• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question about the first night after Irun

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Vasco, Meseta, Portugues Coastal
Hi,
I am almost embarrassed to ask this question after 3 caminos and almost 3,500kms of walking but (new Pilgrims should take heart in this. I still get nervous before each Camino) here goes.
I am 64 and know that the route out of Irun is tough but definately doable. I can't wait to start, I will be starting on either September 17 or 18 out of Irun. I have about 42 days to walk. I know my body by now on the Camino and know I want to keep things at about 20k maximum the first week or so. I know shortly after that I will be able to gradually bring it up to go as many as 30k if I have to, but I digress!! I have a big mouth!
Anyway how far is it from Irun to Hospital de Peregrinos de Santa Ana in Pasajes? I live in Mexico now and my daughter is coming later this month with my Wise Pilgrim guidebook so I can't figure out the distance. My Wise Pilgrim app shows it as a donativo. Do they serve a communal dinner or breakfast? If not, any recommendations on (if there is even more than one) cafes if I don't decide to cook in the Albergue? oh yea, two more questions, do they take reservations and how far is it from there to San Sabestian. I guess that is more than one question!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh, I am so glad you asked this! I'm planning for this next year, when I'm 64, and have had exactly these questions...so, thank you. I'll be following!

Hi! It´s 16 km from Irun to Pasajes where there is a nice out door resturant just by the water after a long descent. I just heard one opinion of the albergue in Pasajes and she wasn´t that thrilled. But we all think different about those things. I can give you a tip how I did. I took a taxi from Irun up to Santuario de Guadalope and then walked the beautiful alpinist way via Pasajes to San Sebastian. 21,5 km. Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think the walk to Pasajes, though only 16km was a bit challenging most likely because it was the first day. I'm glad we decided to stay there and not continue on to San Sebastian.

We spent the night in Pasajes but not at the alburgue. When we (three 60ish women) showed up there, a storm was brewing overhead and several pilgrims were gathering at the entrance. The woman in charge wasn't particularly warm and was barking out orders as we came in. When we stepped up to sign in, she told us there were no beds for us and sent us to a very affordable apartment of a friend of hers. There were beds available at the alburgue but I think she sized us up as three older women who 1) could afford the apartment and thus leaving beds open for the younger, less affluent pilgrims and 2) would be more comfortable in an apartment. One young German woman who was so rattled by all the yelling in Spanish followed us out the door and joined us at the apartment for the evening.

There are several small restaurants in this village and though I can't remember where we ate, it was delicious.

I found the walk to San Sebastian to be fairly pleasant. I only recall one big ascent and then the descent down into San Sebastian which had stairs in the final section.

Oh, I am so glad you asked this! I'm planning for this next year, when I'm 64, and have had exactly these questions...so, thank you. I'll be following!
I hope I can remember to post about my first experience and hopefully you’ll see it

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@It56ny, we're walking that stretch early September. We're connecting from the Via Podiensis.
We're slow walkers, and I was concerned that we would arrive at the albergue Santa Ana and not find a bed. So we found a place through Airbnb for peace of mind.
Buen Camino!

We walked it in early spring a few years ago, leaving Irun in the afternoon and arriving at Pasajes in the dark. The albergue was off to the left, in the back of a church, before going right down to the water. It was full by the time we arrived but we had a tent that we pitched out the front. We used the albergue facilities the next morning, and they were fine. But because we were directly in front of the church we heard the church bells ring seemingly every 15 minutes during the night...

Most read last week in this forum

Elevation map shows this is really steep! What’s the best way from downtown Hondarribia up there? Then wish me luck on the Purgatorio—I am a nervous wreck.
My group of six arrives in Irun on May 20 and we're starting our Camino on May 21. Since it's the beginning of the busy season, I'm wondering if we should order trekking poles from Amazon Espana...
On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...
If anyone is in an albergues in or near Santillana del mar on the 1st of May and comes across Nadia from Ottawa would they kindly point her in the direction of this thread. Thanks all.....

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.