• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

post Camino walk...any advice?

AshtabulaJed

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2024--Frances
Greetings to all.
I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela. Assuming that it will take me, walking at my own pace, no longer than six weeks, that will leave me approximately two weeks before I need to be in Madrid on October 24 to fly to London to meet up with friends. Any advice on which route to take once I have reached Santiago de Compostela? I could certainly continue on to Fisterre or Muxia, but am wondering if trying to walk the Portuguese route would be more worth my time. Again, this will be mid October. Any advice? Thanks in advance. Jed

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would just play it by ear at this stage. There are a lot of variables here, including whether or not you even want to walk more, whether you stay healthy, exactly how long you have left depending on your pace on the Francés, etc. My advice would be to focus on your first pilgrimage for now and then see how you feel and/or what inspires you after that.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I had planned to walk to Finisterre and Muxia after my Camino from SJPdP, and then decided a couple of days piror to SdC that I needed to stop walking in Sanitago. I took the bus and spend a couple of nights each in Muxia and Finisterre. I got sunstroke in Finisterre and spent most of my time napping in my hotel room which was such a luxury. Then I flew to Bilbao for a few days and then to Toledo, Madrid, Seville, Cordoba, Granada and Barcelona. lol

My point is, you may find that you do not want to walk for another 2 weeks, that you might want to relax a bit, see a few things, tour museums, go to a beach, or spend a few days wandering from cafe to cafe to cafe.

I would definitely map out the logistics of doing the Portuguese route, which path you might take, what your stages would be etc. And also look at the idea of a holiday. And then wait until you are near Santiago to see how you and your body feels about it all.

Buen Camino!

Hey Nick,
Bom Dia, you beat me to the advice columns once again. I hope you are enjoying life in Rome, as much as I am hating life back in Florida?

Hey Jed, First, I would certainly encourage you to walk on from SdC to Finisterre and Muxia. Reaching the “end of the world” will be a second great culmination to your CF (the first being your arrival in Santiago). Second, if you still have the legs and enthusiasm for more walking, I’d head to either Tui or Vigo to walk the Spanish portion of the CP and include the Variante Espiritual. Third, if you still have a few days before flying to London and if you don’t know Madrid, go there early. In addition to all that you can do in the capital there are some wonderful day trips by train just an hour or so away. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It's hard not to plan it all out into some kind of package. It is fine to have a plan, but don't lock yourself in with prepaid flights and reservations if at all possible. Your plans will likely morph and change as you go along.

Maybe you'll hate it and head for a beach vacation in the first few days. Maybe you'll love it and want to do other routes at the end. Maybe you'll get sick or injured and need to lay up a bit or even go home. If you can, take each day as a gift to unwrap and experience. There will be time when you finish (no matter where that is) to think about another Camino or not.

I always planned for a longer walk -just in case- and ended up a few times with a week to ‘play with’ after arriving in SdC. Once I walked to Fisterra and Muxia, another time I did the Camino Ingles, another time the Camino portugues from Tui. And another time, changed my ticket and went home early as I had been bitten by bedbugs!
Play it by ear. See what happens and how you feel. 😉

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My husband has volunteered at Pueblo Ingles as an English speaker on the spur of the moment (stopped at Ponferada on one Camino to do this). We've also gone to Spanish school a few times. There is a nice one in Santiago called Ira Flavia. He's also gone to one in Madrid.

Greetings to all.
I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela. Assuming that it will take me, walking at my own pace, no longer than six weeks, that will leave me approximately two weeks before I need to be in Madrid on October 24 to fly to London to meet up with friends. Any advice on which route to take once I have reached Santiago de Compostela? I could certainly continue on to Fisterre or Muxia, but am wondering if trying to walk the Portuguese route would be more worth my time. Again, this will be mid October. Any advice? Thanks in advance. Jed
It will depend on how you are feeling and how much of the time you want to spend walking.

The Portuguese from Porto is a lovely route which I walked in October a few years ago and can be comfortably done in two weeks. Alternatively, you could continue on to Finisterre and Muxía in 4-6 days and then, if you want, do the Inglés. If you are feeling strong after your Camino Francés, you could also tackle the Primitivo, although personally I would save it until you have an extra week so you can combine it with the San Salvador.

Or maybe you will want to spend the couple of weeks before your flight from Madrid seeing some other parts of Spain. There is more than enough in and around Madrid to fill a couple of weeks of sightseeing (Toledo, Segovia, Ávila, Cuenca, El Escorial, etc.).

Thanks to all of you for your advice. I do want to spend a few days in and around Madrid. Getting to the Prado has been a dream since taking a Spanish Art course in my University days back in 1987. But I still have a week or two to fill. I will play it by ear--or by the condition of my feet and legs.
peace, Jed

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I personally wouldn't choose to walk another Camino after completing the 800k of the Frances, but your vacation itinerary sounds more exhausting than walking another Camino! 😅
It does sound exhausting, lol but I had 5 weeks for my touristing so nothing was too rushed. It was nice getting to see other parts of Spain and I spent a lot of time sitting in cafes with a glass of wine watching people go about their day.

Most read last week in this forum

I'll be volunteering in Santiago July 01- July 15 this year with the Camino Companions who offer services for the English speaking pilgrims, announcements at mass, English Mass at the Pilgrim's...
Hi my name is Bryce (Australian) and I’m doing the Camino Frances starting September 15. My wife is 57 years old and was born without her left thigh bone. She can wear a prosthetic leg for very...
Since 2009 I run a small hotel with bar and vegetarian restaurant on the camino francés. It was a dream come true when we could buy this house and in 2 years we restored it into a hotel with 3...
Hi everyone, I was just listening to Ivar's last video and he mentioned Ed Sheeran. So fyi: a heads up. Ed Sheeran will be doing a concert at Monte de Gozo on July 6th this year. Expect there to...
Hello✨✨✨✨ I ve just finished my thirty-day walk from San Sebastian and it’s a weird feeling I m going through , a mix of sadness and solitude. I kept afar Icts in the past few days to « see » and...
June 16, @Walkwest, Asturias airport

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back