• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Painting on the Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2016
Camino Frances 2017
Hi everyone,

Thought I'd mention this for anyone who might be interested or have some advice for me.

In Sept/Oct last year I completed my first Camino on the French way and documented my travels in a little watercolour journal. Had a great response from everyone that saw it and it got me thinking...

So this year (from September 8th) I will be walking the Frances again, and painting on loose sheets of roughly A4 paper. My plan is to try and sell these to fellow pilgrims as I go, exchanging paintings for what they would usually spare a day on a bed and a simple meal.

What do you think of this? Do you think this would be a fair exchange? Swapping art for money is always a complex thing, but I feel like they would be really great momentos for anyone sharing the path.

Video flip through of last years journal:

My current work:
https://www.facebook.com/RebeccaJaneArtist/

Thanks in advance for your advice.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Rebecca Jane Johnston welcome to the forum. I love, love, love your sketchbook! What a wonderful thing you have made for your memory box.

I think people would like a sketch very much, particularly those who are walking with you, and who see you working, so that it captures the moment and they know you are genuine.

The biggest problem would be cost, and carrying something so fragile in a backpack, subject to the rigours of the way. I can't imagine myself buying one until after I'd finished walking.

Thanks for the kind words! I had a flip through it yesterday and it reminded me of so many wonderful things I'd forgotten!

You make a good point about the damage, I'm worried enough about just carrying them myself. There were a few times last year where I sent items to friends in the post, so I'll recommend that maybe, otherwise I'll just have to very carefully carry them to Santiago!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A lovely idea. I took a small paint set and some postcard size paper on Camino. If a pack has a bladder pocket and you don't use a bladder the pocket makes great storage space for papers. Helps if they are in an envelope or plastic sleeve. Mine travelled safely that way.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Hi everyone,

Thought I'd mention this for anyone who might be interested or have some advice for me.

In Sept/Oct last year I completed my first Camino on the French way and documented my travels in a little watercolour journal. Had a great response from everyone that saw it and it got me thinking...

So this year (from September 8th) I will be walking the Frances again, and painting on loose sheets of roughly A4 paper. My plan is to try and sell these to fellow pilgrims as I go, exchanging paintings for what they would usually spare a day on a bed and a simple meal.

What do you think of this? Do you think this would be a fair exchange? Swapping art for money is always a complex thing, but I feel like they would be really great momentos for anyone sharing the path.

My current work:

I commend you on your artwork, but am less enthusiastic about your proposal to conduct commercial transactions on the Camino. I think it would be preferable, and indeed more practical, to offer fellow pilgrims the link to your website, leaving it open to them to purchase your paintings online if they wish to do so. Best wishes for your next venture.

Hi Paladina,

I appreciate what you are saying, and don't really intend for it to be a commercial endeavour as such. It was more to help me find a little extra for food and board as I don't exactly have a huge budget for this! My apologies, I didn't mean to offend!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Paladina,

I appreciate what you are saying, and don't really intend for it to be a commercial endeavour as such. It was more to help me find a little extra for food and board as I don't exactly have a huge budget for this! My apologies, I didn't mean to offend!

No offence taken, and thank you for the courteous response to a dissenter.

Your sketchbook is lovely! Your very own version of the credencial.

I cannot draw nor paint, but every time I walk the Caminos I wish I did. Imagine it can be a sort of meditation as one walks.

I also think that the issue will be for people to be able to carry your works without damaging them, which would be a pity. Good for the route from Santiago to Fisterra or Muxia, as people would have the Compostela tuba. But for before Santiago, what about something the size of a cuecard or postcard, a little stiff, and that could be tucked safely in the Brierley guidebook so many carry?

I don't see anything wrong with trying to help pay your way this way. You would be giving more this way than by using donativos and leaving very little. And it would also allow the buyer to enter into the spirit of helping, of giving. A win-win.

I can't help think that you could remove your thought/the writing which I assume is like a diary, and sell copies of the sketchbook for people to use as their own diary as they walk.

Best of luck on your Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Also great advice, thank you! It's looking like postcard size drawings would be the best option.

And maybe you should give drawing a go! I met a couple of people last year that were inspired to draw and it was one of my favourite things about the walk.

Hi, RBJ,

You have a very beautiful diary and I liked your paintings on your FB and web page very much. Do try with postcard format, it's excellent advice by @Anemone del Camino . Maybe even design the back as the real postcard? Or when someone buy your painting offer her/him a portrait as a pilgrim they can send home. I know I would buy such postcard with the portrait of me as a peregrino :)
Also if you will stay for additional day or two in Santiago there could be a place and time to sell some. I'm also an independent artist (film) and I know the hardships well that's why I don't see your idea as something bad. You aren't stealing from people, you are giving. Go girl!!!

Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi everyone,

My current work:

I cannot read the text in your watercolour journal, but I believe that the images and overall design are publication worthy, and will find an audience. Something to think about...

Love the portrait idea, if only I was better at drawing people!
No need to get better at portraits whatever that might mean, just remain yourself and continue with your style. I for sure like it very much! If I wanted the "real" portrait I can take a photo of me. I would be much happier to have somehow different portrait.

You surely experienced communal meals on your 2016 Camino. Sometimes one is buying food, the other one wine, two are preparing and cooking a meal and rest are washing the dishes. If you draw a painting or two of those people and hand them over to them I'm sure they would invite you for no cost to their dinner table. Maybe worth to try once or twice but otherwise stick to your plan would be my suggestion.

EDIT: If you can draw a house or a boat like they have souls just draw people the same way ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Rebecca Jane,
Perhaps you could get some large sheets of watercolour paper at home where you could cut them into pieces the size of the credential or a passport. The folks you sell/exchange the paintings with would have a place to keep the artwork safe and the pieces wouldn't be so big that they could be damaged.
You could divide the pile of small sheets into three or four piles and when you get to a town with a post office, mail them to yourself. That way you won't have to carry the entire batch the entire time you are walking.
And with the size of paper, you could even go smaller and (when you get home) make your artwork into tarot sized or playing card size. You could have a limited number of card decks made, sign and number them and put the word out to pilgrims that you have a unique memory item for sale. If you like to draw big, it would be a great challenge and brain/eye/hand exercise to draw smaller than you usually do.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Absolutely beautiful journal. You've captured the essence of the camino. I don't know the answer to this, but would albergue owners consider offering a bed in exchange for a sketch of their albergue?
Great idea! My brother-in-law is an artist and is often hired by individuals to sketch the exteriors of their homes. When matted and framed they look lovely. Albergue owners I think would love this!

EDIT: They of course would be responsible for the mat and frame.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I really love your sketchbook. I would suggest that you create a sketchbook similar to what you have here, but try to include more of the places passed through.

If you were to do that, you could market it as a Camino journal, and I would definitely purchase one. I think you are so talented---I loved your sketches.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi everyone,

My current work:

Hi RJJ,

What a beautiful book of sketches. The pages look great with the notes, location stamps and occasional found object included. Maybe you could make an ebook version.

I have occasionally sold greeting cards and prints of my photographs. Shipping fragile artwork is tricky, even A4 is pretty big. Maybe you could try asking a buyer to write their name and address (gently, in pencil) on the back of the print they buy and you could ship all prints in protective sleeves after you get home. That way buyers won't have to worry about damage while carrying. You could carry all the finished artwork in a box (in a ziplock bag).

As backup for buyers who might not trust you to ship later (!) you could check out the Spanish post office shops for cardboard sleeves/stiff shipping envelopes. You could carry a few and a few ziplock bags. Then buyers could have the option of carrying relatively safely or sending home from next post office. I bought some thickish large ziploks on Ebay. Post Office here in Australia sells all kinds of packaging, maybe Spain too.

If you keep all the prints til you get home, you could scan them and keep hi-res digital copies for your files or for re-use in some way. Buyers shouldn't mind if you retain reproduction rights for publishing as long as you agree not to sell individual printed reproductions. Maybe you could write a note on the back of each artwork noting that.

I hope that wasn't mansplaining. All the best. Buen Camino, - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Rebecca!

I like your sketchbook very much!
Maybe you can make such a sketchbook without your notes, so people could fill out there own stories in your sketches?
I would buy it for my Camino next year!
I’m following you now on Facebook and hope to see more painting of you on the Camino:)
Keep up the good work!

Buen Camino!

Hi Rebecca,

Your book is a really nice idea and I'm impressed to see it come to fruition. Last year I bought blank postcards and watercolours with the intention of painting on the camino and mailing the results home as I went. Did I do it? No.
Perhaps you could offer directly to the hospitaleros or to the proprietor of a private albergue: art for B&B? Your work would be seen by everyone who came in.

Just a thought.

Best wishes.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow so many great ideas! Thank you so much everyone for your advice, it's really encouraging and so helpful to work out the little problems! Love the idea of putting together a journal, I'm actually making a separate bullet journal for myself his time so will be doing most of the hard work before anyway!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back