• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto to SdC - the hardest stage?

billbennettoz

Veteran Poster
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013
Camino Portuguese 2014
Via di Francesco 2015
I will be walking from Porto to Santiago in April. First time on the Portuguese.

Can anyone tell me what is the hardest stage? And which stages are the most difficult because of a lack of way markers?

Thanks,
Bill Bennett

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For me the path must also be a discovery.
I've done it three times and the first one was more incredible.
Be prepared take food and water for one meal, and start walking with the first sunrays.
You will see that is the best advice you can get.
The "stages are the most difficult because of the lack of way markers", are the routes in the cities, only. Pay close attention, every corner to find the arrows, if you can't find, you better ask.

In summary the hardest stage depends on their physical condition

Bom caminho

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be walking from Porto to Santiago in April. First time on the Portuguese.

Can anyone tell me what is the hardest stage? And which stages are the most difficult because of a lack of way markers?

Thanks,
Bill Bennett

Hello Bill! Well, to be honest, there is only one hard stage, but if you want to, you can make the other ones very hard :p

When you get out from Ponte de Lima, you have to literally "climb" up until Alto da Portela, a mountain that it has it's top at 500 and some meters. It's not so big has that, the problem is that instead of doing a circular course, you go up on a very inclined ascent, with some natural steps "carved" in the mountain. The best for you it's to stay in Rubiães (you walk only 18km that day), but if you prefer, you can keep going up until Tui (I do not advice people to stay in Valença do Minho). But if you do so, bear in mind that it is a 42km walk! Ouch!!

I didn't had any problems with the markings, but when you are reaching O Porriño, there is a detour that you should use, for not passing through an Industrial Area. Since the owners of restaurants from the Industrial Area are constantly changing the marks for you to pass through out their businesses, pay attention in that area. You will get to the same point, either if you take one or another, but some people don't like to walk the Industrial Polígono, either for visual or psychological reasons.

Best Regards
Diogo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi!
For me the hardest part was between Ponte de Lima and Rubiães too, but the most challenging was that industrial poligon on the way to O Porriño, I thought I will die there. +35degrees, no shade and no wind...

Physically here are no really difficult stages-as mentioned above the marking is very good though as in Spain less so in the cities keep a sharp eye and know your next stop. Porrino was a horrendous stage unless you just like pounding sidewalks and admiring garages and gas stations, cut-rate furniture outlets, and farm equipment emporiums in terrifc heat. I understand there is now an alternative-check the forum to see details.

Hi!
For me the hardest part was between Ponte de Lima and Rubiães too, but the most challenging was that industrial poligon on the way to O Porriño, I thought I will die there. +35degrees, no shade and no wind...

Dear God that must have been harsh has hell! (pun intended).

Did you walk it alone? I walked it with friend, so the psychological thing really didn't affect me. We have done it in May, and it was misty and rainy.

I still don't know if this year I will take the alternative, or if I will keep through the Industrial Poligono. I'm going alone, if I have my music, there will be no problem with that. I'm just concerned that the alternative might be flooded because of the river that pass nearby (I'm going in Late March/Early April).

Best Regards
Diogo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Thanks,
Bill Bennett

Hi, Bill,
I don't know if you've seen JohnnieWalker's online guide at the CSJ: http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm I have just finished doing updates based on a lot of user input, but it will probably take a while to make it onto the website. So if you'd like a copy in word document format (not booklet), just send me a PM with an email and I'll forward it on to you. Buen camino, Laurie

Bill,
Yes, agreed, the only challenging section for me and my friend (spring two years ago) was the upwards slog beyond Ponte de Lima. We actually managed to go wrong before Revolta, adding several kms--probably we had taken to the road, after wading barefoot through a narrow section 3km beyond PdeL (it had rained constantly all night previously).It was well worth the difficult day, however--to reach the very nice albergue in Rubiaes and the beautiful local Rubiaes vinho verde at Bom Retiro restaurant nearby.
Bom caminho!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ponte de Lima to Rubiaes was suprisingly challenging in the bit where you had to scramble uphill for a while, but the views were quite beautiful so it never really felt hard.The part that I felt difficult was the way out of Porto and its suburbs, it lasted two days, i got fed up after 18 km and checked into a nearby hotel and still had to face a few more km the next day. The 18km had taken quite a while i had stood at the crossing of a dual carriageway and the central reservation for about an hour wondering if i was stupid enough to try and cross it, I was! But apart from that if you are reasonably fit/or have trained it should hold no physical terrors.

The waymarking was a little strange. In Portugal it was brillant and I had assumed that for the last 100km it would be the same, while I did not get lost there was quite a few times where i had to do some scouting of an area to find the arrows.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Bill,
I don't know if you've seen JohnnieWalker's online guide at the CSJ: http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm I have just finished doing updates based on a lot of user input, but it will probably take a while to make it onto the website. So if you'd like a copy in word document format (not booklet), just send me a PM with an email and I'll forward it on to you. Buen camino, Laurie
Hi, I too am doing the portuguese route later this year at the end of May; I would be really grateful if you could email it to me as well and word document is by farthe easiest for me to deal with! judydaisy@gmail.com. I would have PM'd you but can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Thanks a lot.

The only place I had a problem with path markings in 2013 was shortly after leaving Padron, due to some work in the rail lines. I suspect that problem has been corrected by now.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have gotten a bunch of PMs along with these requests in the thread. I can't get access to the document for a couple of days, but I will send it along early next week. If you haven't specified one way or the other, I'll send both the Lisbon to Porto and Porto to Santiago documents.

If it helps, I only need the Tui to Santiago section. Thank you so much.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back