• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pre payment cards

Time of past OR future Camino
Cp
Hi Everyone
We are getting ready for our Camino and was looking at pre payment cards that one loads with money and use along the way at business's and ATMs
usually when travelling I take a mixture of a few days worth of cash and rely on my bank card to draw money out as needed but thought I'd maybe look into the cards to save on transaction fees
I was wondering if anyone had any feedback as to how useful ( or otherwise!) they were....I would hate to be stuck on the Camino with a card full of money I couldn't access..cheers for any thoughts

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I use Revolut for travel and now at home as well, you pre-load it and you can top up using an app. I liked being able to have multiple cards (spares frozen) with me so that if a card was swallowed by an ATM it wasn't the end of the world. There's no ATM fees and currency conversion is fee-free.

Hi Everyone
We are getting ready for our Camino and was looking at pre payment cards that one loads with money and use along the way at business's and ATMs
usually when travelling I take a mixture of a few days worth of cash and rely on my bank card to draw money out as needed but thought I'd maybe look into the cards to save on transaction fees
I was wondering if anyone had any feedback as to how useful ( or otherwise!) they were....I would hate to be stuck on the Camino with a card full of money I couldn't access..cheers for any thoughts
There’s a catch to every financial product and with pre-paid cards it’s usually the exchange rate.

There are cards (in the Uk they include ‘creation’ and ‘Jaja’, which before 20 year old marketeers were in charge used to be ‘the post office’) which refund foreign transaction charges and offer fair fx rates.

In the US ‘Charles Schwab’ is often recommended, although I have no personal experience.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Everyone
My experience with pre-paid cards is that they work out more expensive, but some may be better than others.

There’s a catch to every financial product and with pre-paid cards it’s usually the exchange rate.

There are cards (in the Uk they include ‘creation’ and ‘Jaja’, which before 20 year old marketeers were in charge used to be ‘the post office’) which refund foreign transaction charges and offer fair fx rates.

In the US ‘Charles Schwab’ is often recommended, although I have no personal experience.
I am an American citizen and I have a Schwab account. I call my broker and have cash available in my account. He never has to do that as there is always some money in a money market account. I pay no fees whatsoever and my card has never been rejected by any cash machine since I started using it 4 caminos ago. I have a backup ATM card from my bank if I need it as well as a credit card. I try to pay cash everywhere which is not too difficult for me as I am on a budget and stay almost entirely in municipals, donativos and some private albergues and cook and shop almost every day.
Works great and saves me alot of stress. On my first few caminos I would slide my card in and sometimes be shocked when the machine tells me that my charge. I have read as much as 8-10 Euros. Of course I cancelled my transaction. Now I don't have to worry as everything is reimbursed to me.
You do not have to be an American citizen or live in the United States to open an account with Schwab and take advantage of their services.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Everyone
On the Camino currently. You will need a mix of cash and card. Not every village has a cash point. Smaller notes €10/€20 are better than large denominations. In the smaller towns, supermarkets and Albergues cash can be the only unit of payment accepted. Don’t assume the card is king - it has a transaction cost charged to the seller which is key for a marginal business.

Make sure that the prepaid card works internationally. I had friends gift me a $500 card for my first Camino. It did not work outside of the US.

You do not have to be an American citizen or live in the United States to open an account with Schwab and take advantage of their services.
Not being an American citizen, or living there, I did apply for a Schwab A/C several years ago.
I was informed then that they were only for US citizens.
If possible, I'd appreciate a link to investigate again.
TIA
Regards Gerard

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not being an American citizen, or living there, I did apply for a Schwab A/C several years ago.
I was informed then that they were only for US citizens.
If possible, I'd appreciate a link to investigate again.
TIA
Regards Gerard
You can open an account if you are overseas. I checked and you are correct that in order to get a Schwab debit card you must be a US Citizen or US Resident Alien. Although I live in Mexico I remembered that I use my daughter's address as my address for Schwab as well as my other US banking and credit card accounts. Sorry for my mistake.

Just be sure to carefully read all fine print. Some of the preloadable cards charge a fee for every interaction including adding money, checking balance, purchase and others. Those fees add up quickly.

Hi Everyone We are getting ready for our Camino and was looking at pre payment cards that one loads with money and use along the way at business's and ATMs usually when travelling I take a mixture of a few days worth of cash and rely on my bank card to draw money out as needed but thought I'd maybe look into the cards to save on transaction fees I was wondering if anyone had any feedback as to how useful ( or otherwise!) they were....I would hate to be stuck on the Camino with a card full of money I couldn't access..cheers for any thoughts
Just be sure to carefully read all fine print. Some of the preloadable cards charge a fee for every interaction including adding money, checking balance, purchase and others. Those fees add up quickly.
Agree. But assuming UK resident why wouldn’t you just get a regular account with a bank that offers free ATM and transactions within Europe?

Am I missing something?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back