• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Proof of accomodations

Jruder

Time of past OR future Camino
Fall 2024
I noticed a similar thread title last summer but just want to clarify….Is it true that they may ask us for proof of accommodations when we go through customs in Spain? Should we book the first night ahead of time to have that when we enter? What other information should we be prepared to provide other than our passports?
thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have never been asked, but it is their right to ask if you have sufficient funds and lodging.
Tell them that you are a pilgrim and will be walking the Camino.

I would definitely want to have a place booked for my first night when I arrive to Europe regardless.

I noticed a similar thread title last summer but just want to clarify….Is it true that they may ask us for proof of accommodations when we go through customs in Spain? Should we book the first night ahead of time to have that when we enter? What other information should we be prepared to provide other than our passports?
thanks
I didn't get asked in Spain last year when I landed at Madrid but I got asked at Heathrow Airport once when I went to London. I didn't have a room booked so I just had to answer a few additional questions.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Assuming there are no other issues the only concern Customs will have is if you are likely overstay your visa and if you have sufficient funds for your visit. They will probably ask the reason for your visit and may ask where you will stay that night. When you tell them you are there for the Camino you will be sent on your way, possibly with a "Buen Camino". But as trecile has said, it would be a good idea to book somewhere for your first night before you arrive, not so much for Customs but for your own convenience.

Assuming there are no other issues the only concern Customs will have is if you are likely overstay your visa and if you have sufficient funds for your visit.
Just to be a bit pedantic, but Customs doesn't care about if you overstay your visa or have sufficient funds - they are only concerned with what you are bringing into the country. It's Immigration that looks at your visa status, etc.

Just to be a bit pedantic, but Customs doesn't care about if you overstay your visa or have sufficient funds - they are only concerned with what you are bringing into the country. It's Immigration that looks at your visa status, etc.
Yes you are correct. My excuse is that I was thinking of the setup in Australia where Customs did the immigration processing as well as baggage examinations.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have never been asked in Spain, France, Italy, UK ...

I was once asked if my passport was new as there were no stamps. It was new and the immigration man duly stamped it. It has never been stamped since.

Unless you are coming from a country with a history of overstaying or you yourself have had visa issues in the past, it is highly unlikely you will be asked. If so, they will understand your lack of accommodations when you mention the Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes you are correct. My excuse is that I was thinking of the setup in Australia where Customs did the immigration processing as well as baggage examinations.
Not quite. The agency that is responsible is the Australian Border Force. It is in Home Affairs, which amalgamated the previous customs and immigration functions as well as some other critical national services.

Thanks for all of the replies. I think we are going to book the first night once we decide if we are taking a train right away to our starting point or spending the first night in Madrid. Our flight landing Madrid at 2:35 pm (if on time) then we are starting in Pamplona. Is it reasonable to get a train to Pamplona and arrive there not too late or would you recommend staying in Madrid and then taking an early train the next day?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for all of the replies. I think we are going to book the first night once we decide if we are taking a train right away to our starting point or spending the first night in Madrid. Our flight landing Madrid at 2:35 pm (if on time) then we are starting in Pamplona. Is it reasonable to get a train to Pamplona and arrive there not too late or would you recommend staying in Madrid and then taking an early train the next day?
That rather depends if you suffer from jet lag or not. (And of course what you feel is 'not too late'.) Bearing in mind that the trains take between three ( fast train) to four and a half hours. Plus you have to get there from the airport. For example Taxi : 25-45 minutes, depending on traffic.

So if you never suffer jet lag, then check out the train connections. Allowing for possible delays of course.

If you do suffer jet lag, don't have enough experience to judge, or would rather just not have the hassle - spend the night in Madrid. Ditto if you're checking in your bags rather than carrying them on. In the extremely unlikely event that they are delayed, they normally arrive within 24 hours.
Check in to a hotel and take yourself out for a walk, or if preferred go to a swimming pool and do a few lengths, stretch out those muscles after your flight. Some people make the mistake with jet lag of going straight to bed - you are far better off getting some exercise first. A light meal and bed anytime after 20.30/21.00 (not before) to help get you into the rhythm.
Enjoy!

I always stay a night in Madrid and usually at a hotel near the airport or very near the train station. I've been to Madrid manty times and am not tempted to go out and see any sights before resting. I use a CPAP and can't sleep on the plane and don't ever have a direct flight due to where we live so a long travel day where I lose at least one night. I do need to go to sleep for a few hours soon after I arrive and then back to sleep at the usual evening sleep time in Spain. Then I can coherently think and make my way to my Camino destination the following day.

Its matter of personal preference, but do allow at least one night (maybe 2) for your body to adjust a little before you begin walking.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Not quite. The agency that is responsible is the Australian Border Force. It is in Home Affairs, which amalgamated the previous customs and immigration functions as well as some other critical national services.
I know Doug, I was working for them at the time. Prior to this however, when the Customs and Border Protection Service and Immigration were two different agencies, the immigration processing function - passport examination, visa checking and initial questioning if required - was carried out by Customs. If there was an issue that could not be resolved the pax was then referred to an Immigration officer. We would alternate weekly between this and baggage/personal examination.

I know Doug, I was working for them at the time. Prior to this however, when the Customs and Border Protection Service and Immigration were two different agencies, the immigration processing function - passport examination, visa checking and initial questioning if required - was carried out by Customs. If there was an issue that could not be resolved the pax was then referred to an Immigration officer. We would alternate weekly between this and baggage/personal examination.
Thanks for explaining that, @Lindsay53. That is a bit of the history that I would have never known.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back