• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Places to linger a while...

K

karenfromcali

Planning on walking the Camino Frances next March. Any suggestions on which towns/cities on route that are worth an extra day for sight seeing? Also am I able to stay an additional night in an albergue if I want to stay longer? Or should I plan on a hostel or pension for those nights?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The rule generally is that you can stay in an albergue only one night. However, if they are short on customers, they may be flexible. Still, a hostal or hotel is a good idea. I take a break when I am tired, so it may be in a small town. The cities have many things to do, however, if you are seeking sightseeing.

Hi, Karen,

There are lots of nice places to stop and spend some extra time-- Leon, Burgos, Santo Domingo, you will probably get lots of suggestions. I thought I'd just make a general comment or two. First, until you're out there and walking, you can't predict whether or when you will want to stop for either a rest day or a tourist day. I think many pilgrims are kind of surprised to find that a "day off" just feels funny. Not only that, you may find that the people you've become close to don't want to stop and if you do, you'll have to split up. I almost always take rest days, but I generally don't plan them -- I have an idea what the high point tourist places are on the Camino I'm walking, and then I work a couple extra days into my total but sometimes I don't use them, sometimes I take extras. It just depends. That's a long way of saying that I think the best plan is to leave things up in the air but allow for a few of these days off. Then if you don't take them, you can walk to Finisterre/Muxia or do something else from Santiago.

Private albergues will usually let you stay more than one night, the municipals will not, unless you have a medical need. But if you stop in the big tourist places, there will be a huge number of private choices in all price ranges.

buen camino to you! Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Peregrina2000 has given you excellent advice regarding taking things as they come when you are en route. I stopped for a day and lost my walking group that I had become attached to and never really recovered from that. Whilst I don't regret anything, because I had good experiences I wouldn't have other wise, I wouldn't choose to do that again.

In saying that, if you happen to be able to spend extra time in Burgos I think it's well worthwhile with places like the monastery of Las Huelgas to go and see and I do think the cathedral is one that is good to go into a few times (despite the cost!). When I was there the city was in party mode celebrating the feasts of Ss Peter and Paul so there was much going on to soak in. I decided to stay in a 4* hotel, again, I probably wouldn't choose to do that again, not on my own, it was hard to get back into the albergue mindset as well as onto the road on my own.

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. I think my problem is that I over plan so I will try to let the Camino, (and probably my poor tired feet) lead me. Although the idea of having no plan for a place to stay each and every evening is somewhat nerve racking. My hubby says I worry too much, so perhaps no plan is just what I need (gulp!) :cool:

Karen, I just completed my first Camino on June 23, and being nervous about getting a bed and not knowing was one of my biggest fears. But this turned out to be one the the most fun things for me. Leaving it to God to provide each day--which He did, most beautifully--and always each day I looked forward to seeing the unique place I would sleep, as each place has its own kind of atmosphere and personality, and then the new pilgrims I would meet at each place...it was so much fun to see what the day would bring. You will see and feel God's magic all every step of the Way. It is great fun to see how He provides everything you need and He will create a wonderful Camino experience unique for you. I pray blessings and supernatural encounters for you on your journey!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Janet. Thank you for the encouragement. I really do need to leave things in the Lord's hands a lot more. I hold on to the scripture Joshua 1:9 but still lack the faith to live by it. But the point of this Camino for me is just that, to build faith and trust when I'm out of my comfort zone. So I thank you sharing your own experience. It's nice to know others who have a love for God but still get a bit 'scaredy cat' sometimes.

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. I think my problem is that I over plan so I will try to let the Camino, (and probably my poor tired feet) lead me. Although the idea of having no plan for a place to stay each and every evening is somewhat nerve racking. My hubby says I worry too much, so perhaps no plan is just what I need (gulp!) :cool:
I never plan any camino, except transport to and from and sometimes first night bed if arriving late, The Lord provides

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Karen, I just completed my first Camino on June 23, and being nervous about getting a bed and not knowing was one of my biggest fears. But this turned out to be one the the most fun things for me. Leaving it to God to provide each day--which He did, most beautifully--and always each day I looked forward to seeing the unique place I would sleep, as each place has its own kind of atmosphere and personality, and then the new pilgrims I would meet at each place...it was so much fun to see what the day would bring. You will see and feel God's magic all every step of the Way. It is great fun to see how He provides everything you need and He will create a wonderful Camino experience unique for you. I pray blessings and supernatural encounters for you on your journey!
That is the best advice ever "well done that lady"

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Rest days can be fatal! Or you walk all day sightseeing and with some exageration you end up walking more then a day on the camino-but every step of the day all on concrete and tarmac or you loose your rthymn and in either case the day after a "rest day" will be more difficult. Plan half-days for a rest and then walk on, even a short distance, down the Camino. Rest afterwards in say Mucia, not much rest to be had in Finistere also far too crowded there and frankly the place has become very crass these past years but Mucia is fine-a small quiet fishing village.

I enjoy stopping in the following places:

Burgos - the Archaeological Museum is fantastic there, and you can get a bus to Atapuerca to see the digs if you're into that. Also, the Cathedral - it takes an entire day to really see it (for me) and is spectacular (I'm running out of adjectives)

Leon - Again, the Cathedral, the shops, the food - I like staying in Hotel Don Suero there. Inexpensive, clean, and convenient.

Astorga - The Bishop's House (Gaudi), the museum of Chocolate (kooky but the old film is worth the admission), the square where you can watch the clock with moving figures - the park near the municipal has awesome views, the archaeological museum.

Those are my favorite stopping places.
I've never had a problem picking up after resting a day or two.

Rest days can be fatal! Or you walk all day sightseeing and with some exageration you end up walking more then a day on the camino-but every step of the day all on concrete and tarmac or you loose your rthymn and in either case the day after a "rest day" will be more difficult. Plan half-days for a rest and then walk on, even a short distance, down the Camino. Rest afterwards in say Mucia, not much rest to be had in Finistere also far too crowded there and frankly the place has become very crass these past years but Mucia is fine-a small quiet fishing village.
Bingo. Exactly my experience. My favorite half-day jaunt was treating myself to a spectacularly beautiful hotel called La Moncloa de San Lazaro in Cacabelos for 45e, sleeping in and then less than 10km to Villafranca del Bierzo & hanging out there for the afternoon.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Janet. Thank you for the encouragement. I really do need to leave things in the Lord's hands a lot more. I hold on to the scripture Joshua 1:9 but still lack the faith to live by it. But the point of this Camino for me is just that, to build faith and trust when I'm out of my comfort zone. So I thank you sharing your own experience. It's nice to know others who have a love for God but still get a bit 'scaredy cat' sometimes.
Karen,
Let it all go. One of the most *********** (you fill in the superlative word) experiences I had on the Camino was that infinite feeling when faced with solitude. There, all alone on the meseta, nothing but me, the universe, and God.

I take a rest day, that being a 5 to 7 km walk about once a week. I plan them around places I want to visit, this year for example a side trip to Eunate, it's chance to take a day to rest my feet, see the site and do laundry. Like Steven mentioned, in Cacabelos the La Moncloa is a great days evasion not necessarily for the hotel but for one of the finest restaurants you will find on the Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
We are in Santa Marina del rey staying at a hostel costing 59 euros after redirecting from our destination which was San Martin del Camino. We found the albergues were all booked or closed after...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back