• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poncho quandary — Altus, Frogg Toggs, Vaude, or something else?

On my last camino, I used the Decathlon rain poncho that I bought in Lisbon. It was cheap, and you get what you pay for. After washing it, the taping is all coming off. So back to square one.

Most of the recent forum discussion focuses on the debate between poncho and rain jackets. I did see some poncho opinions but not as many as I had hoped.

I always used to wear an Altus (RIP), but the new Altus Atmorpheric has gotten some less than stellar reviews, and at least one good Spanish outdoor store, Barrabés, no longer sells the Altus. AJ, did you buy it? https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/poncho-altus-atmospheric-s3.66482/

@davebugg recommends Frogg Toggs, but it is very short. I guess it would go well with rain pants? It doesn’t look like it has a “hump” for the backpack, so that must make it very short in the back, no?

I see that @LesBrass went with Vaude and seems happy. But as @Anniesantiago commented in the Vaude thread, the fact that it doesn’t zip down front is a huge disadvantage IMO. I can get Vaude here in the US. I can’t get Altus here, but I can have it shipped from Spain and the cost for Altus poncho & shipping is about what the Vaude would cost.

I once had a Ferrino Trekker, but it has a metallic lining inside and just putting it on made me start to sweat. Someone explained that the metallic lining is to prevent hypothermia, so it may be a fine winter poncho, but not for me and the camino.

Sea to Summit is highly rated but also has no front opening.

I have a few months to obsess, so I would love some feedback.
For many years I had a Marmot rain jacket that I was fond of and about 4 years ago my husband - who loves to get lighter and lighter gear for more pleasant backpacking experiences, bought me a RAB Meridian Rain Jacket. This is the most efficient and lightweight jacket I've ever had and having been in a couple of rain storms it has never let me down:)

Ultreïa!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For many years I had a Marmot rain jacket that I was fond of and about 4 years ago my husband - who loves to get lighter and lighter gear for more pleasant backpacking experiences, bought me a RAB Meridian Rain Jacket. This is the most efficient and lightweight jacket I've ever had and having been in a couple of rain storms it has never let me down:)

Ultreïa!
At $265 the Meridian had better keep you dry.😬

Zip it Dave! lol...Kidding aside, a raincoat fitting over a backpack is the best foul weather gear that I prefer. In hot and humid conditions, a poncho is better but it simply does not do well in very windy conditions - there are countless threads and blogs in countless websites echoing this problem. Though an added benefit of a poncho is that it can be used as a tarp or a groundsheet - bonus for campers. However, if I was forced to choose between the two, the raincoat, one which fits over a backpack, is my go-to choice.
:) I am not arguing your choice, that is a matter of preference which is an inarguable point.

I do disagree about your general assessment of poncho use in windy conditions. Converting from rain jackets a decade ago, I have used ponchos in stormy conditions quite successfully, even on the PCT and Colorado Trail thru hikes and on three Caminos in blustery fall weather.

I do not disagree that many have echoed your comments, but there are at least as many who have reported that with the proper technique, windy weather is not much of a factor.

Basically, the Altus and Packa hybrids are essentially overgrown rain jackets and are quite popular amongst many.

I do agree about the tarp multi-task thingy. In addition to those things you mentioned:
  • A sun shelter, it can be rigged up to provide you shade in hot climates.
  • Wind Break: While a poncho without the liner does not have much insulating qualities, you will be warmer if you wrap up in the poncho in windy weather, this will help protect you from wind chill.
  • Privacy -- great emergency privacy screen when needing to do a 'nature break' and natural coverage of bushes or tall grass is scarce. It also works when needing to change pants or shorts.
  • Sit pad when taking a break and sitting surfaces are damp or dirty.
  • Mattress cover.
  • Can make an emergency backpack or carryall.
  • Windshell to add a bit of extra warmth to layers. Great for cool, early mornings when you need something that can be quickly removed after you have warmed up from walking.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Packa worked well for me. Lightweight rain jacket with a large pouch on the back to cover your pack. Put on/take off without removing your pack.

Eons ago when I gave up on ponchos I bought a polyurethane coated nylon rain suit. The pants were overall style (like the picture but looser). The advantage was ventilation; there was no drawstring or belt to cut off circulation.
8396_SNB_FR-01.jpeg

For those who wish to wear rain pants or rain skirts you may want to modify what you have already to suspend it with a loose waist. Using suspenders (US) or braces (UK) will be very inconvenient but if you figure out a way to hang them from a belt or your torso's rain gear the on and off will be a lot easier.

I think our backpacking days may be over but if I was younger I think I would be using a poncho/jacket hybrid like the Altus combined with rain chaps for the colder, wetter, windier hikes.
k_1132145_bk-01.jpeg

On my last camino, I used the Decathlon rain poncho that I bought in Lisbon. It was cheap, and you get what you pay for. After washing it, the taping is all coming off. So back to square one.

Most of the recent forum discussion focuses on the debate between poncho and rain jackets. I did see some poncho opinions but not as many as I had hoped.

I always used to wear an Altus (RIP), but the new Altus Atmorpheric has gotten some less than stellar reviews, and at least one good Spanish outdoor store, Barrabés, no longer sells the Altus. AJ, did you buy it? https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/poncho-altus-atmospheric-s3.66482/

@davebugg recommends Frogg Toggs, but it is very short. I guess it would go well with rain pants? It doesn’t look like it has a “hump” for the backpack, so that must make it very short in the back, no?

I see that @LesBrass went with Vaude and seems happy. But as @Anniesantiago commented in the Vaude thread, the fact that it doesn’t zip down front is a huge disadvantage IMO. I can get Vaude here in the US. I can’t get Altus here, but I can have it shipped from Spain and the cost for Altus poncho & shipping is about what the Vaude would cost.

I once had a Ferrino Trekker, but it has a metallic lining inside and just putting it on made me start to sweat. Someone explained that the metallic lining is to prevent hypothermia, so it may be a fine winter poncho, but not for me and the camino.

I am on the Camino @ Portomarin with an Altus. Love it!!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I remember when I worked in a backpacking store and Marmot was a new company. Their claim to fame was their articulated sleeves (you could reach any direction and the sleeves wouldn't pull back and the jacket wouldn't lift) and well-designed hoods, that gave great protection, comfort and allowed visibility better than any others. I'm sure the company has been sold at least a couple of times since then. The last rain jacket I had was a Marmot Precip model and the hood was outrageously badly designed. If you try to tighten it at all, it slips down over your field of vision and not even wearing a brimmed hat seems to help.

I like the *idea* of the Altus, but when I've seen them in stores, they seem bulky and heavy. Is there a model that isn't?

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I know, I know, 112 posts already about poncho/rain-coats, what more could I possibly add??
It occurred to me while out in wet weather on the hills on Sunday...
If you have the option to try on your rain-coat before you buy, check that when you have a pack underneath that you have enough room to get your arms out of (and back into) the sleeves, so they can move freely underneath the rain-coat. This can be incredibly useful in persistent rain for getting things in and out of pockets, adjusting straps etc, all in the dry without having to lift the hem of the coat.

check that when you have a pack underneath that you have enough room to get your arms out of (and back into) the sleeves, so they can move freely underneath the rain-coat. This can be incredibly useful in persistent rain [...]
Hi,
Easy with the Parcho.
More difficult with most other ones.

I’ve just returned from the Camino Pyrenees and I used the long sleeve 3FUL Gear Pomcho from AliExpress. No zip, but it is extremely lightweight, has long arms, peaked hood, and a belt so it doesn’t flap around. I’m prepping for the PCT so weight was a factor for me. I have walked the Camino lots of times and part of my staple kit is an umbrella (both rain and sun). I only use the poncho if it’s raining hard.
Froggtoggs are light jackets but they don’t breathe very well. I find I’m soaking wet inside from sweat when I wear my Froggtoggs (it’s a good wind jacket though!)

Hope that helps.

Happy Hiking 🥾- Julia from the UK 🇬🇧

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Froggtoggs are light jackets but they don’t breathe very well. I find I’m soaking wet inside from sweat when I wear my Froggtoggs (it’s a good wind jacket though!)

Frogg Toggs is a brand name which does include rain jackets, pants, ponchos, waders, etc. The Frogg Toggs poncho is made of a moderately breathable fabric. It increases the ability to reduce sweat condensation along with the ventilating and air flow characteristics of a poncho which is worn over a backpack.

I used one during my through hikes of the PCT and the Colorado Trail.

Froggtoggs are light jackets but they don’t breathe very well. I find I’m soaking wet inside from sweat when I wear my Froggtoggs
I have never felt condensation from my Frogg Togg rain jacket, which is one of the things I was really happy about. However I do not walk in the heat of summer; not sure what month you wore yours.

I threw away my poncho (too clunky, still got wet underneath) after a few hundred miles on the Appalachian Trail (lots of spring rain there) and bought a backpacking umbrella. Use releasable zip ties to attach it to your pack for hands-free use. Frogg Togg top for chill and wind. Use a trash compactor bag (heavy thickness) to line the inside of pack; everything stays 100% dry. Pack covers do not work during extended rains. Umbrella also covers the pack. I’ve used this configuration for more than 5000 miles. I wore rain pants to hike once - just got wet from the inside, sweating.
This sounds intriguing since I hate ponchos. Did you have any rainy/windy days? And I’m also wondering if you could explain how you zip tied it to your pack? I can’t visualize where/how you’d do that. Thanks!!!

:) I am not arguing your choice, that is a matter of preference which is an inarguable point.

I do disagree about your general assessment of poncho use in windy conditions. Converting from rain jackets a decade ago, I have used ponchos in stormy conditions quite successfully, even on the PCT and Colorado Trail thru hikes and on three Caminos in blustery fall weather.

I do not disagree that many have echoed your comments, but there are at least as many who have reported that with the proper technique, windy weather is not much of a factor.

Basically, the Altus and Packa hybrids are essentially overgrown rain jackets and are quite popular amongst many.

I do agree about the tarp multi-task thingy. In addition to those things you mentioned:
  • A sun shelter, it can be rigged up to provide you shade in hot climates.
  • Wind Break: While a poncho without the liner does not have much insulating qualities, you will be warmer if you wrap up in the poncho in windy weather, this will help protect you from wind chill.
  • Privacy -- great emergency privacy screen when needing to do a 'nature break' and natural coverage of bushes or tall grass is scarce. It also works when needing to change pants or shorts.
  • Sit pad when taking a break and sitting surfaces are damp or dirty.
  • Mattress cover.
  • Can make an emergency backpack or carryall.
  • Windshell to add a bit of extra warmth to layers. Great for cool, early mornings when you need something that can be quickly removed after you have warmed up from walking.
I wholehearedly agree with davebugg. Again as everyone has said it is personal choice. We spent 54 euros on Altus ponchos 7 years ago and still going strong.

I bought the Sea to Summit Poncho Tarp for my upcoming Camino in 2022. As the name indicates, it can be used as tarp also if push comes to shove. So, we will see how it works. I may not need the tarp part of it on the Camino Frances, but I plan to do a second Camino after that. And that Camino has fewer services and even its guidebook says you may need to camp out on two segments

Wore my Bluefield (similar to Altus, but cheaper and lighter) in really heavy, day-long rain and very high winds and everything stayed dry. It did not flap either.
3 Caminos later and ready for #4, it is still in good shape. It was worth 39€.

This sounds intriguing since I hate ponchos. Did you have any rainy/windy days? And I’m also wondering if you could explain how you zip tied it to your pack? I can’t visualize where/how you’d do that. Thanks!!!
I’ve learned to hate ponchos too - so clunky. I’ve used umbrellas on windy days on the Appalachian Trail, the Via Francigena, and a Camino from Paris to the Norte and down the Primitivo. They hold up better in wind than you might suspect. At some point, though, nothing will keep you dry. I sent my backpacking umbrella (AT trail is too tight in places for anything larger than a backpacking umbrella) home along with tent in Irùn and bought the largest umbrella I could find - worked like a charm. That one I just held during rains. On pack straps there are there are usually points or loops that a zip tie can be threaded through. Use one for the upper shaft and one around the handle to keep it stable. Get releasable zip ties and just leave them attached to your pack. Frogg Togg top breaks the wind nicely on blustery days, keep you warm. Umbrella keeps the rain out of you face and you won’t get wet from sweating. I’ve used this combo going on 6,000 miles. Glad to throw my poncho in the hiker box.

I’ve learned to hate ponchos too - so clunky. I’ve used umbrellas on windy days on the Appalachian Trail, the Via Francigena, and a Camino from Paris to the Norte and down the Primitivo. They hold up better in wind than you might suspect. At some point, though, nothing will keep you dry. I sent my backpacking umbrella (AT trail is too tight in places for anything larger than a backpacking umbrella) home along with tent in Irùn and bought the largest umbrella I could find - worked like a charm. That one I just held during rains. On pack straps there are there are usually points or loops that a zip tie can be threaded through. Use one for the upper shaft and one around the handle to keep it stable. Get releasable zip ties and just leave them attached to your pack. Frogg Togg top breaks the wind nicely on blustery days, keep you warm. Umbrella keeps the rain out of you face and you won’t get wet from sweating. I’ve used this combo going on 6,000 miles. Glad to throw my poncho in the hiker box.
Wow you walked all of those makes my Frances and Portuguese look pretty ordinary!!!!!

BEST ADVICE IS TO SIMPLY TRY YOUR GEAR ON TRIAL HIKES IN VARIOUS CONDITIONS BEFORE YOU HEAD OUT FOR YOUR CAMINO JOURNEY! Especially footwear and rain gear. And test them in similar weather conditions. Rain, wind, snow, cold, hot, humid.... For example, rain pants and a large rain trench coat that fits over your backpack is great in cooler and windier weather but a sauna in hotter weather while a poncho is better in warmer weather it offers less protection (cover) and is not as protective on windy days. AGAIN, try the gear and you will form your own "personal" opinion as to your preference.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.