• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Memorable Places

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello and appologies if this has already been asked.

I've got 35 days until I leave home on route via Paris to SJPD. My bags packed and if I check it anymore I'll go mad! Lol

I've read, like all of you, everything I can about the Camino Frances and wondered if any of you experienced pilgrims can mention any special places that shouldn't be missed, even if they are slightly off route by a few miles.

As I sit here, I've allowed myself 50 days to get the most out of my Camino, and want to experience as much as possible, from SJPD though to Santiago and onto Finestairre.

Thank you in anticipation. I depart SJPD on the 10th April, so fingers crossed and Buen Camino to my fellow pilgrims.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

There is a small painting of The Christ awakening in the Tomb that ought to break your heart

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
St Anton, which for me was the most magical stay/night of my whole Camino.

+1 for Eunate also. It's beautiful, spellbinding and mesmerising, and only a short detour.

Go. Walk. Expect nothing, but believe in everything and let it unfold around you as you put one foot in front of the other on this serendipitous path.

I've got 35 days until I leave home on route via Paris to SJPD. My bags packed and if I check it anymore I'll go mad! Lol

I've read, like all of you, everything I can about the Camino Frances and wondered if any of you experienced pilgrims can mention any special places that shouldn't be missed, even if they are slightly off route by a few miles.

As I sit here, I've allowed myself 50 days to get the most out of my Camino, and want to experience as much as possible, from SJPD though to Santiago and onto Finestairre.

Thank you in anticipation. I depart SJPD on the 10th April, so fingers crossed and Buen Camino to my fellow pilgrims.
Walking into Castrojeriz. You have the monastery ruins which are worth looking around. And in Castrojeriz, the walk up to the castle is amazing, and yet most people pass it by. You can look around the ruins, and climb to the top to get 360 degree views. Incredible, one of the best experiences of the entire Frances IMO. Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The museum of human evolution in Burgos, humbling and gave me a real sense just how long humans have lived, loved and developed in Spain.

The Gaudi museum in León, I was amazed at the attention to detail of this innovative architect.

While in León don't miss the famous pastries at Panaderia La Masera-Confiteria Asturias,

Attachments

• IMG_20230710_130453298.jpg
    IMG_20230710_130453298.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20230710_130447558.jpg
    IMG_20230710_130447558.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20230709_105913591_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230709_105913591_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 32
Saint Nikolas, a donativo about 11km past Castrojeriz. Go to sleep by candle light. Simply a wonderful experience.
The Parochial in Zabaldika is fantastic.
Church ruins outside of Zubiri that are being restored by a passionate man. Spend some time chatting with him and leave a donation.
The church in Navarete. For 1€, you can watch the entire front of the church explode into shiny goldness.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Castro in Burgos, pinxtos in Pamplona (and everywhere else). Please tour as many cathedrals as possible but do not miss the cathedral in Leon. It is breathtaking.
If it fits your schedule, a stop in San Bol is a wonderful experience.

Buen Camino,

Gord

In addition to what’s already been mentioned:
- Monastery at Samos
- Riding a horse from Las Herrerias to O Cebreiro with Victor of Al Paso Stables
- the singing Nuns of Carrion de los Condes
- Portico de Gloria at the Cathedral — you need to book a free visit online no more than 7 days in advance. You can no longer take photos and you can’t touch it - but it is stunning.

Enjoy— you can’t go wrong. Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’m with Nelle. Try to make time for the Benedictine Monastery at Samos. Please check it’s open before you go and read it’s history. The Benedictines know only too well where to establish their communities and Samos does not disappoint. Walking round that final hill and seeing the monastery before you is breathtaking.
Go with the flow, follow your heart and listen to your heart along the way.
Disfruta! Buen camino. X

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Loved all the huge old books in the library at Museo de San Isodoro, in Leon. A bible there is more than 1,000 years old! And there's a challis there that is believed to be "proven" by a research team, to be the one that Christ drank from at the last supper.

And the murals all along the Camino both in, and outside of, the Cities, are gorgeous! Favourites included "The Great Thinkers" mural (Einstein, Ghandi, & ML King, Jr.) in Rabe de las Calzadasa, a wall of murals on a street in Cacabelos, and Murals on a variety of buildings in Belorado, including one with Winnie-the-Pooh, and the Spanish version of You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think which came at a time when I really needed to believe it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
N Matter what you do you will have to return at some point as there is something else to see I loved the Bull Run in Pamplona the Monastary after the walk om the Pyreenees and getting woke to music playing guitarists in the morning the village of Astorga brass band and dressed like something out of chitty chitty bang bang The park on the outskirts of Santiago enjoy and remember to look back ob=ver those view points you just climbed Buen Camino

Your inward self.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back