• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting from Paris to Pamplona: Tips and Advice

Time of past OR future Camino
camino Frances 5/2022
Hi I am arriving in Paris on April 4th and hope to be in Pamplona by the afternoon of the 6th. Any advice in the best way to get there these days? The inter web is a bit confusing on the train to bus part. Says there’s a bus in Saint-Jean-de-Luz - Ciboure but the website says no. All the threads on this site are old. Any help would be appreciated!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi I am arriving in Paris on April 4th and hope to be in Pamplona by the afternoon of the 6th. Any advice in the best way to get there these days? The inter web is a bit confusing on the train to bus part. Says there’s a bus in Saint-Jean-de-Luz - Ciboure but the website says no. All the threads on this site are old. Any help would be appreciated!

Another possibility is Paris to Hendaye/ Irun. Overnight in Irun and then a fast bus from Irun to Pamplona.

Last edited:
@asb6918 also, depending on your travel plans and timing you can take a train directly from Charles de Gaulle airport to Hendaye - one stop in Bordeaux I think. If you don’t want to go in to Paris city, this could be a good option.

If you do go via Hendaye / Irun, I highly recommend a few hours strolling around the adjoining town of Hondarribia. It’s a short bus ride or walk from Irun - or ferry from Hendaye. A very enjoyable way to stretch your legs after train travel.

All the best. 🙏

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The inter web is a bit confusing on the train to bus part. Says there’s a bus in Saint-Jean-de-Luz - Ciboure but the website says no.
Yes, this is rather frustrating. Rome2Rio says that there is an Alsa bus connection between Saint-Jean-de-Luz and Pamplona, even the Alsa website says so (see here https://www.alsa.com/en/web/bus/coach/pamplona-san-juan-de-luz) but when you enter any date the website tells you that there are no connections or you cannot even enter the departure point in any way, form or language.

I don't know whether Rome2Rio has always been so unreliable or whether this is a new "feature".

My guess it that the problem is the Alsa website because they don't yet allow access to their spring and summer timetables. Buen Camino in any case!

Another option for the Spanish side of the border might be to take the Euskotren from Hendaye to Amaro-Donostia and then a bus or train from Donostia/San Sebastian to Pamplona. The timing might be better than Irun - Pamplona.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi again @asb6918 See trainline.com Lots of trains to choose from - Paris to Hendaye on 5 April

I've booked many times using this site - usually with tickets that are refundable / changeable right up to the last minute

PS Even if you arrive in Hendaye in the late afternoon - at that time of year the days are long so still an opportunity to stroll around.

PPS I notice that some of the journeys say 'not available' - but this can be because the booking is too far in advance. I find that about 2 months out most of the journeys are 'available' for booking.

Whatever route you choose - good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You are a bit early for booking the trains and busses. Having done this journey before, take the train the train from Paris to Hendaye. I would walk across the street, catch the Feve (Euskotrain) to San Sebastion (Donostia), and then take a bus to Pamplona. The Feve is an LRT system, you buy your ticket from a machine, and step on the next one that comes by, mostly hourly. Check Flixbus as well as Alsa, but its a bit early to worry about the San Sebastion - Pamplona run, there are several per day if I recall. HIGHLY recommend you spend a night in San Sebastion. The food is Paris Caliber at Spanish prices.

I love to go thru Paris and have flown to Bilbao twice and Bayonne once by plane and once by train all departures from CDG. Bus from Bilbao the next day and from Bayonne I went to STJPP and Irun the same day.
Bilbao is worth a visit especially if you haven't been there.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back