• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning to walk El Camino Frances in late May of 2013

chavesrm

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk el camino frances
My family and I (5 of us) are planning to walk the French way next year in late May starting from Des Moines, Iowa, USA probably on May 25 and giving ourselves until June 30 to be back at home. I would appreciate some help with some our questions, keep in mind that we are all in pretty good shape and the youngest is 19 and the oldest (me) 45:
1- I have Parkinson's and require to recharge my Deep Brain Stimulation system at least once every two weeks. Would I have access to an electrical outlet at least that often assuming I have the correct plug in for it?

2- What is the weather like, generally around late May - June time-frame?

3- Can this trip be done by camping every night on the albergues grounds and use their showers?

We are really looking forward to this adventure next year and all that comes with it. Thank you for your time and guidance.

Best regards,
Rolando

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Ronaldo! You'll have a great trip!

There will be electricity in albergues (just have the right adaptor), but official campsites are relatively rare along the way, and obviously you'd generally have no power if you were camping wild. Albergues are cheap, so there's not much need to camp really. There are a few albergues with gardens where you may be allowed to camp but that would be the exception rather than the rule in my experience.

The weather should be good at that time of year. Warm and probably as settled as any time, but you still have to be prepared for rain etc.

Just head off with your backpacks and take it from there. It sounds scary but that's just how it works. June will be fairly busy so you may not get first choice all the time, but all will be well!

Buen Camino!

Thank you for your feedback and answers to my questions!

One more about cash vs. credit cards. I have read that one should carry at least two credit cards and cash. Does that mean that the albergues take credit cards or is that true only for markets, hotels and restaurants? I'm trying to understand how much cash to carry, assuming we can take cash out of ATM at any town on the way.

Thanks again for your guidance!

Rolando

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
chavesrm said:
One more about cash vs. credit cards. I have read that one should carry at least two credit cards and cash. Does that mean that the albergues take credit cards or is that true only for markets, hotels and restaurants? I'm trying to understand how much cash to carry, assuming we can take cash out of ATM at any town on the way.

Hi Rolando,
Your best bet is to use cash. Albergues don't take credit cards, and many of the small hotels and pensions don't either. Even if places say they take cards, it's often only those issued in European Union countries that have the right chip in the card.

The challenge with ATM usage is fees. As suggested by another poster, if you are in the US you can get an account with Charles Schwaab that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees and reimburses any ATM per-transaction fees that show up. Fidelity has a similar account, but I've had some trouble with their customer service on debit cards.

As for how much cash to carry, I usually take out 200 euros at a time (for one person). I also pay close attention to which upcoming towns have ATM machines, so I'm sure not to run out of money. Be sure to check your bank's rules on how much you can take out each day. And a tip on your PIN code: be sure you know your PIN in numbers, not letters, as overseas machines often don't have letters on the buttons. And be sure it's a 4-digit code.

No matter how much cash you carry, be sure to keep it safe with a money belt that stays with you at all times.

Hope that helps!

Nancy

I totally agree with Nancy's advice. You may find you're carrying more cash than at home, but it's a balance between security, ATM charges, distance to next ATM etc. I always have at least a day's money in reserve.

Day to day you're buying coffees, sandwiches etc, which are generally low value cash transactions. Visa and Mastercard (credit or debit) will work in almost any ATM as far as I know but American Express is less reliable for some reason.

If you get stuck somewhere without an ATM and are short of cash you can sometimes pay for everyone's meal in a restaurant with your card and get the cash back from them. In my experience everyone pays as they go, as you may be in a different place the following night and unable to reciprocate.

Buen Camino!

chavesrm said:
My family and I (5 of us) are planning to walk the French way next year in late May starting from Des Moines, Iowa, USA probably on May 25 and giving ourselves until June 30 to be back at home. I would appreciate some help with some our questions, keep in mind that we are all in pretty good shape and the youngest is 19 and the oldest (me) 45:
1- I have Parkinson's and require to recharge my Deep Brain Stimulation system at least once every two weeks. Would I have access to an electrical outlet at least that often assuming I have the correct plug in for it?

2- What is the weather like, generally around late May - June time-frame?

3- Can this trip be done by camping every night on the albergues grounds and use their showers?

We are really looking forward to this adventure next year and all that comes with it. Thank you for your time and guidance.

Best regards,
Rolando

Hi Rolando. I'll be leaving SJPP on May 27th. It's my first time so I can't offer any advice really. I just hope it goes well for you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi we are planning to start around that date and are also camping. We are carrying a tent and would also like to hear the answers to this. We love the outdoors and sleeping out and also the freedom. We will be travelling before and after so camping throughout is what we wish for. We are in our 60's and realize weight will be a factor so are working hard on it. We plan to eat out so not carrying cooking gear, but everthinge else.

I was wondering what weight you are all carrying with camping. We have just ordered a tent from America and will work the weight down by carrying as little as possible. There are camping grounds along the way.

What I have read about weight is dependent on fitness condition, but as a rule of thumb what I have seen is 10 to 15% of your body weight. We also plan to carry a couple of tents which typically would account for about 5-6 pounds.

Keep in touch, maybe we can exchange tips as we learn them.

Rolando

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi,
I walked a good part of the Camino Frances last summer June-July. I am a 54 year old woman with Parkinsons...no DBS. You will do great and have a fabulous time. My struggles were with heat and over doing it. I also had to deal with blisters. I only met one person with Parkinsons on the Camino. I hope to return next May to pick up some stretches I had to bus.

Rolando I am not sure why you want to take tents. There isn't alot of camping and the Albergues are great inexpensive places to stay. Very few have "grounds" or "gardens" and I did not see anyone sleeping in them. You really want to keep the weight of your pack low, just a bed roll, a change of clothes, a rain jacket and some basic toiletries...and room for water. We all are fit to some degree when we start, but imagine walking 18-26 km a day for 32 days. It takes its toll.
Use a small lightweight pack and you won't be tempted to take more than you need.

We experienced a big range in temperatures. We never got really cold but it did get very hot. A fleece and a wind/rain jacket should be enough. There was rain, and a few good downpours. But generally it was very nice weather.
Carol

I can understand others comments regarding tents and that they personally would not use them but there are valid reasons people choose to use a tent. For myself and my wife, we will be tenting it when necessary but staying in albergues as often we can. The reasons for this are that 1) while albergues are indeed cheap, their cost, along with daily food costs does add up quickly and 2) my wife has panic-anxiety disorder and cannot, under any circumstances, be left alone or with people she does not know... especially in unfamiliar surroundings.

While we can only assume Rolando wants to keep his family together by camping along the Camino, please do remember that sometimes people do have valid reasons why they prefer not use the albergues. With that said, I do believe the albergues to be the best option for those capable of using them.

Hi Rolando,
I had the pleasure of walking with Carol (CTEAM2013) and her family this year, June 2012. They are an amazing group of people and I believe Carol would be a great resource for you. I encourage you to contact her directly.
I did meet a few campers and they were all young and very fit. Their packs were quite substantial. Tent, sleeping pad, and cooking utensils add alot of weight. They needed to carry 7L of water (for two people) for their cooking and clean up...alot more weight. They slept alongside the camino most nights and were quite disheveled in the mornings, especially after the rainy nights (and there were a few). Yet they enjoyed the peace and quiet of sleeping under the stars with only the sounds of nature to lull them to sleep.
I am an avid tent camper and I love to take a shower after a long day! I had to chose one and the shower won. :lol: I stayed in albergues and I am very happy with my choice. The snoring was horrendous don't get me wrong...the absolute worst thing about my camino. I decided after the first few days that there wasn't a darn thing I could do about it. I just accepted it and learned alot about myself and tolerance.
Buen Camino,
Anna

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We also need to be aware there are many other housing options in a variety of price ranges. A few nights we were able to get rooms over bars or double rooms in private albergues for 20-30 euros. There were times when the quiet, the privacy and just being able to soak in a tub were worth it. We stayed in a 4 star in Burgos for 70 euros and basked in the luxury. And we contributed our donativa and a little extra at the places that asked only for an offering. On our anniversary we booked into the Casa Rurale El Molino which had its own scene in the movie "The Way". Its just outside Hornillos and we had THE BEST time there. The guidebooks provide only samplings of options but if you look a little deeper there are many levels of accomodations. Oh I forgot, convents and monasteries too. I am so excited for all of you heading to Spain for El Camino in Spring 2013!
Carol
C-Team 2013

CTEAM2013 said:
We also need to be aware there are many other housing options in a variety of price ranges. A few nights we were able to get rooms over bars or double rooms in private albergues for 20-30 euros. There were times when the quiet, the privacy and just being able to soak in a tub were worth it. We stayed in a 4 star in Burgos for 70 euros and basked in the luxury. And we contributed our donativa and a little extra at the places that asked only for an offering. On our anniversary we booked into the Casa Rurale El Molino which had its own scene in the movie "The Way". Its just outside Hornillos and we had THE BEST time there. The guidebooks provide only samplings of options but if you look a little deeper there are many levels of accomodations. Oh I forgot, convents and monasteries too. I am so excited for all of you heading to Spain for El Camino in Spring 2013!
Carol
C-Team 2013

I just noticed at the bottom of your message you mention Walking for Parkinson's disease. We will be doing this as well. I have PD and since we were going to do the walk anyway, we decided to do it for a good cause. I plan to give updates on preparations and during the walk in case you want to like us and follow us on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/ElCaminofortheCure/

Rolando

Hi Carol,
My husband and I are walking the Camino in May 2013 also. Maybe we will see each other there. Thanks for the info. on the great hotels there. I will have to check them out.
Buen Camino
Nikki

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My husband and I have been reading the forum since we planned our first Camino for May 2013. This will be our first non guided hiking trip and we are very much looking forward to going. It has been very helpful and encouraging to read everyone's thoughts and advice.
We are in our early 70's and are delighted that our son and his girlfriend will be joining us as well. However, we don't expect to walk with them as they are much faster than we are. We look forward to meeting many of you on The Way. We will be walking from Villafranca del Bierzo on the 15th and plan to do the last 125 miles of the Camino. We're practicing with our full backpacks much to the interest of our neighbors (who can't imagine doing anything like this). We're also doing Rosetta Stone to learn as much Spanish as we can (but it's tough going).
Hope to see you. Bien Camino
Gail and Les

gailsilb said:
We are in our early 70's and are delighted that our son and his girlfriend will be joining us as well.
We have had the experience. Five times! Each one with quite different impressions, weather, people, languages, attitudes, and costs. There are so many people walking these days that if you want information from one day to the other once you are on the track, you'll wonder why you worried so much before starting. :D
If you are adventurous, only a tiny bit :roll: , read the "pros'" advices and ...just go. :)
Ultreya :!:

My daughter and I will also be starting our camino about that time. Small world - we live near Washington, DC.
Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
DBS 110 or 220 or both? Get both an adapter fitted for European sockets and bring a extension cord expander to allow other pilgrims to hook into the same socket which you will be needing.
http://www.countryplug.com/
S

It is 110. I now have an adaptor and a transformer just in case.

Thanks,
Rolando

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back