A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Picos de Europa

2020 Camino Guides

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
That google photo looks like almost the same photo as my screen background - the Lago de Enol, above Covadonga.
Beautiful area as are other parts of the Picos.
We went up to the lakes by car and walked to the mirador between the two lakes. Steep but rewarding. (Not a drive for the faint-hearted!) Lovely place and a good cafe/restaurant, just visible to the right in my photo. The second photo is the other lake from the mirador -Lago de la Ercina

L Enol.jpg 021 lakes.JPG

(Edit:- I have finally found the 'servicios' photo on my phone. Will transfer it and put in a new post later :))

Last edited:

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
Very interesting video. I have done some parts of this video.
From the refugio de Vega Urriellu he passes near Torrecerredo peak, the highest of Picos, 2648 mts (I climbed it with a guide) then he continues to refugio in Jou de Cabrones down to Poncebos and Garganta del Cares (the most popular walk in Picos).
Doing the Torrecerredo peak was a fantastic experience. It is technically easy and you don't need to be a climber but is better to go with a guide (if you don´t have vertigo, of course).

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
Magnificently stunning!

Mike Savage

So many friends to meet . . . so little time
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés,Inglés
Muxia/Finisterre
Português Coastal
Português Central
Sanabrés
Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing this.

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
We passed through part of the Picos de Europa while walking our Camino Lebaniego this year (you can go higher if continuing on the Vadiniense).

It was one of the most stunning places I've ever seen in my life. And I've been to all continents, in some dozen different countries, so it was really a big deal. I am now considering the Salvador just to be around that region again.

Kiernan

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés febr/march (2012)
Camino Francés febr/march (2019)
Thank you SO MUCH Ivar. So many memories..........hundreds of times (in my healthy youth😇....) walking that places. I'm enjoying the video conecting my laptop to the TV trying to see every smallest detail of it.
You really made my day!!

Thomas V

Camino(s) past & future
2016 & 2017 FRANCES, 2018 Portuguese, 2019 Norte Irún to Santiago
Fantastic video! Did you do all the photography yourself?

SusanSmyth

Happy Member 😋
Camino(s) past & future
May 2017 Francés
March 2018 Inglés
June 2019 Madrid
We are on the Vadiniense right now, having completed the Lebaniego. This Camino is, for me at least, by far the most arduous and the most stunningly beautiful. Day 8 and we have met one other peregrino.

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
Picos de Europa is in the border of three regions: Cantabria, Asturias
and León.
He starts his trip in Fuente Dé (Cantabria), next villages are Sotres, Bulnes and Poncebos all of them in Asturias. At the end of Senda del Cares (when he passes tunnels) is Cain (León) and finally back to Fuente De.
There are spectacular views of Naranjo peak. Naranjo is the Cantabrian name, but in Asturias it is called Urriellu (that means little hórreo).

peregrina2000

Staff member
Just to point out that the beginning of the video is on the Vadiniense. If you walk the Lebañiego from San Vicente to Potes, and then continue on the Vadiniense, your first couple of days take you up to Fuente Dé and then on the Senda da Remoña through that lovely valley.

If the Vadiniense ever really took off, I’ll bet they could find a lot of off-asphalt alternatives, but there is a LOT of asphalt on this route after the Picos part, which joins up with the Francés in Mansilla de las Mulas.

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
Having posted 2 photos of the lakes (post #5) here is the promised one of the 'servicios'.
The entrance is round the back and I have to say that inside they were very modern and immaculate, but I did wonder when I saw the building!
servicios-lagos.jpg

Liz Drew

Camino(s) past & future
2016 Coastal Portuguese
2018 Via de la Plata
(2019) del Norte
Not really on the Camino del Norte, but not far from it... I saw this video on YouTube and it looks stunning.

Wow! That is absolutely stunning! I knew they would be as I was walking within dinner got of them recently! Good on you. Really inspirational

Bodi

Camino(s) past & future
SJPP to Najera Sept. 2017; Najera to Astorga Oct. 2018; SJPP to Pamplona May 2019
Wow, stunning scenery! Thanks for sharing the film, Ivar!

Csutak

Camino(s) past & future
Since 2006 almost every year, usually walking more than two routes
Just incredible!
Thank you Ivar and Kraig.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 8 0.7%
  • March

Votes: 46 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 173 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 279 24.4%