• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Potential future pilgrim

julianeb

Hello, I'm from Texas and have learned about the camino just during the past year. I'm 54, not currently in shape to do much walking at all, but very intrigued with the pilgrimage aspect. Once I knew about the camino, it was rather amazing to me how suddenly I saw books about it just pop up in front of me....The movie "The Way" also came out in November...Not sure if I will ever do the walk but wanted to explore what others have done. (just the other day I was chatting with someone on line and his in-laws did the walk last year!)

:)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Here begins the Journey
Now begins the Day.
With one step upon the Road
My soul is on its Way.

© JS Selfe

Hola Juliane
If you wish to walk the camino as a spiritual journey, there is a networked group of facilities that offer a Christian welcome to pilgrims so motivated. Check out http://www.acogidacristianaenelcamino.es/ . The group is relatively new and the membership likely leaves out many very supportive places, but this is a start!

I did a similar journey, Sarria to Santiago, a year ago, and found it truly revolutionized my faith. This path is made for that use, no matter what other people might tell you!

Rebekah

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had much the same experience. No one I knew had gone on nor even heard of the Camino. I first heard of it, vaguely, in 2004 when I learned that an acquaintance in Maine had gone on “some pilgrimage” “possibly in Spain”. Two weeks later, looking through the travel section in an Oregon bookstore, I saw a book about the Camino. (Not a book I can recommend but it peaked my interest). Less than a month later, back home in Warsaw, with the possibility lingering in my mind, I turned on the tv and lo, it was a show in English about German pilgrims starting at their own doorstep.

I think that your desire to do the pilgrimage will give you the motivation to commit to the exercise you need to do to get prepared. I can say that for me, knowing that it is good for my health etc. etc. is not enough motivation to get me committed to any exercise plan. I know it should be, but it isn’t. But yearning to be a part of the spiritual community that I perceived to exist on the Camino, changed my life. For me, the gift of the Camino was Trust. There is no telling what it will be for you.

IMHO , one of the very best books on the Camino is Fumbling by Kerry Egan. (I am a reader and I have read many, many of the options.) With a respectful, informative attitude, she includes legends and background information about the Camino in the midst of her own personal life experiences. I wanted those Spanish ladies to come and sit tenderly with me also. This book will give you memorable landmarks that will give you a sense of accomplishment along the way. I liked and respected the author as a person. It is the only Camino book that I have given to relatives. I would add though, that you are missing something if you skip the Meseta.

While you are telling yourself that you are undecided, learn or brush up on your Spanish. You can get by with only English but you won’t get to treasure the memory of buying ripe tomatoes to slice and smear on when the only open shop doesn’t carry what you think of as sunburn lotion. I didn’t know a lot but I used what I knew. I wish that I had known enough, to understand what the late priest who helped revitalize the Camino said, with great passion, as he spoke to us after mass. I wish that I had been able to translate the sign on the Gaudi church in Astorga.

Buen Camino,
Nancy

If you happen to be in the Houston area, there is group of past and future pigrims that are just starting a chapter of the Americans on the Camino.

We have a post-Holiday Bayou Ramble scheduled for January 7th. Wine and tapas afterwards. Private message me if you are interested.

I first learned about the Camino in 2002. A retired school teacher I met in Italy gave me one of her guide books. I was quickly hooked and this April (God willing) will be my 8th time on the camino.

Be careful....it can get you hooked! :D

julianeb said:
Hello, I'm from Texas and have learned about the camino just during the past year. I'm 54, not currently in shape to do much walking at all, but very intrigued with the pilgrimage aspect. Once I knew about the camino, it was rather amazing to me how suddenly I saw books about it just pop up in front of me....The movie "The Way" also came out in November...Not sure if I will ever do the walk but wanted to explore what others have done. (just the other day I was chatting with someone on line and his in-laws did the walk last year!)

:)

Hi Julie, I'm from Arizona and am planning on walking the Camino in September of this year. I've never done anything like this before, in fact the only walking I had done in the past was around the corner or in the mall shopping. But I am hooked on everything Camino. I'm 63 years old and have been training by walking further each week since last summer.
If you'd like private message me, I'd love to talk with you - Arlene

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.