• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

pilgrim meltdown

buena!

gosh i'm such a mess...
although i long to be on the camino, i have two months yet to go and sometimes all this planning is starting to feel more like a form of escapism. the excitment over going is such a contrast from my 'real life' where day to day i'm moody and full of self doubt, fighting with my boyfriend (& extremely saddened by our likely breakup that will precede my camino). instead of checking this forum incessantly i should be packing for my trip to CA tomorrow, my move to a GA the day i return (my life is one move after another), preparations for graduate school, or a million other things. instead i'm an emotional wreck unable to do anything. i'm not sure why i'm writing this, but thanks for listening.

not-so-buena! today :?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Buena! I understand completely. Until earlier this week, I hadn't spent too much time planning my Camino (including training for it :shock: ), but now that some things have cleared up at work, all I want to do is look up plane fares & plan my route to StJPdP.

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your boyfriend & worried about grad school, but perhaps the time you spend on the Camino will help you sort it all out. :)

When are you starting? I'll be flying out on May 1, arriving in SJPdP on May 3.

dg

Dear Buena

Hello Dear One,

If it is any consolation, you are not alone. I'm sending out a wish for your steady and sweet transition. And here's a pilgrim hug.

(Go slowly Sis)

Linda

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Buena, sad one. If you are unhappy with him and he won't support you in this, and be there when you return - he is not the one.

When you are on the Camino you will find and make deep good friends you will stay in contact with for years to come.

When you return your priority, surely, will be your graduate school - few years of that and you will be truly launched.

How hard it is to be a good human, how painful - be patient Buena, you will love the Camino, the Camino will love you.

Blessings

Buena,
It's natural to feel a bit overwhelmed by all the planning that goes into preparing for the Camino but trust me, it's worth it. You will have time and space to think as you experience this amazing journey and you will find yourself well prepared for the new challenges you face in your life when you get back.
I'm sorry to hear it's putting your relationship with your boyfirend under strain and I hope you manage to work things out.

Buen Camino

Ann.

Hola Buena

I, like you am doing the camino in two months. I've been finding that a number of things, events, thoughts have been coming up for me to experience. I had a thought today that possibly I'm clearing my cup and doing what I need to do so as I can refill it from the river of the Milky Way...

Peace is your mind realising what your heart and soul already know. May your peace be gift wrapped with the colours of the rainbow. And when you see a rainbow, allow it to remind you of the special colours of life you share and have.

Bless your grand journey ahead and enjoy each moment you have.

Buen Camino
The stars shine upon you.

Paolo
:D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Buena

I truly hope you find peace on the Camino.

If it's any consolation (and it usually isn't in the moment) many have passed through what you're going through (including myself) and come out the other end intact!

Hang in there. You're going to meet some wonderful people on the Camino and between them and you, some very rewarding insights will come to you.

Buen camino.
John

Buena,
The weeks before the Camino aren´t easy. Just one year ago, we were finishing our months of training and arguing over what bare necessities would go into the packs.
But it is worth all the effort. Believe, me, all the people we met along the Camino, the sights, and finally entering Santiago, all make it something fantastic and wonderful. Hang in there. Steve

Buena,
I feel like you could have written that for me today. I've been so obsessed with all the planning, I feel like I'm trying to escape the rest of my life that's falling apart. I told my boss officially today that I'm leaving in two months to walk the Camino, and since then I have felt so sad and been honestly a nervous wreck. It;s lke now that it's official I'm freaking out. I feel like I'm allready mourning all the parts of my life (relationships, etc) that aren't working because I know somehow that once I leave for the camino I will not come back the same. I feel sort of stuck between two minds. It' comforting to know that others have gone through this too. Best of luck to you. When are you walking? I'll be leaving StJPP mid-May.
Lauren

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
WOW

it's an amazing thing to cast out your broken little self into a group of strangers and be received with such grace. many many heartfelt thanks to each of you... again WOW.. i am truly touched.

i almot didn't submit my post, for fear i'd be quickly embarrassed or regretful as soon as the tide turned... but i'm glad i did. you've shown me i'm not alone or crazy, and your gifts of wisdom have allowed me to feel accepted in my state of uncertainty.

with thanks,

buena.

i will commence my camino approx may 10th, probably a few days out from St Jean. looking forward to meeting other may babies as well.

Hola Buena
You have already shown a lot of courage by posting your message and seeing what happens. That is what your camino will be, setting out and opening yourself to all the experiences that will happen to you. Yes you will change, but only for the better, it is a wonderful adventure that will expand your life, your mind and your understanding of many things. Be excited. Be courageous. You have the support of so many of us as you step out, and you are walking in the steps of millions over the last 1000 years. Afterwards you will be amazed at the understandings you have gained and the peace you will have found. (Go for it girl!)
Buen Camino
Magnara

hey, not to worry, not long to go now! im sure the camino will give you a chance to clear your mind, i leave on may 7th so might see ya along the way lol

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.