• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning, planning, planning....

konnie

Time of past OR future Camino
CF; Le Puy; El Norte; Monastery Santo Toribio; Monasteries Yuso and Suso
Hi pilgrims past present and future. I will be a hospitalera in Estella in October so naturally I also want to walk a Camino. But which one, how long, etc, etc. Many years ago I met a young Spanish woman in a hostel in Ireland, and she told me about the Camino. Later we met in Barcelona and she took me to Decathlon where I bought a cheap backpack and sleeping bag. I ditched most of my stuff and took a train to Borgos. I arrived at night and wonder how to find the albergue. A kind couple recogonized me as a pilgrim and walked me there.The next morning at the cathedral I got my credential and a little paper booklet listing towns and pilgrim albergues, and off I set on a cold day in March. So much for planning.

Now I'm spending lots of time researching on the internet. You get the picture! I'm leaning toward Aragonés. But don't they all look inviting?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Konnie,
We served at San Miguel in the summer of 2019. Is that where you will be at the paroquial albergue? We are walking the Aragones this year in June/July so I will let you know how it goes.
Janet

Hi Janet, I’ll be in the big municipal one. I would like to hear how it goes on the Aragones. Your Camino is coming up soon!

C

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Janet, I’ll be in the big municipal one. I would like to hear how it goes on the Aragones. Your Camino is coming up soon!

C
Are you volunteering for the hospitality service through American Pilgrims? If so it should be enjoyable and you won't have to clean! We were in Estella when they were having their medieval festival. Very fun. Don't miss the olives at one of the fruterias on the main pedestrian Street. I think it is Moreno in the name. Big tubs of olives and he will dip you a nice mixtures of them all if you ask.

I didnt go thu American Pilgrims for this one, but I did for Nájara, and we did clean. I dont know if I'll be cleaning. I love olives, thanks for the tip. Are you booking ahead? That will be new for me but I think its the way to go now.The village of Estelle is nice, I remenber it form my long ago camino.

Najera is now staffed by FICS.

We stay at a lot of places that don't take reservations, but do call ahead if it seems prudent due to a Spanish holiday or perhaps at pinch points. If we couldn't find a place we could cab somewhere where there is a bed and then cab back the next day. We have not ever had to do that yet. Have never been without a bed. We stay in the AC Hotel chain in bigger cities since I have a lot of Marriott member points to use for a comfy private room.

Reservations and are a big source of anxiety. I understand that, but as I said we've never been without a bed and seldom reserve unless it is a holiday/fiesta time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What does FICS stand for? Anyway when I was at Nájara we turned away a lot of pilgrims and at that time it was a 90 bed deal. We put people on the floor, called around, sent them on sometimes in taxi to Azofra until finally the municipal opened up the over flow.

When I walked the CF long ago it was not so crowded, but it was busy at Easter. When I arrived at an albergue it looked packed, and I was looking around for a corner to sleep in. But when the hospitalera, a local Spanish women, arrived to assign beds she said, let the young ones sleep on the floor.

I think I will walk the Aragonés. Have you done any of the chemin d'Arles in France?

Thanks C clearly! I just tried googing it and got something about mortgage software.\

Where are you thinking for 2022?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What does FICS stand for? Anyway when I was at Nájara we turned away a lot of pilgrims and at that time it was a 90 bed deal. We put people on the floor, called around, sent them on sometimes in taxi to Azofra until finally the municipal opened up the over flow.

When I walked the CF long ago it was not so crowded, but it was busy at Easter. When I arrived at an albergue it looked packed, and I was looking around for a corner to sleep in. But when the hospitalera, a local Spanish women, arrived to assign beds she said, let the young ones sleep on the floor.

I think I will walk the Aragonés. Have you done any of the chemin d'Arles in France?
We have not walked any of the routes in France. We try to walk segments before and after where we will serve for the year so this year Canfranc Estacion to Puenta la Reina then back to Canfranc Pueblo to volunteer.

I like the back and forth idea.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back