Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo in the wet

ProfPanwors

Time of past OR future Camino
8 August 2023
Hi all, I'm currently on the Norte (santillana del mar) and quite concerned about the weather in the coming weeks. I would love to start the primitivo from Oviedo in a week but I've heard from a few people that it isn't advisable in bad weather.

Does anyone have any advice on what parts of the Camino Primitivo the rain impacts (safety, comfort, views, etc) or any past experience of doing it in bad weather?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, ProfPanwors,

Welcome to the forum! I don’t think there’s much difference in terms of manageability in bad weather between the Norte and the Primitivo. There is one stage on the Primitivo (Hospitales) where you would be ill-advised to walk it alone in really dense fog or thunderstorms, but for the rest of it, I think both caminos are impacted about the same.

I’ve had rain on both the Norte and the Primitivo, and heavy rains make a lot of both routes muddy and slippery. Nothing life-threatening in terms of danger, though.

I would leave the decision till you’re closer and see what things look like. But remember, when the forecast shows rain every day for a week, it certainly doesn’t mean it is going to rain every day for a week!

Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all, I'm currently on the Norte (santillana del mar) and quite concerned about the weather in the coming weeks. I would love to start the primitivo from Oviedo in a week but I've heard from a few people that it isn't advisable in bad weather.

Does anyone have any advice on what parts of the Camino Primitivo the rain impacts (safety, comfort, views, etc) or any past experience of doing it in bad weather?
The cloud, mist and rain can obscure the views! However no real danger but a need to take care on the paths if wet or foggy. I have walked it twice. The first time with rain, cloud and mist -
300.on top of the world.JPG
Three years later it was sunny and bright with cloud coming in after midday -
DSCF2328.JPGDSCF2330.JPG
Some glorious views in the right weather!
Blessings on your Camino!
Terry B

I would leave the decision till you’re closer and see what things look like. But remember, when the forecast shows rain every day for a week, it certainly doesn’t mean it is going to rain every day for a week!
Couldn't agree more with Laurie. I just read a few days ago the accuracy of weather forecasting. The article referenced study done (I think but I could be wrong) from one of the American Government agencies. It said that 1 week forecasts are about 50% accurate. As Laurie said wait until you are close, and just because it forecasts rain, how much and even when can be dicey to say the least. Just like I would not walk out of SJPP when it is in the middle of a rainstorm that surely will not clear up for a long time, if the weather is bad the day you are in Hospitales, do not venture further that day.

Hi Profpanwors

The Primitivo is the one route where I was caught-out by sudden and bad weather. This was going over Hospitales after sunny and clear stages beforehand. The freezing wind and rain hit very quickly and hard. It is the only time I have been concerned on a camino route but as we were half-way it was sensible to continue. I was not alone and we helped one another and others to get over and make it off the tops.
On the descent, when reaching the road, there were local people waiting for everyone and checking we were all okay and counting us down - it was so good to see them and know they were there for everyone. One of those very special moments with 'Camino Angels'.
If you walk the Primitivo and Hospitales always:
  • Be prepared (appropriate bad weather / storm equipment)
  • Let others know you are taking this route (previous accommodation and next stop)
  • Check weather forecasts beforehand and on the day - but perhaps still be aware
It is an awesome route and I hope you have the opportunity to take it. If you can, find a group/other pilgrims to walk with. Buen Camino
Keith

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

My wife and I walked part of the Del Norte (Irun to Villaviciosa) and all of the Primitivo in May-June 2023. We didn't experience a lot of wet weather but the 3-4 days of heavy rain that we encountered made some parts of the Del Norte, that should have been relatively easy, very difficult e.g. from Castro Urdiales to Laredo and Laredo to Noja. We were on our 4th Camino and have walked in wetter and muddier conditions (on the Frances and the Via Podiensis) but never in as slippery conditions. We enjoyed great weather while we were on the Primitivo, but agree with those who have suggested that the Hospitales, and especially the final descent, would be very difficult in wet conditions.

Thanks very much everyone for the awesome advice. I'm very glad to hear that a bit of damp weather won't endanger my primitivo dreams, especially considering how fickle both the clouds and the forecast are at the moment. I'll be sure to give Hospitales the respect it deserves.

An alternative to the Hospitales track if the weather is bad is to take the alternative via Pola de Allende. Signed clearly near Borres. See Gronze etc for more information re accommodation😀

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back