussing around.
You will not notice the weight! I promise you

My advice: Take the 3rd pair of pants (seriously), stick to 2 sports bras, and take swimwear.

I’ve just had to fly back to UK after slipping in the bathroom in an albergue at Rabalan del Camino and breaking my wrist. But my experience until that point was you simply do not notice a bit of extra light clothing here or there in your pack weight. I was so fed up without not having something other than clean hiking gear to wear after the end of a days walk and the shower, that when I arrived in Burgos, I bought two pairs of very light harem pants from the Sunday market, and a couple of touristy t-shirts. After 2 weeks into my Camino, I couldn’t feel it made any difference to the weight of my pack when I set out from Burgos to walk the Meseta.
Thank you! Yes, I've decided to take the swimsuit and save weight elsewhere. Did a little trim of my first aid kit etc.

Thank you! Yes, I've decided to take the swimsuit and save weight elsewhere. Did a little trim of my first aid kit etc.
Make sure you have scissors, gauze pads, micropore tape, compeeds or the like, antiseptic cream / ointment, and painkillers.

€46,-
Make sure you have scissors, gauze pads, micropore tape, compeeds or the like, antiseptic cream / ointment, and painkillers.
Thanks!

I'm sorry to hear you slipped and broke your wrist. I hope you heal well and get better soon!

Imodium or equivalent is also a very handy and certainly worth its minimal weight. You may not need it, but if you do you will want it right away and not want to wait for the next open farmacia. I only used it once on my last Camino but was exceedingly happy to have it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Imodium or equivalent is also a very handy and certainly worth its minimal weight. You may not need it, but if you do you will want it right away and not want to wait for the next open farmacia. I only used it once on my last Camino but was exceedingly happy to have it.
I have: acetaminophen/paracetamol, ibuprofen, Imodium, Gravol, Benadryl, and cetirizine! In addition to my prescription meds. I definitely wouldn’t leave without the Imodium. When you need it, you really need it!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.