• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pre-registering for combination Camino Compostela

Scraig

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi All, need advice, so my husband and I started our Camino on the France route in April of this year and after 350km we had to return home to recover an injured leg. One week ago today we are back to finish our way to Santiago but we are finishing on the Portugal Coastal Route.
My question is how will I pre-register for our Compostela when it ask where we started. We registered in the Pilgrim office in SJPP but when we started on Porto we just got our credentials without registering.
Thanks in advance for your advise.
Mike n Susan

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is no registration process for any Camino, other than the Bureau Pelerin in St Jean pd P who collect information for statistical purposes.

Your Compostela will be awarded for completing the final 100km into Santiago on whatever route you walk. You can pre-register with the Santiago Pilgrim's Office to expedite the process of claiming a Compostella. You can nominate Porto as your starting point. Your earlier adventures on the Camino Frances are not relevant to that process.

Bom Caminho

There is no registration process for any Camino, other than the Bureau Pelerin in St Jean pd P who collect information for statistical purposes.

Your Compostela will be awarded for completing the final 100km into Santiago on whatever route you walk. You can pre-register with the Santiago Pilgrim's Office to expedite the process of claiming a Compostella. You can nominate Porto as your starting point. Your earlier adventures on the Camino Frances are not relevant to that process.

Bom Caminho
I think some of the confusion may be on these newer Credentials where it says "register" up top.
Even though it's for the Compostela, it's a little confusing to those who have never walked before.
I, myself, am confused about this.
Do you scan it and they give you an appointment or ???

Also, when I go to SJPP, I "register" my Camino in the Pilgrim Office.

By the way, this Credential was found yesterday and there's no owner's info on it.
Cool stamp though. I wonder where they got it?

Attachments

• 378120414_815387020069402_6134194951029134939_n.jpg
    378120414_815387020069402_6134194951029134939_n.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 31
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think some of the confusion may be on these newer Credentials where it says "register" up top.
Even though it's for the Compostela, it's a little confusing to those who have never walked before.

By the way, this Credential was found yesterday and there's no owner's info on it.
You scan the QR code on the credencial (or go direct to the website), select your preferred language and fill in the basic information including an email address.

Website: https://oficinadelperegrino.com/registro-individual/

In reply you’ll get a confirmation email with another QR code which you scan on arrival at the reception in Santiago. You will then be allocated a place in the queue or - if you’re lucky - be waved straight in.

The translation (in English, at least), is a bit hit and miss. Even if you’re a solo peregrin@ you ‘create a group’. If I figured it out, anyone can.

The compostella will be for your walk on the Portuguese. Although it is nice you walked the 350 km on the CF, you did not walk the last 100 km.

Edit: if you used a different credential for your 350 km on the CF, you would go back to where you stopped at some point in the future and finish that Camino by starting where you stopped before. Ultimately though, the pilgrim office volunteers will be looking to see you finished the last 100 km of that route for a compostella. Remember to get 2 stamps per day in the last 100 km.

You scan the QR code on the credencial (or go direct to the website), select your preferred language and fill in the basic information including an email address.

Website: https://oficinadelperegrino.com/registro-individual/

In reply you’ll get a confirmation email with another QR code which you scan on arrival at the reception in Santiago. You will then be allocated a place in the queue or - if you’re lucky - be waved straight in.

The translation (in English, at least), is a bit hit and miss. Even if you’re a solo peregrin@ you ‘create a group’. If I figured it out, anyone can.
So you do this AFTER you arrive in Santiago?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It can be done before that, or at least that is my experience from earlier this year. I did it a couple of days out, but there wasn't any limit imposed on how early or late it could be done.
Yes; anytime. It just holds your details against the QR code you get sent until you turn up at the office. It only takes a couple of minutes to fill in the data.

In the case of combination Caminos, where you start on one route but end on another, it is interesting to note that only seven (IIRC) Caminos actually terminate at Santiago de Compostela. All of the other, derivative Camino routes, feed into one of these seven routes to finish at Santiago.

Thus, and I think this is how the database is set up, if you started on the Aragones, then joined the Camino Frances at Puenta la Reina, you should indicate that you are arriving off the Camino Frances. When you get the chance to fill in your starting point, you should be able to indicate Somport, Jaca, or wherever on the Aragones you actually started. I believe that this holds true for most all the Camino routes.

The only exception that I am aware of is the Via de la Plata, even though you either join the Frances at Astorga ,or cut over on the Sanabres earlier. The advance online registration allows you to state "Via de la Plata," and then to choose the starting place.

I could be wrong. I last worked at the Pilgrim Office in 2022. A serious family illness precluded my participation this year.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

That looks a little like the special stamp my husband and I waited for one morning at a little kiosk. Either Portomarin or Palas du Rei

Bom Caminho
Thanks for your help.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.