• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Posting Luggage in France/Luggage storage service in SJPP?

4HappyFeet

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte 2017
Fisterra/Muxia 2017
Next: Portuguese (Senda Litoral) July 2019
Good afternoon all, a group of us from Oz will be doing the Le Puy camino late in May 2023. A few years ago we used Ivar's luggage receive/storage service which worked a treat. We posted 2 x suitcases via the Spanish Postal Service.

We were wondering if there is a similar service in SJPP?

Has anybody posted luggage recently in France? If so, any tips would be appreciated! Rough cost of doing so?

We hope to post 2 x suitcases on a Saturday morning in Lyon.

Thanks very much in advance, David and Chris

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello! I sent myself a package ahead just using the mail service in France in Aug/Sept of 2022. You address it to yourself at the post office you'll be picking it up from and add "poste restante." This can be a bit tricky with timing, as they'll only hold it for 15 days for you after receiving it (if I remember correctly - please check that out).

I used a flat rate box so I won't be able to speak to the cost - I think a suitcase might be too large for those boxes (though you can see some shipping rates at this link here). I had looked into something similar to Ivar's service via Transport Claudine but it was a no go. Hopefully someone has better info for you!

Hello! I sent myself a package ahead just using the mail service in France in Aug/Sept of 2022. You address it to yourself at the post office you'll be picking it up from and add "poste restante." This can be a bit tricky with timing, as they'll only hold it for 15 days for you after receiving it (if I remember correctly - please check that out).

I used a flat rate box so I won't be able to speak to the cost - I think a suitcase might be too large for those boxes (though you can see some shipping rates at this link here). I had looked into something similar to Ivar's service via Transport Claudine but it was a no go. Hopefully someone has better info for you!
Amandurr, thank you very much. The link you provided means it is possible to post our luggage.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I sent a suitcase from SJPDP to Santiago with Express Bourricot, their office is near the Pilgrims office, €70. Pick up is at a hotel in Santiago with 24/7 reception
Thank you, I will look into this further. Cheers

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Amandurr, thank you very much. The link you provided means it is possible to post our luggage.
Please note that for Poste Restante your suitcase can not be posted full but the contents may be posted in boxes. Each box can weigh up to 5 kilos. Note in the web below the column marked

Tarifs Colissimo livraison en point de retrait Vers France métropolitaine

There is a bureau de poste at the Lyon airport but it is closed saturday and sunday

Last edited:
Please note that for Poste Restante your suitcase can not be posted full but the contents may be posted in boxes. Each box can weigh up to 5 kilos.

There is a bureau de poste at the Lyon airport but it is closed saturday and sunday
Good to know. That rules out Poste Restante for us. I have a destination address now in France who will kindly hold the luggage. It seems most PO's in Lyon CBD are open Saturday mornings. Thanks for your advice.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I strongly recommend using Express Bourricot if starting from SJPdP. This is the fastest, most secure, and reliable way to move luggage all the way to Santiago. It is a closed system with full accountability.

I do NOT recommend using national postal systems to send luggage across national borders. In Spain, the Correos is cheap, easy and reliable. But, getting something from another country into Spain via the post is something else entirely.

One area the EU has not harmonized is parcel shipping across national borders. Basically, each country’s postal system is another pipe in the organ.

Sending a piece of luggage or box full of stuff is possible, but not advisable. Sending parcels to Ivar is also great - once he receives the shipped items.

Another possible tip is to use Express Bourricot or a local taxi service to move your item(s) from SJPdP in France, to Roncesvalles, in Spain. From there you can re-ship via the Correos.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I strongly recommend using Express Bourricot if starting from SJPdP. This is the fastest, most secure, and reliable way to move luggage all the way to Santiago. It is a closed system with full accountability.

I do NOT recommend using national postal systems to send luggage across national borders. In Spain, the Correos is cheap, easy and reliable. But, getting something from another country into Spain via the post is something else entirely.

One area the EU has not harmonized is parcel shipping across national borders. Basically, each country’s postal system is another pipe in the organ.

Sending a piece of luggage or box full of stuff is possible, but not advisable. Sending parcels to Ivar is also great - once he receives the shipped items.

Another possible tip is to use Express Bourricot or a local taxi service to move your item(s) from SJPdP in France, to Roncesvalles, in Spain. From there you can re-ship via the Correos.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Thanks Tom, to clarify we are walking the Le Puy (G65) and finishing in SJPP. We will have 2 suitcases as we are travelling either side of our Camino. I am now confident we can post our luggage within France, probably to a hotel. It would be nice to hear from somebody that has done this. Cheers David

Thanks Tom, to clarify we are walking the Le Puy (G65) and finishing in SJPP. We will have 2 suitcases as we are travelling either side of our Camino. I am now confident we can post our luggage within France, probably to a hotel. It would be nice to hear from somebody that has done this. Cheers David
Friends of mine did exactly this a few years ago ... posted their suitcases from Le Puy to their accommodation at StJPP ... I will check with them and come back to you!

Good afternoon all, a group of us from Oz will be doing the Le Puy camino late in May 2023. A few years ago we used Ivar's luggage receive/storage service which worked a treat. We posted 2 x suitcases via the Spanish Postal Service.

Has anybody posted luggage recently in France? If so, any tips would be appreciated! Rough cost of doing so?

Thanks very much in advance, David and Chris
You might also like to try La Malle Postale ... their main office is at Le Puy-en-Velay near the train station ... check out on their website first or email them ... very responsive in my experience.

You might also like to try La Malle Postale ... their main office is at Le Puy-en-Velay near the train station ... check out on their website first or email them ... very responsive in my experience.
Thanks BR57! Our flights to Lyon were changed (again) so we arrive Lyon late Friday evening, hence have to organise this on the Saturday morning as we then head to Le Puy at lunch time. A small favour please? When you check with your friends can you ask them if they had to wrap the suitcases or just label them? Cheers David

Thanks BR57! Our flights to Lyon were changed (again) so we arrive Lyon late Friday evening, hence have to organise this on the Saturday morning as we then head to Le Puy at lunch time. A small favour please? When you check with your friends can you ask them if they had to wrap the suitcases or just label them? Cheers David
I have just now contacted them ... am almost certain that they did not wrap their suitcases but simply labelled them ... I expect to hear back from them shortly ... à très bientôt ...

Thanks very much in advance, David and
Bonjour David and Chris, so the story is that the suitcase/s were sent from the post office [La Poste] at Le Puy-en-Velay to their accommodation at StJPP [who they asked in advance]. I understand that the case/s were clearly labelled with the forwarding address and that the PO staff [wrapped or] taped them while they were there. I believe taped ... question is : will that happen at any old PO in Lyon?

Bonjour David and Chris, so the story is that the suitcase/s were sent from the post office [La Poste] at Le Puy-en-Velay to their accommodation at StJPP [who they asked in advance]. I understand that the case/s were clearly labelled with the forwarding address and that the PO staff [wrapped or] taped them while they were there. I believe taped ... question is : will that happen at any old PO in Lyon?
Thanks BR57, I am sure it will be OK! If not we will transport the cases till we find a PO that does! I see that you are also in Melb and have done the Le Puy many times. We are really looking forward to the walk. Really appreciate your help & advice! Just one less thing to worry about. Take care.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks BR57, I am sure it will be OK! If not we will transport the cases till we find a PO that does! I see that you are also in Melb and have done the Le Puy many times. We are really looking forward to the walk. Really appreciate your help & advice! Just one less thing to worry about. Take care.
If you are interested we can get together sometime ... I have done that many times over the years ... and you can ask any and all questions you might have about the nitty-gritty of the Voie du Puy-en-Velay ... I also have almost all the guidebooks that you are welcome to borrow ... just let me know by PM 🙏🏽

Friends of mine did exactly this a few years ago ... posted their suitcases from Le Puy to their accommodation at StJPP ... I will check with them and come back to you!
Typically, the postal systems WITHIN a SINGLE COUNTRY are very good. The Correos in Spain is fabulous.

It is the International aspect that complicates matters, especially for parcels or luggage. So, posting items from LePuy to SJPdP should not pose a problem.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Curious about this as well. Currently considering luggage storage in Lyon and returning for it. I had success with 'poste resante' on the Haute Route mailing a bag to myself from Chamonix France to Zermatt Switzerland but it was a backpack under 5kg I think.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi,
curious to hear what you ended up doing as we are in same boat.
cheers
Carmel

G'day @4HappyFeet (and @BlackRocker57 if you are in contact with them).

Greetings also from Oz (WA). We are doing the same thing in Sept this year. How did your luggae transfer eventually go? Did it all work out OK. I'd be interested to hear of any after-the-event do's and dont's.

Thanks, regards, Peter.

G'day @4HappyFeet (and @BlackRocker57 if you are in contact with them).

Greetings also from Oz (WA). We are doing the same thing in Sept this year. How did your luggae transfer eventually go? Did it all work out OK. I'd be interested to hear of any after-the-event do's and dont's.

Thanks, regards, Peter.
@thepacman ... luggage transfer always works fine for me ... I have used La Malle Postale [LMP] for almost 10 years with zero issues; also have used «les Valises de Saint-Jacques» [new service out of Moissac=excellent] and «Transports Claudine» [Figeac>StJPP incl. Voie du Célé=also excellent] ... I am contacting LMP today to get a definitive answer about what is possible re transfer of a suitcase [or two] to StJPP ... once I have it I will come back to you with an answer ...

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I used Nannybag to leave my bag in Lyon. It worked ok? I was a little nervous leaving it in a small alimentation générale but I got it back. One small hiccup was they closed randomly the morning I tried to retrieve it. I got in late-ish the night before and had a brief window to catch a train that day. Long story!

@4HappyFeet ... Hi David👋👋👋 can you let me know how you got on last year posting your suitcases ... I will be most grateful🙏🏽

Most read last week in this forum

A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...
Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back