• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Petroglyphs after Hospital and other things to see on the route

peregrina2000

Staff member
I hope to walk to Fijnisterre and Muxia this year, and I am going to add a day to my previous 4-day itinerary, which will give me more time to explore in the area.

I have seen that there are some petroglyphs after the Muxia-Finisterre split at Hospital. It looks like a short detour off the camino, and I wonder if anyone has visited them.

There is also a pretty amazing looking rock, Pedra do Brazal, near Logoso.

Any other interesting sites along the way? I have typically walked Santiago-Muxia-Finisterre recently, so I thought mixing it up and going via Finisterre first would be a nice change. Especially with the added day.

I'm tentatively thinking my days will be
Santiago - A Pena (28)
A Pena - Logoso (29)
Logoso - Cee or Corcubión
Cee - Finisterre
Finisterre - Muxia

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I really liked staying at Albergue Monte Aro at Lago, and followed their suggested stages.

Screenshot_20240103_111206_Firefox.jpg

Last edited:
I hope to walk to Fijnisterre and Muxia this year, and I am going to add a day to my previous 4-day itinerary, which will give me more time to explore in the area.

I have seen that there are some petroglyphs after the Muxia-Finisterre split at Hospital. It looks like a short detour off the camino, and I wonder if anyone has visited them.

There is also a pretty amazing looking rock, Pedra do Brazal, near Logoso.

Any other interesting sites along the way? I have typically walked Santiago-Muxia-Finisterre recently, so I thought mixing it up and going via Finisterre first would be a nice change. Especially with the added day.

I'm tentatively thinking my days will be
Santiago - A Pena (28)
A Pena - Logoso (29)
Logoso - Cee or Corcubión
Cee - Finisterre
Finisterre - Muxia
Those petroglyphs are definitely something to plan if my daughter is up for continuing on to Finisterre this year.

Thanks for reminder @peregrina2000 must stop there as I've passed the giant rock a number of times in the past, it's just off Camino to the right (as is a Castro). Thing is it's not easy to spot where the individual petroglyphs are situated, they depict weaponry. You may find that frustrating but if you're a patient person? It's sad that in Galicia many of these sites end up getting damaged for example people take castes of them or steal them!

The stage from Finisterre to Muxia is best done in two stages so you can enjoy Lires, which is a very special place especially its wild, beautiful beach. It's such a peaceful, uplifting place no need to rush by. There's a few great places to stay there too with great food and wine!

Pedra do Brazal is also called Pedra Cabalgada and again having passed nearby I didn't take the small detour to see it but it's well worth it despite all that climbing up to Hospital !

Yes lots of interesting sites on the way like medeival bridge over River Roxos, Augapesada Roman Bridge, Santa Maria de Trasmonte Church, Ponte Maceira Bridge (one of the most memorable stops) Ermida/Capilla de San Brais, San Xulian Church, Pazo do Coton, Monument to the Immigrant, San Mauro Chapel...that's just the first stage!! I would go up the hill to see the Monte Aro viewpoint near Vilar do Castro, most pilgrims don't. The views on a clear day are amazing. After your petroglyphs there's the new statue Vakner, so prepare yourself !! Then there's the Chapel da Neves with picnic area which is a good place to take stack of the Camino. Before you know it you drop steeply down to Cee then on to Corcubion and Finisterre (there's a route from Cee along the coast all the way to Finisterre rather than following the yellow arrows which go inland a lot). Then its's all the usual sights to Muxia.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The stage from Finisterre to Muxia is best done in two stages so you can enjoy Lires, which is a very special place especially its wild, beautiful beach. It's such a peaceful, uplifting place no need to rush by. There's a few great places to stay there too with great food and wine!

I have always walked from Finisterre to Muxia in one day, with a long stop at the beach. Last time I did it, two years ago, unfortunately the café was closed, but I sat on a bench for my snack. This year I’m going to extend the walk from four to five days, going Santiago to Finisterre in four rather than three days, so maybe the next time I’ll add a sixth!

And thanks for the list of things along the way, I will take a look at each and every suggestion!

I would go up the hill to see the Monte Aro viewpoint near Vilar do Castro, most pilgrims don't. The views on a clear day are amazing. After your petroglyphs there's the new statue Vakner, so prepare yourself !!

Yeah... regretfully it was a rainly day for us so after a short deliberation we did not go to Vilar do Castro.
But we saw Ingrexa Santa Marina Das Maronas c XII Century in Santa Marina
And there is also Necropolis Pedro Meude - blew my mind; did not expect that
Darn... the only thing i 'saw' in Hospital were These Giant Hiking Boots
And yes The Vakner! Not far from the Finisterre\Muxia split and right next to the Crucero Marco de Coto

sigh.....

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On the way to the lighthouse in Finisterre, on the right at about 2.5km, there is a marked path which goes uphill through the forest to Ermita de San Guillerme which is an ancient sacred site and to the nearby Piedras Santas and Ara Solis which are steeped in mythology including where fertility rites were practised. A fascinating area to visit and the views spectacular. From the top there is an alternate route to the lighthouse and another path back to Finisterre or Praia do Mar do Fora. The area and maps are described in Brierley’s “Sarria-Santiago-Finisterre including Muxia Circuit and Camino Ingles”.

I've always thought that the sunset viewed from Bar Playa de Lires surpassed that viewable from that poor benighted lighthouse down the coast.
That as maybe.

I've been to Finisterre but once.
But I went with the knowledge of what was once inscribed on the western edge of maps of Europe: Here be dragons.

But, like our Else in The doll's house (a short story by Katherine Mansfield), I seen them.

For our Else it was one very small lamp in the doll's house.

For me it was at least one dragon looking straight towards me from far away with two bright yellow eyes.
Or it might have been several dragons flying north to south across the distant horizon with just the one bright yellow eye visible.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, At this stage looks like we are going to finish in SdC on Friday, our flight home is only Monday night. The weather forecast doesnt look to be promising - showers over the whole weekend...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back