• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Prepaid Credit Cards?

KHANtr

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for summer of 2016
Hey fellow pilgrims.
I have just arrived to BCN yesterday and i was hoping to get one of correos prepaid card not wanting to hustle the extra charges from my own bank. But as of today u found out that in order to get a prepaid card from the post office you gotta be a citizen of EU member countries or should be able to supply a domestic adress in Spain. Unfortunately i am not and now i am stuck without options and i would hate to carry too much money with me all along the way.
Now my question is if is there any other prepaid card suppliers to tourists or should I consider buying travel cheques? I know Caxia bank has such a program but I don't know if they have the same rules with correos.
Any advice is a good advice. Thanks in advance

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think these rules are set up to try to avoid money laundering... They need to know who you are with address and all. I would guess you will find the same with La Caixa (but I am not sure). Not sure what other alternatives you would have... travelers checks are not much used in Spain anymore so you might find the fees high, but it might be worth looking into.

Good luck! ..and Buen camino!
Ivar

How about EØS members, Ivar?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
not wanting to hustle the extra charges from my own bank.
My bank charges $5 per withdrawal. On a 5 week trip, with weekly withdrawals of about 400 Euros each time, that will cost me only $25. For me, that is a reasonable cost for the convenience.

Yes, it is possible to lose some or all of the 400 Euros cash I carry after each withdrawal. That's why I have most of it in a very secure spot and only one day's cash more accessible and vulnerable to loss. I am curious if the pre-paid card gets lost, have you lost the entire value remaining, which would be considerably higher?

Hey fellow pilgrims.
I have just arrived to BCN yesterday and i was hoping to get one of correos prepaid card not wanting to hustle the extra charges from my own bank. But as of today u found out that in order to get a prepaid card from the post office you gotta be a citizen of EU member countries or should be able to supply a domestic adress in Spain. Unfortunately i am not and now i am stuck without options and i would hate to carry too much money with me all along the way.
Now my question is if is there any other prepaid card suppliers to tourists or should I consider buying travel cheques? I know Caxia bank has such a program but I don't know if they have the same rules with correos.
Any advice is a good advice. Thanks in advance
KHANtr, I think you will have trouble finding a place to change travel cheques. If you do bring them, takes cheques of high value since you will probably pay the same fee either high or low.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I just reconciled myself to carrying at least a week's worth of cash. Always kept most of it securely wrapped with my passport, which I guard resolutely and am never without. I never thought about using a card except for an occasional hotel break and my weekly withdrawal. On the Camino cash is king.

Yes, cash is king. I just used the ATM to get cash with my debit card - routinely took out 250-300 euro per transaction, which lasts quite a while. I kept the cash in my wallet, which was always on me, so I wasn't worried about theft. My bank charges a nominal fee for foreign transactions, which is fine - doesn't add up to much if you aren't taking small amounts out of the ATM. Chances are, the bank fees associated with using your debit card at the ATM are less than with a prepaid card anyway.

I use a combination of Debit Card - which is loaded with Euros (or any other currency I choose); I also have my home bank MC Debit & Credit cards as back ups. I think the fees are around $3 to $5 depending upon whether I use a major bank ATM or a private ATM.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For an address is Spain I use the street address of the hotel of my final night's stay in Madrid, before flying home (this is one I always pre-book). I used this without problem to get a prepaid telephone SIM card. It might also work for other things.
But I agree that cash is king on the camino so I withdraw money every few days from ATM by using a travel money card from home, preloaded with Euros, or my ordinary bank debit card.

travelers checks are not much used in Spain anymore
I could not even find a bank that would cash them when I last tried several years ago. Go with an ATM if you can. There is more than one network, so a rejection at one bank may not mean rejection at another.

Hi, in preparation for my Camino last year (remember I was in Portugal/Spain for 3 months), I got a Marriott Awards Visa Credit Card. At the time (not sure now) it was the only Canadian Credit Card option without transaction charges. I prepaid the card. I also carried a larger amount of Euros left over from my last Camino. Whenever possible, I used the credit card to pay and kept the cash when there was no other option. I carried a second credit card, just in case.

Whenever I did use my credit card I was careful to be charged in Euros... this way you are charged the rate of the exchange, not an arbitrary exchange rate used by the vendor.

Also, my advise is, to contact any of the credit card companies in advance to let them know you are travelling out of country. I forgot in 2012 with one and they shut me down at a time I needed to purchase airline tickets. Had to call them to unlock.

It all worked out beautifully and will do that again whenever I travel out of country.

Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This is definitely something that should be sorted out before traveling. I use a credit card with no foreign transaction fees, and I have set up a Charles Schwab checking account that refunds me all ATM fees anywhere in the world. I use this account exclusively for travel, so that if that card is lost or stolen it can't be used to access my primary accounts.

While a credit card will be useful in the big cities, it will not be in the small villages and towns where cash is king. And do not wait until you are out of money to go to an ATM. I remember one instance on a Sunday where all the ATM'S were empty in a small city.

Most read last week in this forum

Or do you prefer Cromwell's attitude? Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry. I am starting to get tired of the attitude that it isn't necessary to take reasonable care and thought...
Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
I struggle with social anxiety and I was wandering if anybody with the same issue had a positive experience on the Camino walking alone. I saw lots of posts and videos people talking about forming...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Hello, I have reserved a night in an Albergue and the confirmation says Fecha de entrada: 2024-06-05. In the UK we would write this as 05-06-2024, is that what this means, 5th June 2024, I am...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.