• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack transport and storage Pamplona to Lisbon

Cleenjones

CF 2022 Le Puy 2023
Time of past OR future Camino
CF: September 2022
Le Puy: September 2023
I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered on the forum.

Does anyone have experience with, or advice on shipping a pack from Pamplona to Lisbon for extended storage (6 weeks)?

Many thanks & Buen Camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered on the forum.

Does anyone have experience with, or advice on shipping a pack from Pamplona to Lisbon for extended storage (6 weeks)?

Many thanks & Buen Camino
Cross border private package delivery is surprisingly difficult. There are a few private companies. Our experience was that they fair but expensive. Our experience for Santiago-Lisboa last year with official Spanish mail was ok, but after it crossed the border and was put into Portuguese mail, they “lost” (stole) it. The tracking number (Spain and Portugal) trace showed it in Lisbon, but the mail staff just shrugged their shoulders. I spent a lot of phone cash trying to retrieve it but just got the runaround. I spoke to others that lost their BIKES that way. The Camino Portuguese and Francés were beautiful and we will do Norte next year. But many of our memories were lost by those thieves. My advice: use private and pay the money. Contact your hotel in Lisboa to see if they will keep it for you. Most do for a small fee, if any. Have the shipper deliver it direct to the hotel. Be SURE to get the EXACT Lisboa address and leave instructions for them to contact you when it arrives. Bom Caminho !!
DB&CB

Cross border private package delivery is surprisingly difficult. There are a few private companies. Our experience was that they fair but expensive. Our experience for Santiago-Lisboa last year with official Spanish mail was ok, but after it crossed the border and was put into Portuguese mail, they “lost” (stole) it. The tracking number (Spain and Portugal) trace showed it in Lisbon, but the mail staff just shrugged their shoulders. I spent a lot of phone cash trying to retrieve it but just got the runaround. I spoke to others that lost their BIKES that way. The Camino Portuguese and Francés were beautiful and we will do Norte next year. But many of our memories were lost by those thieves. My advice: use private and pay the money. Contact your hotel in Lisboa to see if they will keep it for you. Most do for a small fee, if any. Have the shipper deliver it direct to the hotel. Be SURE to get the EXACT Lisboa address and leave instructions for them to contact you when it arrives. Bom Caminho !!
DB&CB
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I'm sorry to hear that it wasn't a good one. I'll keep looking for a private company.

Bon Camino
CJ

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
DB&CB
Many times what happens when you send things across the border with the post office is the following.

You ship it from France or Portugal with the post office there. Once it reaches Spain most of the time (depending on the shipping product you bought I think) it does not get taken over by the Spanish post office, but by a private shipper in Spain that has a deal with the French/Portuguese post office. This is why the Spanish post office will not be able to help in many cases, since they never had anything to do with the shipment.

From my experience, if a parcel did have a problem (incorrect or not complete) address. It will not be sent to Spain (from France or Portugal), but sent to a storage facility in that country (could be Lisbon). They did not steal it, they just don't know what to do with it.

How can you get it back? By going to the company where you shipped it from (Portuguese or French post office). Yes, back to a Portuguese or French post office. This can be a pain if you are in Santiago. Calling might do it, but their customer service is close to zero on the phone.

Solution: Send it with a private shipper. From Portugal I like to recommend people go to "Mailboxes ETC" office. They ship with many private shippers like DHL, FedEx, UPS,... since it goes with the same company from start to finish, customer service is better.

That said, I do receive a lot of shipments from the Portuguese and the French post office every year. I would say 95% of the shipments go just fine... it is just a pain when you are in that 5% group.

Conclusion: Noone is stealing. Shipping is complicated... especially across borders.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back