• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porta Potties between towns

Lwight

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023 CF
I have read that in 2019 there were no public restrooms between towns. Is there any update to this situation? I'm prepared for the worst news but it creates more weight and likely many embarrassing moments.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The sanitation situation remains unchanged. Why would it change? Who would pay for that change?

The Camino Frances route is replete with cafes and bars complete with toilet facilities. If you want to use their facilities and don’t want to buy a drink just leave a €1 on the bar with a “gracias”.

If you have a specific health condition that might lead you to challenges there are many on this forum who have faced similar. Plan how you will deal with it and research “leave no trace”.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have read that in 2019 there were no public restrooms between towns. Is there any update to this situation? I'm prepared for the worst news but it creates more weight and likely many embarrassing moments.
The towns on the Frances are close enough together that there will be a toilet opportunity in cafes/bars- buy a coffee, use the toilet.
On lesser walked Caminos, be prepared to 'go in the wild', and try not to leave evidence.

Buy a roll of toilet paper, smash it flat, stick it in a plastic baggie in an easy to reach spot in your pack. Also, if you have any small compost bags, bring those along, as it’s a handy solution for disposing tissue. Drop the baggie off in the next town. Minimal weight.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
An inexpensive lightweight option for the “nothing left behind” is a doggie poo bag. They come in rolls of about 12 bags and are very lightweight. You can get biodegradable ones. They can also be handy for Apple cores, banana peels, etc. just tie the top and drop in the next trash can.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
An inexpensive lightweight option for the “nothing left behind” is a doggie poo bag. They come in rolls of about 12 bags and are very lightweight. You can get biodegradable ones. They can also be handy for Apple cores, banana peels, etc. just tie the top and drop in the next trash can.
I am currently on thé Chemin Le Puy and have a roll of biodegradable doggy poop bags. I started using them to pick up other people’s garbage, and emptying them in trash cans. The idea was to use them for myself au cas ou. I am sure some of what I pick up is dropped accidentally, but a LOT is not.

Unfortunately, it is very obvious once on the Camino Frances to see where porta potties are needed. There are long stretches where people OBVIOUSLY can't wait and they are not trained in "leave no trace". There are lots of traces along the Camino. On longer, rural stretches one sometimes finds a "rest stop" with picnic tables, awnings, sometimes even BBQs but not a bathroom. At these rest stops, you don't need to walk more than 10 paces to see all the "traces" of bathroom activity. Disgusting--humans spoiling the nest so to speak. Why people can't walk further away to do their business, I don't understand. This is one of my pet peeves.

Some of the rest stops are along dirt roads used by tractors. One particularly nice rest stop had the tables, awning and even trash and recycling receptacles. It was at the junction of a paved road and a dirt, agricultural road. It would have been a great place for a porta potty or a real public restroom. Easy access for the maintenance crew--trucks go buy to pick up the trash, why not have a restroom there?

Very few towns had public restrooms. When they did, they were well maintained and well used.

Perhaps one way to fund porta potties/public restrooms and a maintenance crew would be to charge just a few Euros more for the pilgrim credential and use this money for facilities where they are most needed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Perhaps one way to fund porta potties/public restrooms and a maintenance crew would be to charge just a few Euros more for the pilgrim credential and use this money for facilities where they are most needed.
This is one of those topics that has been thrashed more thoroughly than a Benidorm Donkey but does still need some exercise.

Try here for one exposition https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ue-on-the-cf-in-particular.71818/#post-962958 or just stick "Portaloo" into the search engine, pour a glass of wine, switch your 'phone to "silent" and enjoy your evening

On longer, rural stretches one sometimes finds a "rest stop" with picnic tables, awnings, sometimes even BBQs but not a bathroom.
'S funny innit. Those little recreational spots - Barbie, tap, bit of shade - used by the locals on their inclinational days - everybody tells everybody make sure you've "been" before we go. The kids and especially Grandma. But everybody also knows how to "go" with a bit of discretion - especially Grandma ( she's had some practice over the years) And anyway there's always Uncle Juan with a spade in the back of his quatro/quatro. And then along comes a pilg, finds a spot just off camino, just behind that brick built hearth, just out of sight....

Aach, there's no point arguing this anymore, it's all a load of crap ;)

The sanitation situation remains unchanged. Why would it change? Who would pay for that change?

The Camino Frances route is replete with cafes and bars complete with toilet facilities. If you want to use their facilities and don’t want to buy a drink just leave a €1 on the bar with a “gracias”.

If you have a specific health condition that might lead you to challenges there are many on this forum who have faced similar. Plan how you will deal with it and research “leave no trace”.
Couldn’t state this more stribngly I hope there are NEVER Porto potties on any Camino!! For goodness sake carry a ziplock and some toilet paper. Don’t leave your trace!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For women look into a kula cloth for when you have to go “in the wild”. It replaces having to carry tp, at least for #1 😉.
That and a little bit of water from a portable bidet (yes, they make them for camping) — or even a designated squirt bottle and all problems are solved. A little hand sanitizer and water to rinse that sticky feeling away… Bob’s your uncle.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Go to the bathroom in the morning. Clean yourself to avoid rash in the heat of day. Carry toilet paper for emergency use. Use restrooms in bars (pay for it).This is not difficult.

Edit: Above all, behave, respect others, and leave no traces. Carry your sh*t with you.

Last edited:
Go to the bathroom in the morning. Clean yourself to avoid rash in the heat of day. Carry toilet paper for emergency use. Use restrooms in bars (pay for it).This is not difficult.
Has anyone ever seen a U-bend video or blog or one of any of those other online expositions of Camino where the “hero” does what bears do? Doesn’t the entire online Camino experience mirror Dysney? No one ever takes a shit except Shrek. Wouldn’t it be great if all those bloggers didn’t edit out the “excuse me” bits.
I remember with some affection the faces of some of my OB trainees as I guided them in the digging of a trench latrine and demonstrated how to squat over it and as I cautioned them on the value of good balance and core strength

€60,-
Has anyone ever seen a U-bend video or blog or one of any of those other online expositions of Camino where the “hero” does what bears do? Doesn’t the entire online Camino experience mirror Dysney? No one ever takes a shit except Shrek. Wouldn’t it be great if all those bloggers didn’t edit out the “excuse me” bits.
I remember with some affection the faces of some of my OB trainees as I guided them in the digging of a trench latrine and demonstrated how to squat over it and as I cautioned them on the value of good balance and core strength
And reminded them when selecting a leaf 🍃 avoid plants that had three leaves and were shiny... 🤣

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
This is one of those topics that has been thrashed more thoroughly than a Benidorm Donkey but does still need some exercise.

Try here for one exposition https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ue-on-the-cf-in-particular.71818/#post-962958 or just stick "Portaloo" into the search engine, pour a glass of wine, switch your 'phone to "silent" and enjoy your evening
Thanks for the link. I see you were the only one to focus on cost and possible solutions. I bet it is all doable and at a reasonable cost. If there's the will there's a way....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for the link. I see you were the only one to focus on cost and possible solutions. I bet it is all doable and at a reasonable cost. If there's the will there's a way....
The problem is that there is no one entity that is in charge of the Camino. Each region has groups that are responsible for maintenance and signage, and some have more funds than others.

Thanks, but where it all falls down is that 90% or so of those who walk into Santiago start from near the 100km bar. I suspect they’ll be disinclined to bung €5 to provide for the random few that set out from stranger places

I think porta-potties along the Caminos sound like an unsightly and "dirty" nightmare to me. I think I'd rather see the tp strewn along the trail behind bushes than catch a "wind" while using those plastic albatrosses dispersed along the trail; unsightly and probably not being taken care of properly.😝. I'm inclined to find my own bush and pack unmenionables out in a baggie...just saying.
P.S. On all of my Caminos I've never seen more than 2 or 3 poos left out in the open for all to see. I think the odds are slim.

Last edited:
I've personally had no problem with that..."a lit'l dab will do ya".😅. No, I'm not talking the old Brylcream advert. jingle.
Personal mileage may vary as they say, but I’ve read this widely in different hiking and field-work guides: the pads were not meant to do this work and their materials do not protect against the acid, and so people who are more sensitive/allergic, inclined to rashes and hives and whatnot need to be forewarned That they should buy the lowest protection incontinence pads, not menstrual ones.

I think porta-potties along the Caminos sound like an unsightly and "dirty" nightmare to me. I think I'd rather see the tp strewn along the trail behind bushes than catch a "wind" while using those plastic albatrosses dispersed along the trail; unsightly and probably not being taken care of properly.😝. I'm inclined to find my own bush and pack unmenionables out in a baggie...just saying.
P.S. On all of my Caminos I've never seen more than 2 or 3 poos left out in the open for all to see. I think the odds are slim.
Indeed. I once made the mistake of ducking into one near the church on the way up to Alto de Perdon after Pamplona and my eyes watered and I nearly threw up on my own boots! I had to open the door to catch a breath, and then prop it with my foot… I’ve never encountered such a thing before or since, but it certainly demonstrated a real hazard. Also: I like the term “Plastic albatross” — it’s perfect.

Our first Camino walk was in 2001 and I saw lots of tp and some poo. It always seemed to be right next to the nicest shady tree along the way where I want to sit and have a snack. I think porta-potties at picnic grounds would be nice, but clearly it would be expensive to maintain and during the busiest seasons would be awful with the heat. It really is not all that difficult to do the LNT thing--carry doggie bags, some TP, hand sanitizer--and a plastic trowel for emergencies. There are probably others, but for $3.50 on Amazon, you can get yourself Coglan's Backpacker's Trowel. 2 oz.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, as I've complained before, it is mostly WOMEN, peeing on the trail and leaving their tp behind.
I think in all the years I've bene walking I've only seen one or two poos as well.

Buy a roll of toilet paper, smash it flat, stick it in a plastic baggie in an easy to reach spot in your pack. Also, if you have any small compost bags, bring those along, as it’s a handy solution for disposing tissue. Drop the baggie off in the next town. Minimal weight.
A roll of doggie doo bags is a very useful addition to your kit. Minimal size and weight but large number of bags. Good for unfinished pieces of food also.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Campers' toilet paper rolls. They come in a plastic clamshell, they have no center tube, and they serve in airports, bars, restaurants, etc. etc. etc.
I will also throw in a small word for the poo bags that many folks have in their household supplies to pick up after their pets.

BC

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I never saw any porta potties my 61 days on the CF last fall! Always used facilities at bars and bought something.

The only one I ever saw, situated on the Mosel Camino in Germany, and pretty sure it wasn't put there for pilgrims... But it was open and very much needed in this moment 🤣.

There are quite a few compost toilets on the way from Le Puy, but that's probably because there are much less towns between stages and even less bars/cafes. In France, in the smaller towns and villages, there was often a public toilet, also, usually close to the mairie or market place or sports area.

On the Camino Francés in Spain you'll find an open cafe/bar at almost every corner. That's how you do it on the Francés:

1. Use the bathroom in the albergue in the morning before you start walking.
2. At every open bar/cafe you pass by (which is, with few exceptions, about every half hour to every hour or so), ask yourself, might I need a toilet soon? If the answer is yes, then
3. Go into the bar or cafe and order a coffee (or aquarius, or coke, or bottle of water to carry with you, or a bocadillo, or a beer ect).
4. Use bathroom.
5. Continue walking.

It's really that easy.

For emergencies a large poncho is useful as a screen. It's your portable toilet-tent in areas without trees and bushes where otherwise you can be seen from 5kms away while sitting down to...

As others said, carry out the waste you produced during such an emergency stop.

There's usually no need for those, though, unless someone has a weak bladder or a health problem (which of course requires different planning).

IMG20220511110808.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You're new here, so you haven't seen the dozens of discussions about the barbarians who leave their T.P. visible from the trail along with the reason for its use. On Camino Francés, the longest stretch without a village is seventeen kilometers.

I always carry a roll of squashed t.p. It will come in handy.

I come from a backpacking background in the United States so I have developed a system for pooping in the woods. Basically, as a backpacker I started out using a trowel to dig a little cathole someplace, do my duty, then cover it and the tp up with dirt. That's the recommended way of doing it for backpacking. I have changed my technique a little bit over the years. Now, I just use my hiking pole to dig the hole. It's a little bit cruder than a trowel, but it gets the job done, and I have the hiking pole, anyway. I took a crap in the outdoors a grand total of 3 times on the 500 mile Camino Frances. Once was on the 17 km stretch with no towns between Carrion de los Condes and Calzadilla de las Cueza. Another time was on the 13 km stretch with no towns between El Burgo Ranero and Reliegos. Both of those times I went away from the Camino at least 75 yards. I went through a rest area and went out the back to find an area concealed by trees and brush. Basically, there are times that you just have to go, and you need to be ready for it.

The Camino isn't a wilderness hike. Unless you have a sudden and urgent problem you should be able to make it to a town with a toilet to empty your bowels. I have thus far on 6 Caminos never had to go "off trail."
If course I carry necessary supplies if I can't make it to a bathroom.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Camino isn't a wilderness hike. Unless you have a sudden and urgent problem you should be able to make it to a town with a toilet to empty your bowels. I have thus far on 6 Caminos never had to go "off trail."
If course I carry necessary supplies if I can't make it to a bathroom.
Likewise.

The rest rooms between towns are called Trees. Just be careful if you need one. A dig and bury your own waste policy is a good one. I only got caught out once and was seconds from disaster so I can provide an extra tip. Don’t buy any freshly squeezed orange juice from roadside vendors who leave their oranges in the sun; enough said.

Bushes, walls, etc I find work very well.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh my god the rolls of tp in Spain are small. I don’t know the OP’s needs and it was just a suggestion. The tp is also nice to have on hand for other things like a runny nose.

In an attempt to reduce any waste I have returned to the old fashioned hankie for my nose. The two I took on my last Camino got a good workout.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back