• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing list feedback for Primitivo next week

quakingbear

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
Hey all!

Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36

For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs. I've done a number of training hikes carrying 20lbs over the past month. I'll also be hiking with my niece, so there are a few things here (first aid kit, toiletries, etc.) that has shared items, so I've got a little extra in those kits for 2 people. I'm also usually cold, so there's an extra layer(s) in here for sure given the cold, damp forecasts I'm seeing. I've also got an extra outfit since we'll be staying an extra week afterwards in Madrid.

I feel pretty good, especially when you subtract the CPAP, diabetic supplies and the extra outfit.

Thanks in advance!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Overall it looks good, whilst the toiletries and first aid weights seem rather high I understand your point that it's for two people not just one. The trimmer made me laugh, it's only two weeks!

I would ditch the extra carried t-shirt - keep the Merino, lose the other one. Personally I found my Merino t-shirts perfect even in July last year, served well to keep me warm and cool so I would have just two - one worn one carried. I would also lose the bandana - how are you going to wear a hat, a buff and a bandana?

I presume the toiletries include earplugs and a face mask for sleeping?

The weight of the chacos seems rather high - are you sure they weigh that much?

Comfort items are very individual (town outfit for example) - if you're comfortable with the weight that's all that really matters. Considering that you have to bring your CPAP and diabetic supplies I think you've done well.

There are always going to be those who would trim it to half the weight however I'm not one of them - go for it and enjoy!

Last edited:
If you’re an experienced hiker, you probably have your kit tailored to your needs, know it’s comfortable to carry, and are completely fine! Since you have various Patagonia and Mountain Hardware products listed have you tried the MH air mesh fleece? I find it very versatile and great for layering. I used one, with various other garments, in temperatures mid-30s-50s (Fahrenheit, 3-4 to 10-12 Celsius) on a Camino a few weeks ago and it was great. Cozy at night too but not hot at all.
I’m a multi-buff and pants person rather than shorts and hats but everyone has their own favorites. Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Overall it looks good, whilst the toiletries and first aid weights seem rather high I understand your point that it's for two people not just one. The trimmer made me laugh, it's only two weeks!

I would ditch the extra carried t-shirt - keep the Merino, lose the other one. Personally I found my Merino t-shirts perfect even in July last year, served well to keep me warm and cool so I would have just two - one worn one carried. I would also lose the bandana - how are you going to wear a hat, a buff and a bandana?

I presume the toiletries include earplugs and a face mask for sleeping?

The weight of the chacos seems rather high - are you sure they weigh that much?

Comfort items are very individual (town outfit for example) - if you're comfortable with the weight that's all that really matters. Considering that you have to bring your CPAP and diabetic supplies I think you've done well.

There are always going to be those who would trim it to half the weight however I'm not one of them - go for it and enjoy!
Thanks for the insight! I appreciate the balanced perspective.

Lol, but I'll definitely admit to the trimmer being unnecessary, but it's 125gr and I'm a baldie and absolutely hate hair. Been thinking about just hitting up barbers every couple of days though. Do you know if they're easy to find in towns?

I think I will probs ditch the extra tee. Mostly just didn't want to do laundry daily tbh. As for the bandana, I sweat a lot while hiking so it's for brow mopping and not wearing.

Yep, toiletries have those items included.

Chacos are that much unfortunately, even the clouds. Weighed em myself. I've had foot issues for years and have worn chacos without issue so I'm willing take the extra lb for foot mgmt. Figure I'd hike in them for a half day/day here and there for the change up.

Someone else on another forum suggested dropping the extra outfit and just buying something when I get to Madrid. I think I'll do that to save there.

If you’re an experienced hiker, you probably have your kit tailored to your needs, know it’s comfortable to carry, and are completely fine! Since you have various Patagonia and Mountain Hardware products listed have you tried the MH air mesh fleece? I find it very versatile and great for layering. I used one, with various other garments, in temperatures mid-30s-50s (Fahrenheit, 3-4 to 10-12 Celsius) on a Camino a few weeks ago and it was great. Cozy at night too but not hot at all.
I’m a multi-buff and pants person rather than shorts and hats but everyone has their own favorites. Buen Camino!
Thanks for sharing.

Im okay with the fleece as I already own it. Didn't want to buy even more stuff if I didn't need to. It's also wind/water resistant, so I wear it a lot of situations.

I don't think I've ever worn a floppy hat, or pants for that matter, while hiking so I'm still debating on dropping the hat and just wearing a ball cap and Buff for sun. But, definitely want pants for the trip even if I don't wear them hiking.

You might consider asking the hotel where you will be staying in Madrid if they will hold the things you will only use in Madrid, so you won't have to carry them on the Camino.

If you will be flying to Madrid first, you might stay in the same hotel at the beginning and the end and ask the hotel to hold things for you. And you can bring a few things on the plane to make your flight more comfortable and leave them behind as well. We've done this various places and it has worked out well.

If you won't be in Madrid at the beginning you might mail your things to your Madrid hotel for them to hold.

Before making reservations anywhere, ask about this and then choose a place that says yes. We've never had a place turn down this kind of request (including at airbnbs.)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Been thinking about just hitting up barbers every couple of days though. Do you know if they're easy to find in towns?
On the Primitivo - I really don't know, I took zero notice I'm afraid. I guess you could jump onto Google Maps and have a quick look at each major town along the way?

You are correct in that 125 grams isn't much, if you were to either buy a new outfit in Madrid or as suggested above if you're flying into Madrid and can leave your outfit there whilst your gone then you have more than saved the weight of your little trimmer.

As @Puck1 alluded to it's not exactly like you're a newbie, you've got hiking experience. Personally I think people get too hung up with target weights - it's all about comfort, as I said before if you're comfortable with it go for it.

'Comfort is King'!

OK, a little googling shows that barbers might work. And, I think I'll drop the extra outfit and get something in Madrid as needed.

I can also shed 1 of the long sleeve shirts and lean hard on the fleece. That's about a pound I can drop.

Hope the weather dries and warms 😂 if not, decathlon! Thanks all!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
I typically wash my clothes by hand with a bar of Lagarto soap. It’s non-chemical and is the soap I was introduced to back in Spain in the 70s. When you wash clothes by hand, you typically rub...
So, whatcha all buying? The sale and coupons are burning a hole in my pocket but I can’t decide what I want/need.
I’ll begin my Camino in July (Portuguese route), so it’s time to get shoes and break them in. I have seen posts about walking shoes and which ones people prefer, and I’ve read various articles...
Hi, I'm off to CDN tomorrow but this is in my mind. I got the baggage transfer from from Correos and I will going to walk from Irun to Llanes this time, so my plan is to carry a 22lts day pack and...
I have an iPhone 14 and got an eSIM one month contract with Orange when I arrived in Spain a month ago. Right away there were problems. It did most basic things, but I couldn’t use most WiFi...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.