• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning: New to El Camino with 6yo kid (which route is best?)

newme

Time of past OR future Camino
camino 2024, new
Hello Everyone, this is my very first post here. Have been reading a lot of posts in this forum and have learned a lot. I would appreciate your help / advice as we design our plan for our first ever El Camino experience. Thank you in advance!

- CONTEXT: We are a family of 3 currently planning to do ‘a section’ of El Camino as first timers with our soon-to-be 6yo. in the end of May / early June 2024. We are an ‘outdoorsy’ family who loves hiking. We have been going to the mountains and national parks in NorthAmerica for camping and walking with our son since he was 3yo. Our son is used to be outdoors, but has never walked more than 10 km per day everyday during weeks. We are preparing him, but we want to be realistic and try to just to a section of the route this year (2-3 weeks) so that we can all enjoy the experience with the hope to complete El Camino when our son is older.

We are thinking of two possible options 1) Costal portuguese way possibly from Oia to SDC - we love the ocean and we think the summer time by the coast would be enjoyable; or 2) Camino frances from St. Jean to Burgos - we love the idea of doing the most traditional way and we have read this route is highly recommended for families with children.

-QUESTIONS:
1)For the time of the year of early June and considering we are newbies with a 6yo, which route would be better for us? any pros & cons for each option? any special advice?
2) Is there any other route you might suggest to us as a better option than these two?
3) Are we too late to book accommodation in advance???

Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated!
thank you!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
1) Costal portuguese way possibly from Oia to SDC - we love the ocean and we think the summer time by the coast would be enjoyable;
Just be aware that most of the ocean part of this camino is before Oia. From Oia there are only two (normal-length) stages on the coast, assuming you take the coastal alternative from Baiona to Vigo.

You might consider starting in Pamplona. There are more villages where you can stay after Pamplona so you can adjust you distance according to how you feel. You are not too late to book in advance, but if you do book, don't over-estimate how far you can walk with a 6yo each day. Better to make slower progress and enjoy it.
If you decide to start in St Jean, consider breaking the journey in Valcarlos, which is a more even split for the first 2 days than stopping at Orisson.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In. Y limited experience, I would also suggest the Camino Frances, starting in Pamplona. Starting in Saint Jean is great, but there are a couple of tough days that could be a little overwhelming for your youngster and you don't want to put him off. However, having said that, if his mileage per day has increased, it is definitely doable and exciting (climbing over the Pyrenees and leaving France and entering Spain). I met a family with 6 children when I walked and they had started in Le Puy, my respect and awe is paramount. Whatever you decide, have fun and Buen camino.

I haven't experienced the coastal Portuguese route so will leave advice about that to those who have.
I've only walked the original route, which to me, has sections I'd consider dangerous with a busy 6 year old.

Personally, I'd think the CF would be the best option for a first Camino with a child. There are plenty of places to stop and rest and eat and sleep, as well as bag transport and taxi services. He is also more likely to meet pilgrims his age on the CF, I would think.

Hello Everyone, this is my very first post here. Have been reading a lot of posts in this forum and have learned a lot. I would appreciate your help / advice as we design our plan for our first ever El Camino experience. Thank you in advance!

- CONTEXT: We are a family of 3 currently planning to do ‘a section’ of El Camino as first timers with our soon-to-be 6yo. in the end of May / early June 2024. We are an ‘outdoorsy’ family who loves hiking. We have been going to the mountains and national parks in NorthAmerica for camping and walking with our son since he was 3yo. Our son is used to be outdoors, but has never walked more than 10 km per day everyday during weeks. We are preparing him, but we want to be realistic and try to just to a section of the route this year (2-3 weeks) so that we can all enjoy the experience with the hope to complete El Camino when our son is older.

We are thinking of two possible options 1) Costal portuguese way possibly from Oia to SDC - we love the ocean and we think the summer time by the coast would be enjoyable; or 2) Camino frances from St. Jean to Burgos - we love the idea of doing the most traditional way and we have read this route is highly recommended for families with children.

-QUESTIONS:
1)For the time of the year of early June and considering we are newbies with a 6yo, which route would be better for us? any pros & cons for each option? any special advice?
2) Is there any other route you might suggest to us as a better option than these two?

thank you!!!
I can’t speak to the Portuguese routes, but we walked with a 8 yr old granddaughter and her 10 yr old brother in 2018 from Sarria to SdC. My advice would be to do about 10 km a day (1/2 a Brierly stage), at least until you get the feel of things. Sarria to SdC is pretty easy and shouldn’t be too crowded in early June. SJPdP to Burgos is 11-12 days at an adult pace so you might do it in three weeks with a child in tow (we had to tow the 8yr old up some of the hills with her dad carrying her pack). The trek over the Pyrenees is great but there is a long day (for a child) from Orisson to Roncesvalles (~17 km). Roncesvalles to Burgos is an option, as is Pamplona to Burgos.

Good luck. The Camino makes for a great family adventure.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So fun!!

I've done a few caminos - the full Frances (solo), Sarria to SdC (with my 2.5 year old and husband), and Camino Portuguese (solo) the central route from Porto with the variant. I feel like I have a little insight into this question.

1) Unless you are going in July or August, it will be warm but not scorching, but that also depends on which route you choose. Either way, try to start your day early so you can be done before it gets too hot.

2) Now I haven't done the coastal CP, but from all my experience I would typically recommend doing Sarria to SdC. There is so much support along the way. It is busier, but there are more places to stay and more opportunities for snacks and parks/playgrounds.

If you have your heart set on starting in SJPdP, just know that going up and over the Pyrenees' is brutal. I would recommend breaking it up into two days - day one at Orrison and then day two at Roncesvalles. Orisson to Roncesvalles is a long slog and there isn't much support. I believe you can book Orisson in advance and would recommend staying there. It is a wonderful place.

Now hiking the Camino with a kid is so incredible! Everyone was unbelievably supportive (imagine pilgrims at a restaurant cheering for us as we passed) and helpful. Be prepared for EVERY Spanish person to give your kid candy/snacks/treats and every grandma you pass to fuss over them and then hand them a sucker. It's the sweetest.

3) As long as you have a rough idea of where you will be ending a day or two in advance, you shouldn't have much of an issue. You can prebook most places on booking.com for both private and dorm rooms.

I'm really excited to hear you guys are doing this. It was such a special trip to share with my husband and daughter. So much so that next year when she is 8 we are going to start section hiking the Frances!

And lastly, for some unsolicited advice - I carried chocolates that were shaped like coins and told my daughter that even though they were coins, as we got closer to the castle (Santiago), they would start to turn into chocolate for her. It kept her motivated to keep walking.

I can’t speak to the Portuguese routes, but we walked with a 8 yr old granddaughter and her 10 yr old brother in 2018 from Sarria to SdC. My advice would be to do about 10 km a day (1/2 a Brierly stage), at least until you get the feel of things. Sarria to SdC is pretty easy and shouldn’t be too crowded in early June. SJPdP to Burgos is 11-12 days at an adult pace so you might do it in three weeks with a child in tow (we had to tow the 8yr old up some of the hills with her dad carrying her pack). The trek over the Pyrenees is great but there is a long day (for a child) from Orisson to Roncesvalles (~17 km). Roncesvalles to Burgos is an option, as is Pamplona to Burgos.

Good luck. The Camino makes for a great family adventure.
I am happy to hear your experience with an 8 year old. My daughter will be 8 next year wants to section hike the Camino with me and really wants to start at SJPdP. It would be great/helpful to hear a little about her experience for both me and @newme.

I suggest visiting Gronze.com because it covers numerous routes a gives distances between places to stay which sounds like a relevant factor considering that your daily walking distances may be slightly limited.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

-QUESTIONS:

thank you!!!
Given what you describe, I would walk a section of the Frances, but I wouldn't walk from St. Jean. From St. Jean to Roncesvalles is a lot to ask of children who haven't walked more than 10 km, even if you break it in two at Orisson or Borda. I second the idea of walking from Pamplona. Be sure to show him the chickens in the cathedral at Santo Domingo. :)

The Frances is certainly the prototypical Camino. It is the one that you are most likely to see in movies, books, etc. When I first did the Camino in the 80s it was the only route anyone talked about and was just called Camino de Santiago because they didn't have to distinguish it from any other routes. And with the most supporting infrastructure, it is very suitable for families, especially on a first Camino. All of that infrastructure will give you flexibility to adjust when you discover how it really is for you all day after day on the Camino. It also may give a bit more of a "pilgrim feel" than walking by the seaside in the summer when the villages will be filled by those looking to spend their holidays on the beach.

I doubt you are too late. I would advise, though, against booking the whole route in advance. Book the first two or three days. Then, if you want to continue to book, book a day or two in advance. That will, again, give you the flexibility to adapt to the situation on the ground.

When I walked the Frances with my son (15-16, his birthday was mid-Camino) in 2016, for several days we met a Korean family with two children (5 and 7). They were walking the same 20+ km days we were (although they were well into their Camino). The kids seemed to be doing fun (although they were carrying very light backpacks with the parents shouldering the extra load). When they got to the albergue the kids were always in a great mood and filled and filled with more energy than us adults. The parents told us it wasn't always sunshine and butterflies with the kids during the day. They were kids after all! But we never saw any of that.

Last edited:
I also agree that the Camino Francés is most suitable with a young child. I would start closer to Santiago and finish there, as it might be more exciting for your child, the terrain is not too difficult, and there's a greater possibility of encountering other children. Astorga might make a good starting place. There is on big climb up to O Cebreiro, but it's possible to hire horses for that section.

337226267_746547337094948_6596739782962287542_n.jpg

I walked the Portuguese in April and met a 10 year old who was having a great time. There’s very little highway walking starting in Porto so I think the CP would be suitable but I would maybe suggest doing the Frances instead starting in Pamplona to Burgos which some others have suggested. I just feel like there are more cafes to stop at along that route that would be helpful for a small child who may need lots of breaks. On the CP I really missed that there weren’t as many cafes or towns to stop in. I missed the comraderie of walking up to a cafe to see friends waving at you or reconnecting with people or meeting new people. There are certainly cafes/bars on the CP but not the same way as parts on the CF.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I also agree that the Camino Francés is most suitable with a young child. I would start closer to Santiago and finish there, as it might be more exciting for your child, the terrain is not too difficult, and there's a greater possibility of encountering other children. Astorga might make a good starting place. There is on big climb up to O Cebreiro, but it's possible to hire horses for that section.

View attachment 161558
Astorga would be a great starting place. As you pass by the bridge at Hospital de Orbigo you can tell your son about the great tournament that was held there, one of the best documented tournaments of the Middle Ages (I was told by a professor whose research specializes in tournaments). And the castle in Ponferrada is very six-year-old boy friendly. Ponferrada is framed by the very beautiful towns of Molinaseca and Villafranca del Bierzo. Not to forget O Cebreiro. Altogether a great little Camino which ends in Santiago where you can all pick up Compostelas.

I am happy to hear your experience with an 8 year old. My daughter will be 8 next year wants to section hike the Camino with me and really wants to start at SJPdP. It would be great/helpful to hear a little about her experience for both me and @newme.
Sent you a PM. Check “conversations”.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back