• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Proof of onward travel

rickrun1223

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
Doing the Camino Frances in April. Flying into Madrid from US. I booked one way flight figuring I’d book return once I had a better idea of return. Is this a problem? I’m reading some comments about having to provide return flight info or proof of onward travel.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This comes from an official EU document (it's in the europa.eu domain). Sorry but the document I downloaded is in PDF format and I have difficulty finding the URL of these. Anyway, here's a bit of the
Practical Handbook for Border Guards

EUROPEAN COMMISSION
Brussels, 28.10.2022
C(2022) 7591 final

ANNEX to the Commission Recommendation establishing a common "Practical Handbook for Border Guards (Schengen Handbook)" to be used by Member States' competent authorities when carrying out the border control of persons and replacing Recommendation (C (2019) 7131 final)

3. CHECKS ON THIRD-COUNTRY NATIONALS UPON ENTRY
3.1. The entry conditions to be fulfilled by third-country nationals when entering the territory of a Schengen State are the following:
(a) ...
(b) ...
the justification of the purpose and of the conditions of stay in the Schengen State(s) to be visited, including the possession of sufficient means of subsistence for the duration of the intended stay and for the return to their country of origin (or for transit to a third country into which they are certain to be admitted, for instance because they have a residence permit issued by that country), or the possibility to acquire such means lawfully;
(d) ...
(e) ...

In July 2021, the German border guard (
Frankfurt airport, on the way to Santiago) asked me where I was going, for how long, did I have enough money, and did I have a return ticket. He let me off on that last as I fumbled through my phone.

Their concern is that you have enough money to leave, and that you * will* leave before your 90 day limit.

While many on the boards will tell you, quite rightly, that they were never asked these questions, the fact remains that the border guards are permitted by law to ask for proof that you will not claim asylum in their country.

Basically, have at least a credit card, a rough itinerary, and a planned departure date handy.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Somewhere among the forum's posts a possible problem with not having a return or onward ticket was mentioned.

The airline runs some prechecks on you before you board that may include things like: do you have a passport, is the passport valid for the time at the destination, are you allowed to get to a port of entry without a visa (and, if not, do you have a valid visa). The airline does this because they can be required to send you back home at their expense if you are refused entry at your destination.

While the border guard knows the rules your airline's personnel may not. Possibly the airline might refuse you boarding if they think you need a return or onward ticket.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As a Brit post-Brexit the same rules apply to me. Theoretically I can be asked for evidence of reserved accommodation, enough funds for the duration of my stay and evidence of pre-arranged onward travel out of Spain. So far it has not happened. But it might. Finding a Plan B may be more expensive and difficult for some than others.

So it seems based on the responses that there reaaly is no hard yes or no. It's up to the customs officials. Guess I better go ahead and book a return flight.

So it seems based on the responses that there reaaly is no hard yes or no. It's up to the customs officials. Guess I better go ahead and book a return flight.
Book the most flexible, even cancelable flight that you can. Or, when you get to the Boarding Gate and later Border Control look 'em right in the eye and with a confident smile...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thinking some more about the "get out of the Schengen zone" ticket if you are really worried about not having one upon entry into Spain you can buy one cheaply. I saw that today Ryanair had a ticket for 25€ and change for a Santiago to Dublin flight. Buy one before leaving home.

Once in Santiago worry about changing the date, using it to route your homeward flight though Dublin or getting a refund (or taking the loss).

P. S., Ireland is not in the Schegen zone.

Book the most flexible, even cancelable flight that you can. Or, when you get to the Boarding Gate and later Border Control look 'em right in the eye and with a confident smile...
Or the cheapest onward flight out of Spain? For much of the year you can find flights to the UK from Santiago or Madrid starting around €25. You don't have to use it - just have evidence it is booked!

Another possibility, every bit as likely, is that the airline operating your flight to the Camino does not let you on the plane. They too are responsible for checking returns/visas.

I have been asked on many occasions.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've followed the discussions on this forum about "return ticket or one-way ticket" for a long time. I know the relevant passages in the EU's Schengen Border Code and the EU's Practical Handbook for Border Guards by heart. Well, not by heart but I can find them online in my sleep.

I do not recall a single case on this forum where a future Camino pilgrim had been denied access at an international airport of the Schengen zone because he or she did not have a booked flight out of the zone. Those who had been interviewed by border control staff merely had to answer a few questions and some had to show that they were in possession of a credit card [that a credit card can be regarded as sufficient "proof" is mentioned in the Handbook].

As others had said, the major hurdle could present itself at the boarding gate of your home airport, perhaps when the airline / airport staff is not very experienced or knowledgeable about the specific conditions for international travellers to European countries.

This is from a website of advice from the Danish Foreign Ministry in Australia. The context is slightly different but I think it is relevant for travellers on a trip to the Camino:

[...] please contact the airline and check which further documentation if any is required in order to allow you to board the flight into the Schengen region. If for example you are travelling on a one-way ticket OR if your return flight out of the Schengen region is more than 90 days after your arrival, the airline may ask for documentation of for example enrolment with a Danish educational institution, work contract, adequate funds in your possession to purchase a return flight [...] or documentation that your return ticket is flexible and can be rescheduled for departure within the 90 days. The requirements differ from airline to airline so please make sure to contact the airline that brings you into the Schengen region well in advance of your departure [...].

Yes, there appears to be no right or wrong. If I was OP, I would recommend having a flight maybe on hold or reserved but easily cancellable just in case. But from my experience as an American, it’s unlikely it will be a problem. Last year when I went to Portugal, they barely looked at my passport and when I flew out of Spain, the same.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
By training long before your Camino, you will have a better understanding of your abilities and will be more able to predict with better certainty of your return date.

-Paul

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back