• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning my first Camino!

Stephanie Palmer

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2020)
Hi all,

First time poster here! Absolutely love this site. Very helpful! :) I have my heart set on doing the Camino in 2018 - St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Will be my first time doing the Camino & my first solo trip in all my 25 years! I'm going to spend this year saving up money & working on my fitness for it. I just have 3 questions, if anyone could answer them? (I've searched around multiple forums but the answers are either old (2004, 2006 etc.) or I just couldn't find them) Any replies would greatly be appreciated & thank you in advance! :) And lastly, I apologise for what likely are stupid questions!

1) Has anyone come across wild/unleashed dogs that would come up to you growling/barking? I do love dogs with a passion but I'm just a tad bit afraid of them when they're territorial. If so, what is the best option? Just stand still or walk briskly away?

2) Is it possible to still get the Compostela/certificate at the end if you stay in private accommodation? (Hostels/Albergues) I have it in my mind that only the passport stamps for municipal places/bars/churches etc. are accepted.

3) From St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago, do you have to collect 2 stamps on the last 100km or is that only if you're travelling from Sarria itself? I've read a few mixed comments about this one so I am a bit unsure. Also, how do you know what places have the stamps? Do you just ask or is there a sign for example that mentions that they do?

Thank you again in advance!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Steph...welcome to the Forum. Good questions:

1. There are dogs...some wild...some guard dogs. As with anything...be aware! I am sure you know not to approach a dog you don't know. Use good judgment.
2. It's not where you stay, but rather where you walk.
3. Getting sellos is the national sport of the Camino AND a requirement for the Compostela. Collect as many as you wish...they make a great conversation piece and a reminder of something "special" that you may wish to remember and recount to others. From Sarria...two a day is a good thing.

Buen Camino

Arn

Yes, sellos from anywhere are acceptable!

As @Arn says on some routes there are guard dogs and occasionally they are off the leash. But on the Camino Frances these days from SJPDP to SDC the dogs are so bored with the thousands of pilgrims they can't even raise a bark. I have not seen an unchained or unfenced dog, other than very friendly gentle ones, in my last four pilgrimages on the Camino Frances. The last time I saw an unfriendly dog on that route was in 2001. I don't think you need have even the slightest worry on that score @Stephanie Palmer.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
1) Never encountered an unfriendly dog.
2) You can get stamps anywhere: supermarket, drugstores, anywhere.
2) 2 stamps a day only from Sarria, and this is particularly true for those who start in Sarria as it is assumed that those who have started walking way back there will walk the last 100km.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have seen aggressive dogs, but they have always been either behind a fence or on a chain.

The pilgrim office makes this statement about getting stamps:
Stamps from churches, hostels, monasteries, cathedrals and all places related to the Way are preferred, but if not they can also be stamped in other institutions: town halls, cafés, etc.

and it makes this statement about how many stamps:
You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).

You may find that some members will tell you there is no need to get two stamps a day if you are doing a longer Camino. It may be true that they did receive their Compostela having only collected one stamp a day for the the whole time - I know that I did in 2010. But you ignore the pilgrim office requirement for two stamps a day at your own risk.

I never encountered a single vicious dog on any of my Caminos, and I saw a lot of dogs. There was one that forced me to play fetch with him for an hour, but I was a willing victim, ha ha. :)
You can stay in whatever kind of accommodation you want and get a compostela. Also all the hotels, pensiones, hostels and private albergues will stamp your credentials.
Believe me, it's easy to get more than one sello a day all along the Camino Frances. When I walked it in 2014 I filled two sets of credentials with sellos, and could have gotten more. You will have no problem getting two a day on the last 100 km.
cheers and ultreia

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
But on the Camino Frances these days from SJPDP to SDC the dogs are so bored with the thousands of pilgrims they can't even raise a bark
In fact, if a dog does bark a lot it could be a clue that you have wandered off the Camino! :)
Since being bitten by a dog in the face as a very young child, I have always been wary of them, but I barely gave them a thought on the Camino.
As far as accommodations, you could stay in only Paradores and the best hotels, and still receive a Compostela. It's the walk, not where you stay that counts.

There was a discussion here a while ago about the strangest places people have collected sellos from. Mine were a police station and a hairdresser - and not the strangest!

Hi all,

1) Has anyone come across wild/unleashed dogs that would come up to you growling/barking? I do love dogs with a passion but I'm just a tad bit afraid of them when they're territorial. If so, what is the best option? Just stand still or walk briskly away?

2) Is it possible to still get the Compostela/certificate at the end if you stay in private accommodation? (Hostels/Albergues) I have it in my mind that only the passport stamps for municipal places/bars/churches etc. are accepted.

3) From St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago, do you have to collect 2 stamps on the last 100km or is that only if you're travelling from Sarria itself? I've read a few mixed comments about this one so I am a bit unsure. Also, how do you know what places have the stamps? Do you just ask or is there a sign for example that mentions that they do?

no such thing as a stupid question :) welcome to the community!

1 - like anywhere in the world, there is always the chance of encountering a stray dog or two. however, this is fairly uncommon and nothing like what happens in other countries (although we still bullfight in spain, our animal laws are similar to any other developed country, these include stray. and once you get to galicia, most dogs on the Camino, even the unleashed ones, will ignore you as you walk by.*

2. i only stay at private accommodations and get mine with a smile. 90% of my stamps are bars (in spain bars are cafeterias and cafeterias are bars)

3. 2 stamps last 100 km. walk in a ask for a stmp, they are used to us

Buen Camino!

* shirly maclaine really should be awarded a prize for her wild dogs myth :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have pictures of dogs on the Camino, even a golden retriever that looks identical to my own. I did run into one that I stopped with my walking poles when he got too sniffy. The Spanish seem to use heavy chain on their compound dogs, you would be in a minority to run into a problem. The cats seem to have more issues, didn't see many healthy ones.
If you want to test your critter skills try spotting deer or try to take a picture of a Cuckoo bird.
Buen Camino
Keith

Hi all,

First time poster here! Absolutely love this site. Very helpful! :) I have my heart set on doing the Camino in 2018 - St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Will be my first time doing the Camino & my first solo trip in all my 25 years! I'm going to spend this year saving up money & working on my fitness for it. I just have 3 questions, if anyone could answer them? (I've searched around multiple forums but the answers are either old (2004, 2006 etc.) or I just couldn't find them) Any replies would greatly be appreciated & thank you in advance! :) And lastly, I apologise for what likely are stupid questions!

2 (two) a day for last 100km.

My only encounter with a dog was when I missed a turn and a border collie ran after me and kept planting himself in front me, trying to prevent me from walking on. I kept saying Good Doggy! Go home!!! and walked around him. He eventually gave up and went home and got his Boy, who got his Dad and their bikes, and all three caught up with me and got me turned around. Very embarrassing.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You'll see a lot of farm dogs but none to be worried about. Dogs are smart animals and chances are they can recognize a pilgrim walking by just as well as you can. They see hundreds every day.

SJPDP-Santiago was my first solo trip and I never felt like I was in danger

My only encounter with a dog was when I missed a turn and a border collie ran after me and kept planting himself in front me, trying to prevent me from walking on. I kept saying Good Doggy! Go home!!! and walked around him. He eventually gave up and went home and got his Boy, who got his Dad and their bikes, and all three caught up with me and got me turned around. Very embarrassing.
Wait, wait, wait a second.....the dog was trying to prevent you from walking away from the Camino path, and alerted his people who got you back on track?!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That's so freaking cool. Like an episode of Lassie, or something.
I suppose Camino angels can have four legs sometimes.

A furry Camino Angel! He certainly seemed to know what he was doing. He made very direct eye contact with me and I can imagine his frustration when I kept ignoring his efforts to get me turned around. It makes me smile every time I think about him and his family. :)

A furry Camino Angel! He certainly seemed to know what he was doing. He made very direct eye contact with me and I can imagine his frustration when I kept ignoring his efforts to get me turned around. It makes me smile every time I think about him and his family. :)
I've always heard that border collies are an extremely intelligent breed of dog.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome, Stephanie!
Enjoy your planning and preparations--they are all part of the journey!
Buen Camino!
Marcie

Just finished the Camino last month from St. Jean Pied de Port you're going to have an amazing time!.

You will come across many many dogs. But as someone said before most of them wont even look at you. 2 people got bitten from my group though, it was lucky he was wearing gloves. So just be careful.

You don't need to get 2 stamps if you start from St. Jean. It's only the people starting from Sarria that need to because its the last 100 km and thats the requirement to collect your compostella. So don't worry about that but its nice to have your Pilgrim Passport filled up!

Are you going to be flying into Biarritz airport?

- Luke

Many thanks to everyone who has replied! :)

@Arn - Very true points. To add, it isn't about where I stay but rather where I walk & the people I meet along my way :)

@Kanga I never took that into consideration! And as long as you don't pay them any heed/attention, they won't bother you. I'm a bit of an over-thinker to be honest but definitely finding myself being reassured that everything will fall into place once I go :)

@dougfitz Don't worry, I'll remember to collect two a day to be on the safe side!

@Mark Lee Haha! Now that's my kinda dog! :p I'm hoping to fill more than one credentials with sellos with a bit of luck. As it'll be my first time doing the Camino, everywhere will be a memory for me. Thank you! :)

@jefferyonthecamino Thank you! :)

@marylynn Haha! I'd bet he certainly is the "watch dog"! It's funny how he picked out you were going the wrong way. For all he knew, you could of wanted to go that way.

@Lukey Between looking at the photos of people on their travels through it on social media & doing my research, if I could go tomorrow I would! Ooh. Was the other person who got bit, OK? I'll make sure to have my walking stick/s & thick gloves to be prepared!
Not too sure on transport at the moment. Would Biarritz be the closest airport to St. Jean Pied de Port? :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
He jumped over a wall and hurt his knee !
I personally had no problems with dogs at all though..

Just some advice I wish I knew sooner than the day before I left ! I flew to Biarritz thinking I would have time to get the bus to Bayonne train station in time to catch the train to St. Jean. They aren't the best train times that are convenient for flights. The bus takes 25-30 mins(to the best of my memory). Also there was a long long wait through customs. What I did though, was stay in a hotel right beside the train station called Hotel de la Gare (Cheap and cheerful) And catched the early train ( 7.45am, 10 euro) to St. Jean, 1 hour trip, and so began my Camino.

Also I definitely recommend getting a waterproof cover for your backpack ! You can get them off amazon or else there is a pilgrim hiking shop in St. Jean, that opens early. The lesson I was taught on my trek from St. Jean - Roncesvalles in heavy rain/ snow blizzard were that none of my "Waterproof" gear (Backpack, Superdry Jacket, Columbia trousers) were in fact waterproof ! haha buen fucking camino I thought!! To top it off I had no dry clothes to put on in Roncesvalles ! A poncho would come in handy to just incase. !

Take a look at some of my pictures just started a little blog :).

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/irishtravelbug

@Lukey Will definitely take a look at transport times closer to my departure! In my head at the minute, I'd like to arrive either just before 12pm or just after lunch so I have time to wander around, go to the shops, settle into the accommodation etc. Train cost isn't too bad! :)

I see you're from Ireland, I am myself! :) Well used to the rain & change in weather. Haha! Will make sure to keep my bag as light as possible as recommended but will have a mix of clothes (Rain gear & Summery type outfits) prepared so I'll be ready for anything! Including the waterproof cover for my bag & anything else waterproof I can get my hands on.

Just followed you there :) My Tumblr is useless (Hardly any followers & didn't get much attention) so switched my blog to WordPress - www.stephsophie.wordpress.com.

And the bus from the airport to Bayonne is only 1 euro :) Also there is a decathlon on the way! We don't have them in Ireland but its a massive sports shop and its really cheap, really good quality equipment to.

Best of luck anyway and if you have anymore questions hit me up !

Buen Camino :)

I traveled the camino Frances this past Sept and did not encounter any vicious dogs. In fact, I don't recall any encounters with dogs period.

The compostella that you receive asks that you obtain multiple stamps on the last 100km. If you happen to stop at a local cafe, you can get a stamp. Some of the towns also have pilgrim offices and they will issue stamps.

What I'm trying to say is that there are plenty of places on the camino Frances form which you can obtain stamps other than albergues. Further, when you reach the pilgrim office in Santiago, you will likely find that there are a bunch of other people waiting in line and this means that the pilgrim office wants to move people through as quickly as possible. Consequently, they are not in the habit of 'counting' the number of stamps obtained.

Hope this helps

buen camino

I traveled the camino Frances this past Sept and did not encounter any vicious dogs. In fact, I don't recall any encounters with dogs period.

The compostella that you receive asks that you obtain multiple stamps on the last 100km. If you happen to stop at a local cafe, you can get a stamp. Some of the towns also have pilgrim offices and they will issue stamps.

What I'm trying to say is that there are plenty of places on the camino Frances form which you can obtain stamps other than albergues. Further, when you reach the pilgrim office in Santiago, you will likely find that there are a bunch of other people waiting in line and this means that the pilgrim office wants to move people through as quickly as possible. Consequently, they are not in the habit of 'counting' the number of stamps obtained.

Hope this helps

buen camino

Not to engage in fear mongering but a tale to indicate that dog encounters do happen. My apologies that I can not remember the location but it was definitely prior to Sahagun. Fairly early one morning I was meandering along a road engaged in contemplative issues. I passed a farm yard, below the level of the road I was on, and four large mixed breed dogs headed at speed in my direction. They came through a field, through a wide ditch and up onto my road. There was a large amount of barking, snarling and bared teeth. They were intent.

Luckily the road side had many large rocks and I am sure, if timed, I would have the world record for the number of rocks thrown per second. I may have passed a small amount of water. I'm not sure as I was wearing a kilt :rolleyes: Even luckier, the owner came out of a building and called them back. They immediately obeyed. I gradually went back to contemplative issues. This was the only time over the 400 k's that any dogs took an interest in me and so I don't see it as a major cause for a pilgrim. You will be fine...just be aware as you would of any strange dogs anywhere else. You'll have great trip.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back