• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing for September-October..

Time of past OR future Camino
See Signature
Ok, its getting down to the wire before I leave (8 more sleeps!) and I am a bit frustrated about my pack weight. I'm having a difficult time packing for cooler temperatures in the morning and evening but also packing for the warm temperatures during the day while walking..and keeping it to 10% of my body weight. I am 5'10 and weigh 135(ish), so my pack weight should only be 13 pounds...if I go by what I've read on this forum. I am at 17 lbs. and that's without water. My fleece is a 14.7oz, almost a pound..I know I will need it, but I also know I will be packing it most of the time.
I have seen the packing lists, and they have been very helpful in nailing down the essentials, and choosing lightweight and quick drying fabrics, but it seems like those lists are more geared for summer walking? I need a hat and gloves, a fleece..colder weather items. But I also need to pack shorts and tshirts. See my dilemma?
So, considering my tall, and rather thin build, does that allow me to carry a little more? What I am trying to ask is, can I carry more weight than a smaller woman weighing as much as I do? I'm trying to imagine a 200 pound man or woman only packing 20 pounds and I would think he or she could physically carry more. Right? Especially if they are taller? Am I right or am I just trying to justify all 17 pounds of my pack..??!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Layers. If it is cold, which it probably will not be, you wear a t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, windbreaker, and poncho. Leave the fleece. Wear everything to sleep if you need to. One pants, one shorts (or two convertible pants). Two pair of socks, and wash one each night. Take a button flashlight rather than one that uses AA batteries. Take only a sleeping bag liner, and ask for a blanket if you need one. Take nothing that you "might need." Take it only if you WILL use it. No cup. No plate. No utensils. Absolute minimum electronics. One guide book, and no other paper except your passport and credential. You do not need to fill your water bottle unless it will be a long, hot stretch.

No one cares what you look like (or even smell like within limits), so no style. No changes of clothes just for their own sake.

It is not that you cannot carry a heavier pack, but you will not want to. Each ounce is carried for a million steps.

Buen camino!

I'm in the same boat, seemingly unable to get my pack under 20lbs. My best advice is that ounces count. It seems silly to be weighing things like t-shirts, but some really do weigh quite a bit more than others. Choosing the Ex Officio Javatech shirts over the REI ones saved me almost half a pound for all shirts combined. Ditching the REI "Travel Sack", which weighs 27 oz for the Marmot Plasma 40, which weighs just 19-20 oz saved almost half pound. I replaced my Columbia fleece jacket with an old REI fleece shirt and that saved another 4 oz or so. Then, I found another one at North Face that was 5 oz lighter than that! Now, I'm down to things like replacing my head lamp (3x AAA batteries) with a smaller Petzl one that takes 2x 2032 button cells. There's another 2 oz saved. A new microfiber towel saved another 4 oz over my old one. The 2 Eagle Creek packing cubes I was using weighed around 7 oz. Replacing them with the new ultralight cubes saved 5 oz of that weight. I finally dumped my Keen Newport sandals, which I really wanted to bring, but they weigh 14oz for the pair. A pair of Sanuk camp shoes and Teva Moosh sandals together weigh around 7oz.

Since you're from the PNW, you live near an REI. Loads of great options for lightening up the load there. Layering is a key concept that can free you from things like fleece jackets that weigh almost a whole pound.

So, pay attention to the ounces. They really add up. Good luck!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I took many things with me and "donated" a pair of socks, flip flops and a towel etc to the hostels - because I had to much with me ... At the beginning they have those huge boxes with stuff it's like "give and take" whatever you want to get rid off or what you need. Instead of a fleece dress in layers and take a windbreaker with you?!

Hi TammyLynn

You are taller than my wife and you weigh slightly more than she does. She is leaving a few days behind you and she will carrying approximately 8.5 kilos or about 18 lbs, which I might suggest is slightly less than she carried walking the Via de la Plata this past spring. This past spring she carried about 10 kilos.

I myself was carrying approximately 14 kilos or about 30 lbs and I weight only 195 lbs

It is really hard to follow the 10% body weight rule in my experience. Some do and I am sure many of this forum will come forward to say so.

Better to find a comfortable weight that you are able to carry day in and day out.

Hi! Heed Falcon's advice. You just need layers and you will be taking them on and off as the days goes by. I walked in April this year and heeded his advice. A million steps with stuff you may use is not worth it. On the day I caught the plane I did a final check of my backpack and ditched some small items. I was glad I did. You carry that backpack all day every day. However if you want a break from the back pack then use a courier service when you feel the need. Enjoy, take a risk. Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow, what great advice, thank you, the fleece is out! The Camino has already begun for me by letting go of the things I think I 'need'...
So, I don't have a poncho..I have a rain jacket and rain pants. You think I need both?

Yes, I was surprised to see how heavy my fleece jacket is once I weighed it. This North Face RDT fleece shirt is around 1/2 the weight. It's not as thick, but then again I figured with a long sleeve base layer underneath it and a good shell it will be adequate when walking along. I wear about the same amount of insulation while skiing and that's in much lower ambient temps. Of course, it won't be very warm when standing still in cold weather, but we'll be moving, right? The rain pants were one of the things that I let go. I did some test walks in the rain with my usual North Face stretchy zip off pants, and they seemed to shed water pretty well. They did end up a little damp, but those synthetic materials just don't absorb very much water and they dry really fast. Within 30 minutes of being back inside, they were pretty dry. That was another 8oz or so saved. I am not bringing a poncho either because I figured that a good shell will be mandatory at that time of year, even for walking around town in the evenings going to dinner and such. So for me, it's a shell and a waterproof pack cover.

The shell is one area where I decided not to compromise. A lot of people use the O2 Helium, which is super lightweight, at under 7oz. But it just seemed so fragile when I held it, almost like tissue paper. I wasn't convinced it would stand up being worn under a pack over many weeks/miles. I finally decided to go with the Arcteryx Theta SL, which is one of the lightest shells they make (13oz), yet still seems very durable. The women's version is here. It is a long jacket that comes down to thigh level, so keeps the backside dry. These Arcteryx jackets are so durable. I have a Theta AR from 1999 (18oz and quite thick) that still works perfectly for skiing and still looks almost new, even though it's been all over the world. They seem expensive at first, but are really the cheapest when you consider how long they last.

Susann, did you find that you didn't need the flip flops? I'd like to leave them behind and just bring the Sanuk Donnys, which I use as recovery shoes, for walking around town in the evenings, etc. People always seem to be saying that they need flip flops for the showers.

I took many things with me and "donated" a pair of socks, flip flops and a towel etc to the hostels - because I had to much with me ... At the beginning they have those huge boxes with stuff it's like "give and take" whatever you want to get rid off or what you need. Instead of a fleece dress in layers and take a windbreaker with you?!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
[quote="TammyLynn, post: 153075, member: 29151"and keeping it to 10% of my body weight. I am 5'10 and weigh 135(ish), so my pack weight should only be 13 pounds...i

So, considering my tall, and rather thin build, does that allow me to carry a little more? What I am trying to ask is, can I carry more weight than a smaller woman weighing as much as I do? I'm trying to imagine a 200 pound man or woman only packing 20 pounds and I would think he or she could physically carry more. Right? Especially if they are taller? Am I right or am I just trying to justify all 17 pounds of my pack..??![/quote]

Ignore the 10% rule. You're not "average" whatever that means. It's not really about height but about fitness. A person can be 135 and pudgy. A person can be 135 and extremely lean. The stringy muscular person will likely be able to carry more then the pudgy out of shape person.

Pack the thing and go for a walk. How does it feel?

Layers, layers, layers. Left rain pants and jacket in albergue and got myself a rain poncho on route... September last year was still very hot, did not need anything warm. October it cooled off and I bought what I needed. Not sure what the weather is like this year, but last year not 1 rain day in September, and only a few in October. Totally agree with Falcon. Buen Camino

Well, now you've got me re-thinking my shell, Ingrid. :eek: That'd be 13 oz saved. And if I followed Falcon's advice and left my sleeping bag, that'd be another 19 oz for a total of 32oz! That would bring the pack down to around 18lbs.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well, now you've got me re-thinking my shell, Ingrid. :eek: That'd be 13 oz saved. And if I followed Falcon's advice and left my sleeping bag, that'd be another 19 oz for a total of 32oz! That would bring the pack down to around 18lbs.

If I were you I would leave that sleeping bag at home.
Too warm and too expensive to take on the camino.
I got three sleeping bags and I'm taking the lightest and cheapest with me. Imagine if there are bed bugs. Don't know if they will ever disappear from a big fluffy down sleeping bag, or how to get rid of them.

... and I am a bit frustrated about my pack weight. I'm having a difficult time packing for cooler temperatures in the morning and evening but also packing for the warm temperatures during the day while walking..and keeping it to 10% of my body weight. ...

The easiest way for us to help you is to post your packing list here, then we can all have a look and give you feedback. SY

I always travel in sept and october. In spain, I like a light sleeping bag, an extra pair of pants , I like a couple of T shirts, a thin long sleeve shirt, an a vest. For warmth it was just bearly enough in some places. I haven't experienced much rain, maybe because I have only been as far west as Astorga. Last year I took a 3/4 length unlined rain jacket I bought off the clearence rack at eddie beauer. It's maybe a bit heavy but it seems to keep the rain out. The only electronics a very small camera. I will soon be on my way back to France and for this trip I am taking a silk liner and leaving the sleeping bag at home. In France I found that most places I stayed at had clean sheets etc makeing the bag redundent. I am also thinking of taking a lightweight fleece top as I'll be walking in the mountains. I am 6'4in and weight 225 lbs. My pack weights in around 8 klios of which almost two kilos are a cpap machine and mask.
I like the idea of starting with a small back pack, it helps me with focus.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I got some great walking sandals which I also used in the shower, you could remove the back part strap of the sandal and had "slippers" (the back part was connected with a Velcro).... Sorry but English is my second language and I hope this makes sense

Skip your gloves. Really no need for that. If it is cold in the morning you just have your hands in your sleeves of your long sleeved shirt/poncho/rain jacket. I am leaving in less than two weeks and just cut 150 unnecessary grams of straps from my back pack. I have also been cutting of lots of small things from my clothes and gear. I am 156 cm tall, 59 kgs and aim to travel with 6 kilos including water: My Osprey Talon back pack weights approx 800 grams, I have only one pair of zippable pants, a super-light dress and light wool scarf for the evenings, a thin rain jacket, no rain pants, one small piece of soap for body and washing clothes. No guide book. Instead I will bring double-side copied pages from my guide book and ditch them as I go (only the pages I think that I need, which will not be many). I have checked every little piece of my luggage and thought three to four times if I really need it. Only two items that I am still thinking of is if I should bring my super-thin fleece jacket (less than 250 grams) and my light weight sleeping bag (450 grams). I do have a long sleeved shirt and a rain jacket so I really do not need the fleece, but it would make really nice pillow... ;-). Now that I wrote that I realized I can use my wool scarf as a pillow. So I will leave the fleece at home. I got a super super light weight air plane blanket from a friend and together with a silk liner it would probably weight less than my sleeping bag, so I might go for that instead. Mid to end of September in Spain should be really warm, except for a few places.

I promise you will not miss your things you leave at home. And if something is missing the Camino will surely provide. Buen Camino!

People always seem to be saying that they need flip flops for the showers.
Try to avoid anything that is single-use, such as flip flops for the shower. Even though they are pretty light, so are Crocs. You can actually walk in Crocs if blisters get bad; not far, in my opinion, but a short day. Ditto sandals, though I find them much heavier than Crocs. Does it go without saying that you do not take a second pair of hiking shoes/boots? If it doesn't, I am saying. If you end up with a boot disaster, take a bus or taxi to the next city, and buy new footwear.

I find rain pants too much effort. Either I let my legs get wet when wearing shorts, or settle for pants legs getting wet if it is a bit chilly.

If you are a severe critic of what you really will use, your pack will come down in weight. No duplicate ANYTHING, by the way -- soap, toothpaste, etc. You can replenish anywhere along the way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm always taking my fleece.
It's snuggly in the chilly mornings and a dressy enough jacket for evenings.
And ok for wandering European cities after Caminoing.

I am 5'10 and weigh 135(ish), so my pack weight should only be 13 pounds...if I go by what I've read on this forum. I am at 17 lbs. and that's without water. ...
So, considering my tall, and rather thin build, does that allow me to carry a little more? What I am trying to ask is, can I carry more weight than a smaller woman weighing as much as I do? I'm trying to imagine a 200 pound man or woman only packing 20 pounds and I would think he or she could physically carry more. Right? Especially if they are taller? Am I right or am I just trying to justify all 17 pounds of my pack..??!

My first comment is be careful of the so-called 10% rule. It is one of the classic magic numbers of the Camino, and I have yet to find anyone who can point to an authoritative source. It might work quite well in summer if you can tolerate some discomfort and have the budget for lighter gear. In September, you will be walking in late summer/early autumn. Autumn pack weights could be up to 25% heavier than what you might achieve for summer, depending upon how resilient you are to the cold.

Second, there is no way of answering the question about whether you can carry more than a smaller women simply and in a relevant way. Yes you can, but does it make sense to do so? Every bit of extra weight will slow you down, so its about choosing a balance between making sure you are at least safe, and possible even moderately comfortable in the conditions, and how fast you can go and the distances you can cover each day.

There are good sources for using a 'from the skin out' or FSO approach when doing your weight budget. The hiking classic, The Complete Plain Walker, suggests an FSO target of 20% of your body mass for comfortable trekking, and a maximum of 30%. At about 61kg, an FSO20 target would give you a weight budget of 12kg. This is an all up weight including water, food, worn and carried items. If your pack is currently at 7.7kg, that only leaves 4.3kg for your worn items, food and water. This may sound a lot, but it will quickly get eaten up. If you get your pack weight down to 6kg, you will have a margin of 6kg for those other things.

In all this, you don't have to religiously meet a particular weight target. If you can get below 10% or FSO20, you will be much more comfortable and able to put in longer distances for the same time on the road. If you don't, and go a bit over, it will slow you down, but maybe not that much that it makes a big difference. Once you are underway, you will quickly work out whether you really need everything you have packed, and make a decision on whether to leave it or post it on to yourself further down the track.

Regards,

Another equipment suggestion...

About a dozen years ago my wife and I attended a presentation about the Pacific Crest Trail. Two youngish hikers presented their slides and narrative and eventually there was a discussion about the equipment that the hikers had selected. The subject of fleece came up. As I recall the answer was something like "No way... too heavy and takes too long to dry. We used light Primaloft-insulated sweaters." We were in the process of gearing up for hiking and we each bought a Primaloft sweater. Mine is a full zip jacket with a deep, zippered breast pocket. I have used this piece of lightweight layering countless times and it accompanied me on my Camino last spring (when cooler weather prevailed). At night I placed a type of "ziplock" bag with all of our valuables (passports, money, credit cards, and pilgrim credentials) in the roomy breast pocket and stuffed it into the bottom of my sleeping bag. (You could do the same with your liner if you don't bring a bag.) If the dormitory room was cold, I gathered the sweater around my upper torso for extra warmth. I am running out of time or I would get a scale and weigh both my Primaloft sweater and an equivalent fleece (I have those, too) to give you a weight comparison, but I have to leave my computer.

Buen Camino.

Tom

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Setting aside the cost of things for a moment, is a 550 gram sleeping bag that packs into a 30 x 17cm stuff sack really too large or heavy for the Camino? Here in the Pacific Northwest, we are awash in high tech outdoor gear and I could not find anything lighter other than a silk liner, which itself is 220g. My first instinct was also to find something cheap and purchased the REI Travel Sack, which is quite functional, inexpensive at just $59, and packs into a very compact space. The trouble with it is that it is quite heavy at 765g and not very warm at all.

I spoke with the nice people down at Feathered Friends here in Seattle about custom building a bag that would come in under 500g. It can be done using the most high tech materials and the best quality goose down, but it would mean eliminating the zipper, or at least keeping it no longer than 1/3 length or so. That would mean the bag could not be opened up for use as a duvet, limiting its usefulness in warmer temps. Mountain Hardware is already mass-producing something along those lines. The first company to break through the 500g barrier in any substantive way is Sea to Summit with their new Spark Spl, which comes in at an amazing 348g. Unfortunately, it is not shipping until the end of Sept, so not an option for those of us leaving this week. But for those of you with more time to spare, it's a very interesting option.

As far as bedbugs are concerned, I treated the bag, liner, pack and boots with Permetherin, so hopefully the bedbugs will stay away.

None of this lightweight stuff is inexpensive. When it comes to outdoor gear, "lightest" and "cheapest" almost never coexist.

If I were you I would leave that sleeping bag at home.
Too warm and too expensive to take on the camino.
I got three sleeping bags and I'm taking the lightest and cheapest with me. Imagine if there are bed bugs. Don't know if they will ever disappear from a big fluffy down sleeping bag, or how to get rid of them.

None of this lightweight stuff is inexpensive. When it comes to outdoor gear, "lightest" and "cheapest" almost never coexist.

My old sleeping bag was cheap (say 100 euro?) and it is 480 gram (Haglöfs lim 50) and it's coming with me again for the third time on the camino. :)
The most expensive sleeping bag I ever bought is my Western mountaineering ultralite and I would not take it on the camino. As we are sleeping indoors it would be like a portable sauna, far too hot, and, as one have to leave it on the bed while going out to eat etc I would be nervous it could disappear.
It's more relaxing to have simple things on the camino, me thinks.
But that's me.:)

Wow, that Haglöfs lim 50 looks fantastic! A bag that light with a full zip is very rare. I wish they were available here in the US. I did look at some of the ultralight Western Mountaineering bags and they are also a nice choice. They make a bag called the "Highlight" that is right at 450 grams or so.

Do people really steal sleeping bags in Albergues? Seriously, if it's gotten that bad, maybe it's time to think twice about walking Camino at all.

My old sleeping bag was cheap (say 100 euro?) and it is 480 gram (Haglöfs lim 50) and it's coming with me again for the third time on the camino. :)
The most expensive sleeping bag I ever bought is my Western mountaineering ultralite and I would not take it on the camino. As we are sleeping indoors it would be like a portable sauna, far too hot, and, as one have to leave it on the bed while going out to eat etc I would be nervous it could disappear.
It's more relaxing to have simple things on the camino, me thinks.
But that's me.:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wow, that Haglöfs lim 50 looks fantastic! A bag that light with a full zip is very rare. I wish they were available here in the US. I did look at some of the ultralight Western Mountaineering bags and they are also a nice choice. They make a bag called the "Highlight" that is right at 450 grams or so.

Do people really steal sleeping bags in Albergues? Seriously, if it's gotten that bad, maybe it's time to think twice about walking Camino at all.
Actually I have never heard about sleeping bags getting stolen, thank god. :)
It's usually smaller things like phones.

is a 550 gram sleeping bag that packs into a 30 x 17cm stuff sack really too large or heavy for the Camino?
In September, yes. Some days will be so hot that sleeping will be difficult. You will be indoors. Even if it is cool outside, your room will have several or dozens of warm bodies in it. Take the lightest sleep sack you can find, and use blankets if it ever get cold.

... It can be done using the most high tech materials and the best quality goose down, ...

In my experience, forget about down and go for synthetics instead, down tends to clump in humidity (sweat!) and doesn't take well to being compressed and re-packed all the time, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
How comfortable is it to sleep in a silk liner compared to a sleeping bag?

So, I don't have a poncho..I have a rain jacket and rain pants. You think I need both?
I would pick one or the other and my pick would be the poncho--- it should cover your back pack, much easier to get in and out, it will be much better circulation of moisture underneath, and most ponchos are really lightweight one-piece. The fact is that when it rains torrentially on the Camino NOTHING is waterproof, so go with the Poncho.

TammyLynn; My pack, total weight is 12.5 pounds - 6 of which is my travel writing kit/camera. Once change of clothes, few bits and bobs.

It's not what you could carry, but as said, mainly what you need. Style, fashion and trends go out the window when it's 90 degrees with 90 percent humidity and you walk uphill for a few miles. You will get sweaty, as do most of us - so you'll be in good, smelly company :D

Kimmy; How comfortable is it to sleep in a silk liner compared to a sleeping bag?
Depends on the temperature.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Skip your gloves. Really no need for that.
No, no, no-- I grabbed a pair of gloves on my way out the door to the airport as I left this past May for the Camino. The BEST, BEST, BEST accessory I took with me. It rained every single day Logroño to Burgos and the pair of gloves brought me so much comfort; I was soo glad I had them. Sure you can buy a pair in Spain, but I had them on my backpack already and that felt good! :p

It seems to me that the measure of need is what one needs to be comfortable and not miserable. For example--I would be more comfortable having a pair of gloves when the wind is blowing and it is threatening snow or rain--being comfortable makes walking so much better.

Big agree on the gloves. I'm picking up a pair in Pamplona (can't get'em for love nor money in England - "'cuz it's summer and you don't need gloves" o_O ... silly people).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ok I have reorganized. Dumped the 2.2 lb sleeping bag and went with liner and sarong (multi use). I dumped the pillow and rain pants. Got a cheap poncho (might get a better one if I find I need it). My pack came with a cover. Wearing running pants for rain or shorts. Bringing the rain jacket because it will make a great windbreaker too. Got rid of one pair of long pants and kept the pair with zip off legs. Got rid of some first aid stuff. And sorry falcon, I kept the fleece! I can sleep in it if I'm too cold with only a liner and I know I will use it in the evening. The thought of bed bugs stuck inside my new $300 sleeping bag disturbed me, so that's staying home! I sprayed my liner with permethrin and my pack too, hopefully I will avoid those critters. So, with all of those adjustments and a few other minor items my pack is a total of 15.5 lbs!! I will be wearing a couple pounds, but add a pound for water = 14.5 pounds. 10% of 135 is 13.5lb. So, I am a little over, but I'm pretty proud of my pack weight now. Thank you everyone for your input, this forum is a lifesaver!
Ohh, and the gloves are in the pack!

TammyLynn; My pack, total weight is 12.5 pounds - 6 of which is my travel writing kit/camera. Once change of clothes, few bits and bobs.

It's not what you could carry, but as said, mainly what you need. Style, fashion and trends go out the window when it's 90 degrees with 90 percent humidity and you walk uphill for a few miles. You will get sweaty, as do most of us - so you'll be in good, smelly company :D

I put my little journal, pen, and camera in my front waist bag along with passport and money, credit card. Saved weight on my back!

That's my question too?
Our sleeping bags were bought in the local supermarket and weigh just over 1 kg. we don't have much to choose from here, so have to make do with what is available. We are considering trying in a local sports shop in Oviedo when we arrive and if lucky ditch the old faithfuls. However we have also thought about silk sleeping bag liners, hence the question!
Gloves: a most definite for me ( have walked 4 times late Sept until mid Oct to even later. I tried covering my hands with my jacket but.......not much good!
Fleece: didn't know that a fleece could weigh so much! Mine weighs about 250g and I love it. ( also useful on the plane, where they insist on putting the air-co far too high). For me, it's a comfort item. I would rather ditch a tee-shirt or two, but my fleece - NO!
I weight 58 kgs ( should be 60kgs, but I just had my appendix out and lost a couple of kgs on the way) and my pack weighs in at around 6 kgs. Still have to add the small bottle of water ( you can fill up most villages, and only when you have a very long distance between villages, say 10 kms or more, then double up).
Hubby carries the documents, cel phone and IPod ( not IPad) and the various chargers. I carry the camera and the washing things ( soap, clothes pegs, shampoo, toothpaste and minimum of medical supplies). By minimum. I mean two pills of iboprufen, two acetominofen, some plasters and a crepe bandage. For soap and toothpaste we start off with a weeks supply and then buy once on the Camino. Anne

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm always taking my fleece.
It's snuggly in the chilly mornings and a dressy enough jacket for evenings.
And ok for wandering European cities after Caminoing.
I'm bringing mine too. I love my fleece and that was harder to pull out of my pack than the sleeping bag!
I'm bringing mine too. I love my fleece and that was harder to pull out of my pack than the sleeping bag!

Actually...I let it go. It's not worth it's weight. I am instead taking a breathable running jacket which will be better for layering my north face windbreaker/rain coat over and will be great for layering thin shirts underneath. I've made some large strides today thanks to all who contributed to this thread! I went from the original weight of 22 lbs, down to 17 lbs. then AGAIN down to 14.5!!! I will be wearing 1.5 lb so I am exactly at my target 10% of my body weight!!!
What a process it is to let go of things...and excited to find what other things in my everyday life I also need to let go of....I like where this journey is taking me already. Excited for 40 days of enlightenment and spiritual guidance . Life is too busy and too naturally materialistic to let these spiritual experiences in...I'm opening the channels. No road blocks and no fears. Willing and Ready to keep it simple!

A silk liner is just that, a bag made from silk, like a sheet sown together. Not warm at all and you will need blankets (which are not always clean) to sleep comfortable when it is not warm / hot. Sleeping bags exist for many temperature zones, so that you can chose the one you need in order to stay warm and cozy. SY

Great work with you packing Tammy! Seems your camino has really started in full already.

If I take a silk liner I will also bring a super light blanket - I was wondering about the material itself. Is it more or less comfy to sleep in than a synthetic sleeping bag?

I will also bring a super light blanket
Albergues have blankets; save the weight!

That said, I have a soft Tyvek sheet that weighs 5.6 oz. that I use as a blanket sometimes. It is treated with permethrin, and adds about 10F of warmth. With my nylon sleep sack, which coincidentally also weighs 5.9 oz., I get about 20F of warmth, plenty for me in a 50F albergue. If it is colder than that, I use the albergue's blanket.

I, too, really like my fleece (love is too strong a word; sorry) because it just feels warm. :) My nylon Victorinox windbreaker does not feel as snuggly, but it is waterproof, has a hood, and is very warm at 6.45 oz. It is just large enough to cover my small string pack so that everything is kept dry during a rainy day in town. Layering a synthetic t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, windbreaker, and poncho (Packa at 13.4 oz.), I cannot get cold in spring, summer, and fall. I do add the fleece for November through March.

This thread has been great and has really inspired me to look for further reductions in weight. I did end up pulling out a few more things and now my overall pack weight is 18lbs, or just under 8.2kg. Got rid of the Kindle, my extra camera lens, another t-shirt and pulled a few things out of their plastic containers and put them into ziplocs.In the end, I decided to "splurge" on two luxury items: the 550g sleeping bag and the 420g Arcteryx rain shell. There are lighter rain shells, but my experience with them is that they are very fragile and easily damaged, particularly when being rubbed with pack straps for days on end. Even after a 4-5 day backpacking trip, they can get pretty beaten up. Because of the climate here in Seattle, we are sort of rain jacket aficionados. ;)

As to the bag...well, I just think back to all those times in China, India, Morocco and the Middle East when good wool blankets are available, but you sleep so much better in your own lightweight down bag, even in an auberge in the Spanish Sahara on a chilly fall evening. I am sure that I could do with just the silk liner on the Camino, but I am also sure that I will sleep better with my own down bag, used either as a sleeping bag, or unzipped and used as a duvet.

So there it is. I might end up regretting the weight of these few extra luxuries, but I am starting on 10 Sep and potentially walking until the 3rd week in Oct, so maybe they will yet prove their worth. I think an 18lb pack is plenty light enough for me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Jim, would you mind sharing with us how much you have spent chasing this Nirvana of lighter gear? I tried doing an estimate based on your earlier posts, and got to over USD1000 using prices from REI before I stopped, and you have just listed two other very expensive items. I know that I would have difficulty spending that much as well as paying for travel from Australia and all the other costs. I am sure others watching this discussion will be in similar circumstances.

You're probably in the neighborhood, Doug, but fortunately late summer is the season of sales at the outdoor gear companies as they prepare for the winter. Marmot just had their annual 20% sale, as did REI, Altrec and others. Taking advantage of these and using the REI annual dividend helped take the sting out if it. Bear in mind that alot of the gear I mentioned was stuff the I tried out and returned under REI's very liberal return policy (though I am careful to not abuse it). I think they give you something like a year to return anything for any reason, even if the item is not defective. Also, here in the Pacific Northwest, we spend a lot of time in outdoor pursuits, so most of us have collections of this stuff that has built up over the years. TammyLynn, for example, lives near several wilderness areas with excellent skiing, mountaineering, white water kayaking/rafting and camping so she probably already has most of what she needs for the Camino. Because of these wonderful natural resources, quite a few innovative outdoor gear companies are based here, so we're always seeing the latest-greatest stuff in the field.

I will admit to over-optimizing everything and perhaps that is something to leave behind on the Camino. But on the other hand, that tendency is kind of hard-wired into those of us in the technology world and especially here in Seattle. We ship some whizbang new software, gadget or online service and the following day we are hard at work on a new version that's faster, smaller, lighter and better. At times, I wish we could just slow it down a little.

One of the things that resonated with me on this thread was Falcon's comment about only taking things you WILL need, and not things you MIGHT need. That reminds me of the 80% rule that the iPhone team followed in determining features for the first release back in 2007. The rule was that only features that would be use by 80% of users would be included. That's good advice for the Camino as well as technology development! :D

Last edited:
I try to find a balance between buying and bringing expensive gear and taking something simple, cheap and practical.

I have seen too many people leave behind $150 dollar poles, $250 sunglasses, $30 pairs of underwear and $100 shirts. This does not include the lost or stolen cameras and iphones and other techie stuff that goes missing each year.

I didn't have a problem when I have left behind my cheap $16 hiking stick one year, and I wont care when my $9 camino t shirt I have 6 used times, finally kicks the bucket. I continue to wear the same old underwear hoping that they might finally fall apart but alas ... they are still here

However good foot wear is important but again I resoled my Vasque hiking boots three times before finally buying a new pair this past spring.

People can fret about the weight of this and that or the quality of this or that but stop and buy an apple, a bag of nuts and a bottle of water and suddenly those micro ounces you wanted to save, have gone up away. Nothing like picking up a cheap $5 t shirt to replace the $50 micro fibre fast drying shirt you leave hanging on the line 15 kilometres back. Feels almost liberating!

I have seen people from all walks of life wearing all types of clothing which I am sure was the norm throughout the centuries past. But I am sure, like today, people back in the medieval days chatted, argued and discussed the benefits of wool vs heap or if Peter's sandals were better than somebody's else or something like. I am sure when the weather suddenly turned cooler and wetter later in the year, others were quick to point the benefits of double weaved wool tops over fancy quick dry cotton tops, etc...

Thus is life and thus is the camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Jim, thanks for sharing your approach. The benefits of REI seem quite good! Certainly there are no retailers that I know of in Australia that would be so generous about returns. Nonetheless, if cost is no object, then getting overall pack weight down is somewhat easier than for those who need to be more strategic about what they buy.

Certainly sale shopping should be a key element of any strategy, but it needs to be matched with close attention to making sure that most of what one packs is multi-use, robust enough and getting the balance between being definitely going to be used and minimum necessary for safe walking but might not be used.

On this last point, I do not agree with some of the minimalists. Too many times they would ask other walkers to use things they had decided they could do without but suddenly found they needed. There is a level of self-sufficiency, even when walking through villages and towns every day, that some minimalists don't achieve.

On the theme of self-sufficiency, there was some discussion on this a while ago here. Having started that, in 2012 on St Olav's Way, I met a woman who criticised the size of my pack one day, wanted to borrow my phone the next and then my ultrasil daypack a couple of days later.

Hopefully people with new gear will become Camino and outdoor addicts and will use their stuff more than just on this Camino. At least for my part I have been very picky in my choices of new gear. EVERYTHING must be usable in my regular walks and outdoor activities as well as on the next Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
TAMMY lYNN
Just go with the flow I have looked at my gear many times (being a first timer leaving in 11 days) but I realise that worrying about gear . Iis the last thing as yesterday out walking I felt no worry for the first time just excitement If I have to much leave it If I forgotten something pick it up. To many great things to see and enjoy.

Trevor

Jim, thanks for sharing your approach. The benefits of REI seem quite good! Certainly there are no retailers that I know of in Australia that would be so generous about returns. Nonetheless, if cost is no object, then getting overall pack weight down is somewhat easier than for those who need to be more strategic about what they buy..
Well, for those of you living in a " first" world country, this possibility of buying things, trying them out and then, if not to the liking even after having worn it, returning the offending article, is for us, a non existing possibility. Actually incomprehensible for me. My sleeping bag was bought in a local supermarket in 2007 for the equivalent of $20 and, after 6 Camino's, its still going strong. My jacket was found in a second hand clothes shop for approx. $6. That first year, my boots were Merrels, but for men. I ended up with a lovely set of blisters. And so it goes on. Suddenly we have now a North Face store, a Timberland store, a Columbia store and a general Outdoors outfitters store! I have now splurged out on a new rain jacket by North Face. There would be NO WAY that I could ever return this jacket to the store. At the best, they might give me a credit note, but the original labels would still have to be attached. I love looking at REI's web page. I dream of all the things that I could buy, if I ever got to put my foot over their threshold! Last year, we needed new back packs, both of ours had totally disintegrated. We decided to order from REI, using a company who would then ship them from Miami to Costa Rica. We ordered them in March and they arrived mid-July! It wasn't a very good experiment! Right now, I'm looking for gaiters. I guess that I will have to take a chance and buy them, if possible in Oviedo, when we arrive there in a couple of weeks. ( in 2008 I actually tried to make them, using pictures on the web, but they didn't turn out very well)!:( Anne

Ok, its getting down to the wire before I leave (8 more sleeps!) and I am a bit frustrated about my pack weight. I'm having a difficult time packing for cooler temperatures in the morning and evening but also packing for the warm temperatures during the day while walking..and keeping it to 10% of my body weight. I am 5'10 and weigh 135(ish), so my pack weight should only be 13 pounds...if I go by what I've read on this forum. I am at 17 lbs. and that's without water. My fleece is a 14.7oz, almost a pound..I know I will need it, but I also know I will be packing it most of the time.
I have seen the packing lists, and they have been very helpful in nailing down the essentials, and choosing lightweight and quick drying fabrics, but it seems like those lists are more geared for summer walking? I need a hat and gloves, a fleece..colder weather items. But I also need to pack shorts and tshirts. See my dilemma?
TAMMY lYNN
Just go with the flow I have looked at my gear many times (being a first timer leaving in 11 days) but I realise that worrying about gear . Iis the last thing as yesterday out walking I felt no worry for the first time just excitement If I have to much leave it If I forgotten something pick it up. To many great things to see and enjoy.

Trevor
Well said Trevor! Take the absolute basics so you enjoy the walking. Water is about a kilo weight per litre. You need one pair of shorts, one pair of long pants, 2 pairs of sox (thick) and one pair thin as your feet will swell. I used a sarong instead of taking a towel - so versatile -

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back