• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Prayer without words on the Camino ?

pilgrim b

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Caminos Frances 2013-Ingles 2014-Frances 2015
St Cuthbert's Way 2017-Via Francigena 2018 & 2019
On Camino in those kilometres of walking alone silently, it taught me that prayer isn't always about words. The glorious beauty of the countryside and those wonderful people who I met, the pilgrims and the local people all just filled me with a great joy and love!
A joy deep within my being, as I recognised this beauty was all part of "God's Creation" that I was contemplating.
Have other pilgrims recognised this experience as prayer ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On Camino in those kilometres of walking alone silently, it taught me that prayer isn't always about words. The glorious beauty of the countryside and those wonderful people who I met, the pilgrims and the local people all just filled me with a great joy and love!
A joy deep within my being, as I recognised this beauty was all part of "God's Creation" that I was contemplating.

I don't believe in prayer or "creation", per se, but silent, solitary walking - especially the repetition and rhythm of it, day after day - was certainly a beautiful daily meditation, no words required. It filled me with calm and peace and gratitude, and made me feel more connected to the Universe and other people. Definitely a joy in that!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Walking the camino is a special form of prayer. You are a pilgrim, fulfilling a holy role in a holy place, walking where holy people walked before you, making it even more holy by your presence. The camino de santiago is engineered for prayer. Not everybody knows that, or appreciates it. No matter. If you are there and being a part of it, well. No words required. No explanations needed. Prayer is often just being still in God´s presence, after all.

I say generally the Rosary (as it's an old and familiar habit) when walking but that repetitive activity/mantra flows into a meditative state and ebbs back again into contemplative prayer over the course of each hour/day. Now I just go with that flow and don't really get too worried about what might or might not be considered a 'prayer'.

Walking the camino is a special form of prayer. You are a pilgrim, fulfilling a holy role in a holy place, walking where holy people walked before you, making it even more holy by your presence. The camino de santiago is engineered for prayer. Not everybody knows that, or appreciates it. No matter. If you are there and being a part of it, well. No words required. No explanations needed. Prayer is often just being still in God´s presence, after all.
Beautifully expressed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Rebekah. Your post touched me deeply. Could not have expressed it better.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, Orison when it is turned towards the Centre of Reality, God and Heaven, is the heart of all true prayer.

I learned that on the Camino too :)

Yes, Orison when it is turned towards the Centre of Reality, God and Heaven, is the heart of all true prayer.

Hi JabbaPapa, Just struggling a little on your post: Yes "Orison" when it is ? Not quite sure I understand your meaning here could you help me please.
Pilgrim b

Last edited:
Thank you Rebekah your words are a real blessing to me I appreciate your reply. May God Bless you, and all the other people who took the time to respond to my question.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I learned something too when the light dawned and I looked up the word "Orison"

The act of attempting to communicate with a deity(Orison) when it is turned towards the Centre of Reality, God and Heaven, is the heart of all true prayer.

Thank you JabbaPapa a lovely enlightening post, we both were Blessed on the Camino :)

I learned something too when the light dawned and I looked up the word "Orison"
The act of attempting to communicate with a deity(Orison) when it is turned towards the Centre of Reality, God and Heaven, is the heart of all true prayer.
Thank you JabbaPapa a lovely enlightening post, we both were Blessed on the Camino :)

I was wondering about the etymology of 'Orisson' of La Vierge d'orisson? Could the source be 'Orison' as at would make sense in Mary's role as mediatrix?......and I was certainly making supplications at that point.

pilgrimb, your post has had me thinking and remembering here. I was actually 'inspired' to walk the Camino when I was staying in the youth hostel in Cahors back in 2006, as a 'tourist' exploring bits and pieces of France. In the dorm room I was in, there was a lovely Frenchwoman who had started her pilgrimage in Le Puy who had been walking alone for three weeks. She radiated a deep, simple sense of joy, and when she spoke of walking the Camino this joy just shone out of her. There was an Englishwoman in the same room, and she was commenting to me afterwards that all that sounded far too dangerous for a woman alone- but somewhere inside me, a little bit of inspiration had taken hold, and I was already thinking.... hmmmmm, I might like to do that. The feeling became even stronger the next day when I accidentally stumbled upon the Chemin out of Cahors, climbing a cliff above the river where the view was superb, and wandering along beside fields filled with red poppies amongst all the other lush green growth. I knew real joy on that little walk, and my inkling to walk grew deeper...

I would have to say though that when I started walking the Chemin from Le Puy just under two years later, there was some joy and silence, but there was also a lot of very noisy talking to God on my part. I had many many things to say to God, about being orphaned, and how hard that was, and how did he expect me to believe when he didn't exactly help me then... Plus I found I was thinking back over my life, and remembered people I had neglected or had issues with. The first part of my walk from Le Puy was actually quite 'solitary' in many ways as well. (I spoke some French, but it was quite rusty, and I spent a lot of time 'alone'.) I had plenty of time 'alone' as I walked to yell at God, and remember some not so positive things about my relationships. And to be honest, I actually feel a bit sorry for those people who walk the CF always in a crowd, who never have that 'alone' time to think and yell at God!

But after about ten days, things changed. I had done all the yelling and thinking I needed to do- and as my feet walked, I knew a new silence within as I walked. There was no longer any need for words. I walked, and knew that 'thankfulness' was key- that my feel might hurt, but I could forget about that, and notice all the good things around me.

And now, having rambled on for too long, I would have to say I agree with Rebekah, though I hadn't really realised it before. I had a sense, particularly strong in certain places, that I was walking where thousands had trodden before. Those little medieval bridges that you walk over somewhere after Cirauqui are to my mind some of the most sacred places on the Camino. Walking over them I was aware of the stream of pilgrims, hundreds of years long, that had walked there before me, all heading for Santiago. And on the top of O'Cebreiro the holiness and the weight of past pilgrims was almost palpable. I have read something recently about 'thin places' where 'the distance between heaven and earth collapses and we're able to catch glimpses of the divine.' For me, O'Cebreiro was a 'thin place'.
Margaret

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
pilgrim
" I knew a new silence within as I walked. There was no longer any need for words. I walked, and knew that 'thankfulness' was key- that my feel might hurt, but I could forget about that, and notice all the good things around me."

And now, having rambled on for too long, I would have to say I agree with Rebekah, though I hadn't really realised it before. I had a sense, particularly strong in certain places, that I was walking where thousands had trodden before. Those little medieval bridges that you walk over somewhere after Cirauqui are to my mind some of the most sacred places on the Camino. Walking over them I was aware of the stream of pilgrims, hundreds of years long, that had walked there before me, all heading for Santiago. And on the top of O'Cebreiro the holiness and the weight of past pilgrims was almost palpable. I have read something recently about 'thin places' where 'the distance between heaven and earth collapses and we're able to catch glimpses of the divine.' For me, O'Cebreiro was a 'thin place'.
Margaret
Thank you Margaret such wonderful descriptions throughout your post on your thoughts ,what you saw ,and what you sensed. That was it the gratitude we both felt was the key and on the top of O'Cebreiro the holiness was in the air you breathed. I went up to the top of the hill and looked around 360 degrees it was amazing . The Church run by the Franciscan monks with The Cross of Christ casting its shadow on the wall, "yes we're able to catch glimpses of the divine. "
We were blessed Margaret, all of us.

Prayer, imo, is a two way conversation. You have to be able to listen. Our normal daily lives do not usually provide the the environment to do this. I believe God is within us all. When we have a conversation with ourselves, we are also talking to god.

The Camino provides a quiet, beautiful environment where we can be alone with our thoughts. A peaceful place, without everyday distractions, where one can take an introspective view and also listen.

Ultreya,
Joe

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
pilgrimb, your post has had me thinking and remembering here. I was actually 'inspired' to walk the Camino when I was staying in the youth hostel in Cahors back in 2006, as a 'tourist' exploring bits and pieces of France. In the dorm room I was in, there was a lovely Frenchwoman who had started her pilgrimage in Le Puy who had been walking alone for three weeks. She radiated a deep, simple sense of joy, and when she spoke of walking the Camino this joy just shone out of her. There was an Englishwoman in the same room, and she was commenting to me afterwards that all that sounded far too dangerous for a woman alone- but somewhere inside me, a little bit of inspiration had taken hold, and I was already thinking.... hmmmmm, I might like to do that. The feeling became even stronger the next day when I accidentally stumbled upon the Chemin out of Cahors, climbing a cliff above the river where the view was superb, and wandering along beside fields filled with red poppies amongst all the other lush green growth. I knew real joy on that little walk, and my inkling to walk grew deeper...

I would have to say though that when I started walking the Chemin from Le Puy just under two years later, there was some joy and silence, but there was also a lot of very noisy talking to God on my part. I had many many things to say to God, about being orphaned, and how hard that was, and how did he expect me to believe when he didn't exactly help me then... Plus I found I was thinking back over my life, and remembered people I had neglected or had issues with. The first part of my walk from Le Puy was actually quite 'solitary' in many ways as well. (I spoke some French, but it was quite rusty, and I spent a lot of time 'alone'.) I had plenty of time 'alone' as I walked to yell at God, and remember some not so positive things about my relationships. And to be honest, I actually feel a bit sorry for those people who walk the CF always in a crowd, who never have that 'alone' time to think and yell at God!

But after about ten days, things changed. I had done all the yelling and thinking I needed to do- and as my feet walked, I knew a new silence within as I walked. There was no longer any need for words. I walked, and knew that 'thankfulness' was key- that my feel might hurt, but I could forget about that, and notice all the good things around me.

Margaret
I hope to experience such a place...

Such beautifully written words. Thank you.

One persons prayer is another's meditation. The rhythm of walking with simple achievable goals vaguely in mind; contemplating the detail of the ever changing environment, can bring peace.

Can't help but notice religion all over this thread, so, posters, do keep an eye on your Violation Points, it would be a shame to see you banned ....

Last edited:

Hello Pilgrim B,
What a lot of interest in this topic you have posted! Yes I recognise all of these experiences including the joy and love. This is life as it really is. "Normal" life is false in many respects, especially in that love and joy are not a "natural" part of it.

I have learned about prayer on the Camino and feeling completely united with nature. One powerful experience was on the Camino Sanabres when I felt merged, without distinction with the trees, the bushes, the water, the birds, the air.......everything.
My blog is in progress on the theme of Prayer and pilgrimage, some posts are here: http://www.the-raft-of-corks.com/blog/category/the-raft-of-corks/pilgrimage-and-prayer/

If you, or anyone, wants to add a post, please let me know.

Thanks for this post.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What a lovely answer. So is this
Margaret
Thank you to both of you, and to pilgrim b too. HH

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What a lovely answer. So is this
Thank you to both of you, and to pilgrim b too. HH
Thank you too thehappyhermit, and great to see your very first message today on the forum. Welcome !!!
Buen Camino!

Last edited:
As you may know @pilgrim b legend has it that the Holy Grail is to be found in the church at O Cerbeiro.

Buen Camino!
No I didn't know about that legend Mendiwalker you learn new things on this forum every day!
Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes! I definitely find that prayer without words comes when walking a pilgrimage. Here's an article I wrote about the experience for the Sisters of the love of God:

http://pilgrimpace.wordpress.com/2011/02/28/the-walking-becomes-the-praying-2/

'The Walking Becomes the Praying' is a phrase borrowed from Alan Ecclestone and Charles Peguy.

There is so much richness in pondering all this, isn't there? Thanks for the prompt to reflect on it again

Andy

Yes! I definitely find that prayer without words comes when walking a pilgrimage. Here's an article I wrote about the experience for the Sisters of the love of God:

http://pilgrimpace.wordpress.com/2011/02/28/the-walking-becomes-the-praying-2/

'The Walking Becomes the Praying' is a phrase borrowed from Alan Ecclestone and Charles Peguy.

There is so much richness in pondering all this, isn't there? Thanks for the prompt to reflect on it again

Andy

A wonderful powerful essay which I read with great joy thank you Andy.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks! and Buen Camino to you!
The next for me will be a short Camino and Retreat at the beginning of February

Andy

Thanks! and Buen Camino to you!
The next for me will be a short Camino and Retreat at the beginning of February

Andy
I loved this blog post. How true it is about walking becoming prayer and how important that it helps us into prayer without words, in love.

I have only just found this thread. So much here that I feel too. Pilgrimage - a walking Retreat - probably why we like the quiet routes, although the next one will be more like pioneering to start with. :) Plenty of time for quiet reflection and prayer.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One persons prayer is another's meditation. The rhythm of walking with simple achievable goals vaguely in mind; contemplating the detail of the ever changing environment, can bring peace.

Can't help but notice religion all over this thread, so, posters, do keep an eye on your Violation Points, it would be a shame to see you banned ....

The camino de Santiago is a religious pilgrimage. Anyone who is offended by that is in violation of reality, IMHO. I think the moderators know that, and they know this kind of respectful and enlightening thread is part of why this forum exists.

Rebekah's posts are such a joy to read, insightful,inspiring and succinct.
soch

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Returning home after the Camino, the desire to continue that "every day" experience of walking close to nature, people, and to God became a pressing issue.
This has led me into looking for similar kinds of prayer without words, even for the days when walking wasn't an option. Sometimes it is called Centre Down Prayer. I find this helps me to remain living in the present moment and pilgrim aware .
Does anyone else have advice on this post Camino pilgrim prayer without words?

Last edited:
There's a lot of stuff around about praying without words. If you wanted to pm your phone number I would be happy to talk it through a bit

Andy

Yes, definitely.....I had the same feelings myself many times as I walked....smiles

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I said and will continue to say prayers with or without words on my caminos. I am always forever thankful when i get to the next pueblo or going up a hard to walk hill. If the church is open, i will go in to say a prayer , counting my blessing and thank god for making it possible for me to come so far. I also say a prayer when i start my walk everyday.

Buen camino to all and god bless. Happy christmas to all.

100%. Both of my Camino's were "prayer walks" and I'm guessing I prayed with words less than 5% of the time. My motto is "Every step a prayer". When I was praying for a specific person I often would simply breathe their name each time my left foot hit the ground. There is a as saying that talks about Pilgrims "praying with their feet".

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back