• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrims Guide Book versus GPS Apps

Julian Saban

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - St Jean to Santiago - Sept 2016
Camino Portuguese - Lisbon to Santiago - Apr 2018
How necessary is it to carry a guide book [ie: John Brierley’s Pilgrims guide] on the Camino Frances. Are the yellow arrows splattered all over the place enough. I have all the GPS Apps that don’t require data. Is this sufficient? - Truth be told, I’d rather take an iPad than a guide book. Trying to weigh up the Pros and Cons. Any advice welcome. Apologies if this has been discussed a million times :)
Starting from St.Jean Sept 22nd...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On the CF you don't need a guide to find the way and apps will help you better to find accommodation. The only reason I can think of is not to miss/overlook historically important/interesting sites like the chicken in the cathedral in SDdlC ;-) But if you have the guide you can always make yourself a list of 'my POI' and take that with you as a PDF. Buen Camino, SY

I have all the GPS Apps that don’t require data. Is this sufficient? :)

Hi Julian, I'm in the same quandary. I start from St Jean September 19 - you'll probably pass me. Just wondering what GPS apps you have tried? I want a GPS app that doesn't require data - one that I can see MY position on the map and one that will record my track, save it and be able to share. Any suggestions? I have been trying a couple, but nothing so far does everything I want.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How necessary is it to carry a guide book [ie: John Brierley’s Pilgrims guide] on the Camino Frances. Are the yellow arrows splattered all over the place enough. I have all the GPS Apps that don’t require data. Is this sufficient? - Truth be told, I’d rather take an iPad than a guide book. Trying to weigh up the Pros and Cons. Any advice welcome. Apologies if this has been discussed a million times :)
if you do decide to go with your iPad an option is to buy the Brierley guidebook (maps only version) in iBooks. As @SYates rightly says, you don't need anything to find your way to SDC however knowing how many more kms for the day, distance to POI's, fonts, alternative routes, etc can be a nice thing to know. Over the next month you can read plenty here in old threads about places that sound interesting to visit, favorite Albergues, eateries and much more and simply make notes of it for reference on the Camino. We live in an interesting time when it comes to electronic options!
Good luck and Buen Camino next month,
Jordon

Old fashioned I guess...but there is something just more satisfying than holding a book in your hand. Easier on my eyes I guess. But this Camino we're going without anything thing I think.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

there are enough arrows to get you to santiago, and enough locals to ask if you are not sure. guidebooks will possibly give you a bit more background and context to the places you are walking, and their maps may give you a more ready and comprehensive overview of where you are walking.

ipads don't allow you to make messy random notes with a pen or pencil, but perhaps you don't do this. perhaps i am just too old school :)

Buen Camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I want a GPS app that doesn't require data - one that I can see MY position on the map and one that will record my track, save it and be able to share. Any suggestions?
You could try OSMand+. It does the things you want. You can download the app for free and the free version allows you to download a certain number of apps for free. If you like it you will want to buy the app so you can be sure to have enough maps to cover the camino.

Read more at:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...or-for-people-walking-solitary-caminos.41889/

Thanks for all the great advice folks. Really appreciate it.
I realise in a way, the Camino provides a good opportunity to get away from daily electronic gadgets etc. I just find it a lot a lot easier to read off a screen these days [failing eyesight perhaps]
I figured an iPad may be of benefit for booking the occasional Albergue... and flights from Santiago before I get there. It will be my one luxury item :) I'll definitely make a list of all those POI along the way

Counting down the days, can’t wait!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Julian, I'm in the same quandary. I start from St Jean September 19 - you'll probably pass me. Just wondering what GPS apps you have tried? I want a GPS app that doesn't require data - one that I can see MY position on the map and one that will record my track, save it and be able to share. Any suggestions? I have been trying a couple, but nothing so far does everything I want.
Hi @Kerrie and @Julian Saban
Interesting questions. I used to always like a printed book, but my pov is changing a bit. I got great value earlier this year from photographing (on my phone) half a dozen pages from somebody else's guide book for a particular diversion.
You certainly don't NEED a book to navigate from SJPP to Santiago - my rule of thumb based on experience is a bit like Goldilocks and the Three Bears - there are too many(! ;)) arrows on the C Frances, too few on the Norte, and "just right" on the Primitivo.
As others have said books useful for background reading. So I think, more and more, pdfs and ebooks very useful, and in some ways easier to use than apps - though I use them too.
I am just getting to grips with wikiloc <www.wikiloc.com> which seems a terrific tool, though I haven't fully got the hang of it yet. And designed by a Spaniard. It will both record your trip and guide you, offline, as long as you have GPS and have downloaded routes/maps first.
I would love to hear of other people's experience of wikiloc.
Tim

Last edited:
I have an Android phone and I've been using Locus maps for a while now, it does everything you ask and you can split the route where you like so you can see how far you have to go, it will also show you the height detail and statistics. There is a free version but I don't think it has everything that the paid version does, I also use map downloader where you can download maps for complete country's.

I figured an iPad may be of benefit for booking the occasional Albergue...
From what others have written on this forum emailing for a reservation may not work well as a good number of albergues do not check their email often.

I'll definitely make a list of all those POI along the way
I have installed a free app called My GPS Coordinates. It presents your current latitude/longitude coordinates and you can copy them to the clipboard or share them via email and other means. So it makes it easy to make a note to your journal about an interesting place and then be able to find it on Google Maps (or equivalent) when you get home.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As others have said, you don't need a guidebook but having been born BC (before computers & calculators) I always have some sort of guidebook with me. It's a habit to sit of an evening making notes in the margins and turning pages to read and reveal and plot points of interest ahead.

That said, I've had a career with maps and websites so also have my iPhone with Kindle, Camino and mapping apps. It proved very useful for booking accommodation too.

You don't really need a guidebook. But if you want to look at interesting facts or alternate routes it may come in handy. I did not bring one on my camino and I was fine. There are PLENTY of other pilgrims that carry around a guidebook. (and they will share it .....and you won't have to carry it.)

Just wanted to suggest that you go with the guidebook and leave the phone and automation at home. I finished in May and leaving automation at home was one of the best decisions I made. I did have a guidebook and it was accurate enough for my needs. Albergues, paths, distances, and places to pause.

I totally understand safety and security and the need to stay in touch with loved ones and family so please don't castigate me. Its just a suggestion to get closer to what the Camino offers.

Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just wondering what GPS apps you have tried? I want a GPS app that doesn't require data - one that I can see MY position on the map and one that will record my track, save it and be able to share. Any suggestions? I have been trying a couple, but nothing so far does everything I want.
I use maps.me. It also does do the things you want, exept it is not yet recording tracks. It is completely for free, every map you want, no data requiered.
Last year I walked with this app from Amsterdam to SdC. For parts which I had a digital albergue list I didn't take a paper guide at all. For tracking I used at the same time runkeeper. Worked fine together on a battery, did take also a powerbank with me.
In the resourcepart there are kmz-kml files for each country. When you use these with maps.me you got per country alle the caminoroutes there are.

Just an observation...guidebooks don't require batteries or recharging :D. I took a journal, but never used it; instead, I took notes in my Brierley guidebook using the blank pages provided, plus a few brief notes on the maps or in the text. Having that physical volume to open now and then is one of my prized mementos from the Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I use maps.me. It also does do the things you want, exept it is not yet recording tracks. It is completely for free, every map you want, no data requiered.
Last year I walked with this app from Amsterdam to SdC. For parts which I had a digital albergue list I didn't take a paper guide at all. For tracking I used at the same time runkeeper. Worked fine together on a battery, did take also a powerbank with me.
In the resourcepart there are kmz-kml files for each country. When you use these with maps.me you got per country alle the caminoroutes there are.
Thanks Thomas, I use Runkeeper all the time and have been trying out maps.me - I'll probably go with those two.

I cannot imagine walking another Camino without Brother Brierley's maps. (The New Age nonsense, not so much....)

His maps mesmerize me.

But! I will take them downloaded on my mobile phone next time, rather than in hard copy. :)

Hi, Which apps do you have that do not need data? I am leaving St Jean Sept 5 thank you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, Which apps do you have that do not need data? I am leaving St Jean Sept 5 thank you
Maps.me does not require data, neither does Wikiloc, bothare free apps however be sure to download all the relevant country maps before you leave home. It's a good idea to play with the apps in familiar territory so that you are comfortable with them when you are in unknown territory.

I'm new to wikiloc and am currently learning how to use it, maps.me I've used for over a year now and I do like it.

Buen Camino :)

You reply don'the need a book/GPS to find your way on the Frances..it is so clearly marked. However, the Brierley guide is great for information such as alternative routes/ accommodation options/distances etc.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.