• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Preparing for the Camino

gelston

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 May
This is my intro to the group. My name is Gloria and I live in the western US. I am 81 yrs old and this is my first Camino. My daughter and I will begin the Portuguese Walk (I not the coastal) in Tui on May 1st. Forgive me but I will have my baggage transferred between points. I am a little nervous, hoping that the trail will be well marked..would hate to get lost. I am armed with many maps and have been conditioning myself on my local trails.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome to the forum! Lots of people have their bags transported, so there is absolutely no need to ask for forgiveness! Do be careful, however, and make sure that whatever day pack you carry is still carefully selected for fit and comfort. After all, it might have 5 pounds in it - water, snack, extra shirt or raincoat. Even that weight can get uncomfortable on a long walk if you are not used to it. I would definitely recommend that it have a chest strap, and maybe even a hip belt as well. It would be good to use it regularly during your training walks at home.

You are very unlikely to get seriously lost, so put aside those fears. I'm sure you and your daughter will have a great time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Quit asking forgiveness for transporting your bags. Nearly as many transport as carry. Enjoy your Camino. My first Camino was on the Portuguese, it remains like the memory of a first love.

When do you get to Santiago?

Bom Caminho

Hi Gloria, welcome to the Forum! You picked the right camino for your first camino, the Portuguese Camino is beautiful.
All the best to you and your daughter.
Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yay for you. Wise choice to have your bags transported so that you can thoroughly enjoy the walking. Buen camino to you and your daughter.

Dear Gloria, I am so glad you are going to do this! I'll be walking the Portuguese route with my daughter in June. We walked our very first Camino last summer (the French route) and it was definitely one of the best vacations ever and I felt so very privileged to walk with my daughter. Buen Camino and peace and joy while you are preparing for it!

Welcome, Gloria!
It's very common to be nervous before the walk, but once you're walking on your first day you'll feel more relaxed. Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino!
Faith

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Gloria,
Everybody is nervous for the unknow/ new things, so quit normal ;)
The preparation/training is already a part of your Camino:)
Wish you and your daughter all the best.
Buen camino or better Bom caminho!

Gloria, your post brought tears to my eyes. I want to be you when I am 81!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome Gloria! Use transportation for your bags or yourself, it's your journey! I only wish my mom and I were closer in age ( she's 92) and could have walked this road together. Enjoy your time with your daughter! Bon Caminho!

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back