• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

payment by credit card in gites on the Podiensis

Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Podiensis, Olvidado, Invierno
The last thread on this topic that I see is from several years ago. What is the current situation for payment by credit cards in gites along the Chemin Le Puy? I've been studying the Cicerone guide, which often does not include the Cr symbol and wonder if that's accurate and most don't accept credit cards. That would mean carrying quite bit of cash from day to day or frequent ATM withdrawals. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The last thread on this topic that I see is from several years ago. What is the current situation for payment by credit cards in gites along the Chemin Le Puy? I've been studying the Cicerone guide, which often does not include the Cr symbol and wonder if that's accurate and most don't accept credit cards. That would mean carrying quite bit of cash from day to day or frequent ATM withdrawals. Thanks for the advice.
It's still very much cash or French checks only. Credit cards are pretty much only accepted in restaurants and hotels and not in the gîtes d'étape.

Walked the Chemin Le Puy in May this year, we found definitely cash required in gites

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Walked it last year and cash was required in almost all places. Lots of ATM’s along the way and carrying the cash turned out not to be a big deal.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I confirm the need for cash at most gites, but there are plenty of ATMs along the way, so you don't need to carry thousands. However, be aware that Credit Agricole sting UK card holders for 5 Euros on every transaction, and in many places you'll only find a Credit Agricole ATM. Use other banks, such as Caisse d'Epargne, whenever possible.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi fellow pilgrims. We will be walking the Via Podiensis from Le Puy-en-Velay in Sep/Oct this year and are in the process of planning our route and stages. We see there are three route variants...
Hi all, I just bought my ticket for my next Camino this summer (yay!). I wanted to walk in France—I loved the Norte and primitivo last year, and I thought it would be cool to explore another...
Hello pilgrims, Where can we stay in Lagos or Les Faux? Tia Best, Ingelin

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back