• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Posting replacement shoes ahead

Sally Forester

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances: (May-June 2016)
Norte/Primitivo: (May-June 2017)
I'd like to post myself a box to retrieve in Leon with a fresh pair of shoes. Love my Hoka Challengers but am noticing breakdown at the 350 mile mark which is affecting my knees. What is the best way to do this? Post extras from US or bring extras on plane and post from Madrid/Pamplona?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'd like to post myself a box to retrieve in Leon with a fresh pair of shoes. Love my Hoka Challengers but am noticing breakdown at the 350 mile mark which is affecting my knees. What is the best way to do this? Post extras from US or bring extras on plane and post from Madrid/Pamplona?
Far cheaper to post shoes within Spain to Leon than to post from US. Furthermore there would be no problem with customs posting from yourself to yourself within Spain.

For more re posting packages in Spain see https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/poste-restante-in-spain.32512/

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Carry the extra shoes into Spain and post from Pamplona. The Correos will hold packages in Poste Restante (General Delivery) for at least two weeks. There is an urban myth that, if you write PEREGRINO under your address, they will hold it for up to one month. But, no one has validated this yet. Please correct me if you know otherwise for a fact.

Last summer, while I was working at the Pilgrim Office, I asked David from the Correos mini-office there about this. He told me he had never heard of the practice. He knew about the standard two-week hold. That was official policy. But the peregrino thing was news to him.

Another idea that works, especially if you have advance hotel reservations at Leon is to mail the parcel to the hotel with a notation on the outside of the box stating:

See Reservation Number: 34567890, Arriving on da/mo/2016.

In Spanish this would read:

Ver Número de reserva: 34567890, Entrando el 99 / 07 / 2016 (day/month/year).

I have done this and it works. But I cannot say if it works all the time and everywhere. Contact the hotel you plan to stay in to ask if they will hold a parcel for you until you arrive.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Another idea that works, especially if you have advance hotel reservations at Leon is to mail the parcel to the hotel with a notation on the outside of the box stating:
Ver Número de reserva: 34567890, Entrando el 99 / 07 / 2016 (day/month/year).
I have done this and it works. But I cannot say if it works all the time and everywhere. Contact the hotel you plan to stay in to ask if they will hold a parcel for you until you arrive.
I'd contacted my Burgos hotel before hand and they said they'd accept a mailed package there no problem! I also put the reservation number and the arrival date on it. But the Correos still made me pick it up at the Correos instead of my hotel. Right across the river from my hotel so no problem. I must say the efficiency of the Burgos main Correos is the best I have ever encountered!!!

Did you perhaps mail the parcel from outside the EU? That could cause a hang-up at the Correos.

Otherwise, I cannot think of why the Correos would even be interested in a private parcel being mailed to a private address, the hotel.

Hmmm, the plot thickens...

Great idea! As long as your knees hold up as well as the shoes you are wearing! Somewhere around Najera if the shoes say "that's all folks you go on ahead", you will need yet another pair. Hoka online says you can find them here:
EPORTES MANZANEDO FCO, GRANDMONTAGNE 26 BURGOS, 09007
Keep the address as an OMG backup if the Post Office or your hotel don't come through.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back