Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning a “25 km or less” Camino on the Invierno

It took me exactly 10 minutes (!) from the ermita (where the ascent to Villavieja starts) to join the Camino again outside Borrenes! I know the hike up to Cornatel is highly recommended but... If people need to shorten the stage for some reason, this is the way to go. No dangerous walk on the N-536: you cross it at one point, that's all.
Holey moley. That's a huge difference.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It took me exactly 10 minutes (!) from the ermita (where the ascent to Villavieja starts) to join the Camino again outside Borrenes! I know the hike up to Cornatel is highly recommended but... If people need to shorten the stage for some reason, this is the way to go. No dangerous walk on the N-536: you cross it at one point, that's all.
Good to know. Even though I got a little lost and walked on the too dangerous N-536 to finally cross it for the uphill to Villavieja. I wouldn't want to miss the chestnut forest ascent to Cornatel (though I had carefully planned it for a day & time when it would be open, of course it was closed) but the chestnut trees remain a special wonderful place for me. The alternative from Borrenes into Orellan was also especially beautiful.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked Ponferrada - Puente de Domingo Flórez today. I tried the Camino de Charrito alternative: a shortcut that avoids Villavieja as well as the road N-536.

I knew Charrito had posted screenshots of Google Maps or Wikiloc and posted them somewhere (in this thread?!) but for the life of me I couldn't find them. I remembered more or less what they looked like, and on my own Google Maps I could see most of the shortcut through the woods. So when I got to the Ermita de la Virgen del Carmen de Rioferreiros I gave it a try.

I've done all three alternatives. It's a tough but rewarding walk up to the castle and Villavieja. Following the N-536 is a definite NONONO. The shortcut from the Ermita is pretty straightforward: a bit steep, but nothing to worry about. I'll see if I can find the screenshot and post it again here.

Just found it, in a thread titled 'Road Option to avoid Villavieja'. Screenshot copied below.

If you look at the map you'll find that there are three ways to get from Santalla to Borrenes. The first (in yellow) is the official route, which takes you up to the village of Villavieja and back down past Cornatel Castle. The second (in green) is to follow the main road, which is very windy and pretty dangerous. The third one is marked in blue and indicated as a shortcut. There's a photo on the app of this shortcut, which is just after the chapel; it takes you up and over the main road and then up again to the slate factory at the top.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
It's not too difficult, just a short climb after Arnado. Well worth it for the views down over the river, and it's a bit more interesting than the usual route through Villamartín.

I hope your foot is ok. Where are you staying tonight? A Rúa?

Pension Fabio, finally. I haven't stayed there for years because they are always full... This time, I booked it several days in advance to be sure!! Foot not ok, just weird. I am in another café now down by the river walk for "breakfast" just so I can sit down.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Pension Fabio, finally. I haven't stayed there for years because they are always full... This time, I booked it several days in advance to be sure!! Foot not ok, just weird. I am in another café now down by the river walk for "breakfast" just so I can sit down.
Great place, although I nearly always end up in O Pillabán (and a wine-tasting with Juan until the early hours!).

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Holey moley. That's a huge difference.

I was surprised. And few people know this. I saw several Wikilocs that avoid Villavieja, but they think they need to follow the road. That is still a huge detour compared to the Camino de Charrito!
I took this alternative path just a couple of days ago (having previously stayed in Villavieja) and I clocked a full 5km off the stage, making Ponferrada to Domingo Florez more doable in a single day. As you follow the main track around to the right after the Ermita, about 100m beyond is another, much narrower, steep uphill path to your left, don't continue on the main track like I almost did! Weather is atrocious just now on the Invierno but it's all the more beautiful for it..

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I clocked a full 5km off the stage
A big difference, to be sure. Good to know, especially for repeat offenders on a tight timeline.

A pity, though, to miss the whole stretch between the gorge below Villavieja, the hamlet, and up to the Castillo. One of the highlights of the whole camino.

A big difference, to be sure. Good to know, especially for repeat offenders on a tight timeline.

A pity, though, to miss the whole stretch between the gorge below Villavieja, the hamlet, and up to the Castillo. One of the highlights of the whole camino.
I agree @VNwalking …Villavieja, the albergue, hamlet, beautiful walk up to the castle and Cornatel Castillo itself, are highlights of the Invierno. A great first day 2x for me. And it can be part of a great first day for those walking longer stages.

I took this alternative path just a couple of days ago (having previously stayed in Villavieja) and I clocked a full 5km off the stage, making Ponferrada to Domingo Florez more doable in a single day. As you follow the main track around to the right after the Ermita, about 100m beyond is another, much narrower, steep uphill path to your left, don't continue on the main track like I almost did! Weather is atrocious just now on the Invierno but it's all the more beautiful for it..

Atrocious, like a lot of rain? I remember last year when people posted pics of the floodings on the Invierno but that was later in winter I think...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, let's say the 37km or so trudging in the rain between Rodeiro and Silleda today on mostly churned up tracks between pig farms was great fun.. and how the heavy rain brings out the wonderful smell of pig slurry!

I made good ground today because tomorrow is to be much wetter and a shorter day is in order. But rural Galicia is beautiful in all weather, we take it as it comes..

Attachments

• 20231025_145802.jpg
    20231025_145802.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • 20231023_121507.jpg
    20231023_121507.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 32
PRACTICAL INFORMATION FOR THIS SECOND STAGE:

SLEEPING IN LAS MÉDULAS:

Casa Socorro is closed down (hopefully just temporarily) due to family illness.

The new albergue turístico (La Senda) showed no signs of life at 11 o’clock in the morning last October, but it is functioning, apparently, with an Italian guy and his partner running it.

The Hotel Medulio is pretty basic and, in my view, overpriced.

The Complejo Rural Agoga is fine, but it’s not cheap!

SLEEPING IN ORELLÁN:

There are one or two Casas Rurales in Orellán village. O Palleiro is excellent, and the food there is good too.

EATING/DRINKING IN LAS MÉDULAS:

You need to realise that Las Médulas is a tourist site, but not many people actually spend the night there. Finding a place to eat on a Sunday lunchtime in summer is difficult, due to the masses of people who make their way up there and want to have lunch before going home. In the evenings, Las Médulas becomes a bit of a ghost town (village), with few people about. Therefore, it might be complicated to find too many places open for food, especially outside the summer period.

These are some of the places that you will find in the village:

Bar Tapería O Camiño Real (closed on Wednesdays?): my favourite place!
Mesón Durandarte (closed on Tuesdays?)
Cafetería Restaurante Mari Fe (closed on Thursdays?)
Casa de Comidas Arcadio Travieso (no information?)
Restaurante Agoga (no information)
Hotel Medulio (open daily)

Don’t expect to find much open before 11 o’clock on a normal working day.

ARRIVING IN PUENTE DE DOMINGO FLÓREZ:

For some strange reason the official camino sends you all the way around the town and adds quite some distance to the stage. My suggestion is to turn right along Calle el Toral; this takes you past the main square and brings you out just opposite Bar El Cruce.

SLEEPING IN PUENTE DE DOMINGO FLÓREZ:

The only place is Hostal (NOT Hotel) La Torre, at the end of town, but convenient for the next day’s stage. Reduced prices for pilgrims, and you’ll probably be put up in the annex.

EATING/DRINKING IN PUENTE DE DOMINGO FLÓREZ:

Apart from the hostal bar and restaurant (a decent menu del día), you also have the extremely pilgrim-friendly Bar El Cruce in town.

Café Los Arcos in Calle el Toral has closed down.

There are three decent places to eat/drink near the Día supermarket on Calle Chao do Marco:

Restaurante Thais is closed, as they function as a pub at night and haven’t been able to obtain a licence to open.

El Bom Vita, just round the corner, does a menu del día and has a large terrace.

Mesón La Colmena, in the street parallel to Restaurante Thais, has a nice garden terrace, and does excellent free pinchos. They also have a fairly large number of ‘raciones’ available.

As far as supermarkets are concerned, the biggest one is Día, very close to the hostal on Calle Chao do Marco. There are others (Coviran in Calle el Toral, and Claudio, close to Bar El Cruce).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks, Laurie and everyone who has done this route. The Invierno would be a new route for us which we might do in September2021, if we can find sufficient infrastructure to support our shorter days.
Silly me ! I Thought that this would be an entire Camino of 25 Kms. As a rapidly deteriorating and disabled pilgie rapidly approaching 86 who thinks that 5km stages are just the job I was bitterly disappointed ! Ah well, Buen Camino to those who blithely toddle on !

Vaya con Dios

Samarkand

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.
We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back