• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

RE: Two stamps per day from Sarria to SdC?

irishmancamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2013
Hi there,

Can someone give clarification on this issue?

I just arrived in Sarria this morning and I have spoken to a lot of pilgrims who have said that you need to get 2 stamps per day for your credencial from Sarria into SdC.

My understanding was that that only applied to pilgrims starting from Sarria and not for those, like me, who may have started from St Jean, for example.

Any feedback would be great!

Buen Camino to one and all!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked from SJPdP Apr/May this year. I took stamps from those Albergues I stayed in only - so one stamp per day- obtained my Compostela with no question asked

Hola

I walked from St Jean a couple of years ago to Santiago and did not get 2 stamps past Sarria.
It was not mentioned or a problem when I arrived at the pilgrims office in SdC.

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
May 2012, walked sjpdep to sarria, bus Santiago, no problem getting credential in pilgrims office

While the documentation states this, the "rule" and my general observation is the office seems more relaxed about this requirement especially for pilgrims that have started in places like Saint Jean.

This is not to say they have not stopped and challenged the occasional person.

But I have seen many a bus load of touristico pilgrims, many that clearly bused and not walked their way to Santiago strolling out of the pilgrim office with a Compostela in their hands.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I finished a little over two months ago(started from SJPDP), and had some post Sarria days with only one stamp. No questions were asked about it.

I would say though, that getting a second stamp per day after Sarria is incredibly easy. There were any number of places I stopped for a snack or drink that the stamp was just sitting out there, you didn't even have to ask someone for it.

We started in Leon and got as many cellos as we could get! 2-4 per day. We filled one passport and had to buy another. We got them at any place that would give them to us. It was part of the fun and now I love to look at them all and remember places we ate or stopped. The best one is from the Chocolate Museum in Astorga...
Yum!!!!!

Rambler

Kevin_A said:
I walked from SJPdP Apr/May this year. I took stamps from those Albergues I stayed in only - so one stamp per day- obtained my credencial with no question asked

Exactly the same on my 2011 CF. I've only asked for an albergue stamp each evening.
And I also took my Compostela the second day after arriving in SdC, fresh and clean, with no problems at all.
But wouldn't really mind if the clerk refused to give it to me :lol:

Ultreia!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Inside the cover of my credencial it states:

the pilgrim's office requires anyone starting the camino after Ponferrada to obtain two stamps per day. Those pilgrims who start from other points farther east need only one stamp per day.

My credencial was issued by the Canadian Company of Pilgrims. I do not know if credencials issued by other authorities will contain a similar statement.

You may want to contact the pilgrim office to confirm requirements.
http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/

I walked last fall from SJPdP to Santiago. I obtained one sello per day. I was asked where I started and if I walked the entire distance. I received a compostuela.

I guess only one person would be harmed if you got one in a less than honourable way ...

William Marques said:
Don't judge a book by its cover. On both occasions I have been to the Pilgrim Office I found my hotel first, got cleaned up and had a bath or shower and changed clothes before picking up my compostela.

The touristico pilgrims I saw arrived with clean walking shoes and hiking gear on, carrying their hiking sticks and wearing children sized days packs. They were no different that the group of Italians I met on the via de la plata that were bused to each location and spent the majority of their time collecting stamps from every conceivable place including each albergue ( that they did not actually stay at but were still able to get a stamp).

No need to contact the Pilgrims Office. The website clearly states:

"The Credencial also clearly states that pilgrims should obtain at least two sellos per day. You must ensure that you do this at least in the last 100 kms from the Cathedral of Santiago if you are walking or on horseback and 200 kms if you are travelling by bicycle."

http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/pilgri ... redencial/

Sellos are readily available especially in the last 100 kms. The discipline might be restricting your self to ONLY two per day.

John

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Re: Re: RE: Two stamps per day from Sarria to SdC?

jirit said:
William Marques said:
Don't judge a book by its cover. On both occasions I have been to the Pilgrim Office I found my hotel first, got cleaned up and had a bath or shower and changed clothes before picking up my compostela.

The touristico pilgrims I saw arrived with clean walking shoes and hiking gear on, carrying their hiking sticks and wearing children sized days packs. They were no different that the group of Italians I met on the via de la plata that were bused to each location and spent the majority of their time collecting stamps from every conceivable place including each albergue ( that they did not actually stay at but were still able to get a stamp).

At least they didn't stay in the albergue like I saw quite a few times in 2011. Guy gets out if his car parked in front, gets his pack from the trunk and walks in just behind me. :evil:

Re: Re: RE: Two stamps per day from Sarria to SdC?

CaminoGen said:
jirit said:
At least they didn't stay in the albergue like I saw quite a few times in 2011. Guy gets out if his car parked in front, gets his pack from the trunk and walks in just behind me. :evil:
Was it a private albergue? In that case this is a normal hotel or hostal! And in that case they are free to set their own regulations ant handle them as they like!
Buen Camino
Jochen

Not private...Padres Reparadores in Puente La Reina. Again in the O'Cebreiro municipal albergue

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I walked from Roncesvalles to Santiago this year, arriving mid-June, only got one stamp per day the entire trip, no problems.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.