• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria to SDC Poles/sticks?

Wildhogget

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances completed 28/03/2024
Ok here is a question for the forum, I am performing my first ever Camino and was thinking on this section do I really need my walking poles? is it really required for this last section?
I don't want the route spoilt by researching it all I want to take the experiance as it happens, but putting my poles in the checked baggage just seems a pain in the rear end!

Any advice from you guys would be welcomed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No one can tell you the answer as we do not know your physical condition. Many people walk without poles. Others like myself with osteoarthritis in both knees might find our journey cut short without them. Do you need poles for a country walk at home? Do you have experience of walking a similar distance with a similar load? There are no technically difficult stages after Sarria apart from a couple of hundred metres east of Portomarin which are easily bypassed.

Hello and welcome
There is no "requirement" as @Bradypus said above some people like to walk with them and some without.
If you are looking for a definite "YES" or "NO" answers pertaining to YOU, you will not get them - because we cannot advise directly not knowing you and\or your situation.

Personally I am very much in favour of the poles - they help my balance and take weight off my legs, provide overall stability and keep my posture (I found that it was not hard for me at all to deal with them when "not needed"; i.e. some folks said they are a hindrance when trying to take a photo but I just let them dangle on the wrist straps - for example)

I use poles even on the flattest of the flat surfaces so, yes they are of immense help to me (hence the decision to put them into a checked luggage was a no-brainer and not a pain in the rear)

You say "my poles" so obviously you already own a pair and know for yourself the pros and cons. By all means read through any further comments and make a decision if you want to leave them behind or it indeed will be worth to deal with a pain in the rear end!

The only reasonably encouraging thing I might tell you is that if you do decide to go without and somewhere along the route you will come to conclusion that you do need them - chances are you will be able to obtain either a pair or perhaps some sort of walking stick (you cay buy, you can possibly find some left at albergue, you can simply find a sturdy pole or even make one yourself) Obviously if you do buy - then the decision is whether to check them on the way back home or "abandon" and eat the cost...

Good luck and Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello and welcome
There is no "requirement" as @Bradypus said above some people like to walk with them and some without.
If you are looking for a definite "YES" or "NO" answers pertaining to YOU, you will not get them - because we cannot advise directly not knowing you and\or your situation.

Personally I am very much in favour of the poles - they help my balance and take weight off my legs, provide overall stability and keep my posture (I found that it was not hard for me at all to deal with them when "not needed"; i.e. some folks said they are a hindrance when trying to take a photo but I just let them dangle on the wrist straps - for example)

I use poles even on the flattest of the flat surfaces so, yes they are of immense help to me (hence the decision to put them into a checked luggage was a no-brainer and not a pain in the rear)

You say "my poles" so obviously you already own a pair and know for yourself the pros and cons. By all means read through any further comments and make a decision if you want to leave them behind or it indeed will be worth to deal with a pain in the rear end!

The only reasonably encouraging thing I might tell you is that if you do decide to go without and somewhere along the route you will come to conclusion that you do need them - chances are you will be able to obtain either a pair or perhaps some sort of walking stick (you cay buy, you can possibly find some left at albergue, you can simply find a sturdy pole or even make one yourself) Obviously if you do buy - then the decision is whether to check them on the way back home or "abandon" and eat the cost...

Good luck and Buen Camino!
Yes, I forgot to mention I am pretty fit and have great balance thanks to my love of water sports, and yes I have a set of poles as I do use them when hiking up the local mountains for the decent leg. So I guess I wont need them based on your reply.
I guess they would be dangling around most of the time and moreover being a pain.

Well... they don't have to "dangle around" - that's what the loops on the backpacks are for ...
but if you feel strongly that you wont need them - then thats that.
As I said there are ways to get some later on!
Walk On, Pilgrim!!!!! 🚶‍♂️👍

As I said there are ways to get some later on!
On several occasions I have gone to a China bazaar and bought a couple of wooden broom handles and a pack of rubber ferrules. Loop my spare bootlaces through the hanging loop or hole in the handle. Voila! - a pair of fairly biodegradable walking poles for about €6. The last pair were given to the volunteers at the pilgrim office on the bridge in Logroño to hand on to anyone who looked like they needed them!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm a pole user for a variety of reasons, and wouldn't walk even a day without them, but I don't ever suggest they are essential.

More, if you are going to carry poles, the only sensible thing to do is to use them - every step of the way. Otherwise they will be dead weight for at least some parts of the day and they won't be available to help prevent that fall should you trip or stumble.

I bring mine with me, but I always check baggage in any case. If I didn't, I would probably find a relatively inexpensive pair when I arrived and then dispose of them when I got to SDC.

I'm a pole user for a variety of reasons, and wouldn't walk even a day without them, but I don't ever suggest they are essential.

More, if you are going to carry poles, the only sensible thing to do is to use them - every step of the way. Otherwise they will be dead weight for at least some parts of the day and they won't be available to help prevent that fall should you trip or stumble.

I bring mine with me, but I always check baggage in any case. If I didn't, I would probably find a relatively inexpensive pair when I arrived and then dispose of them when I got to SDC.
What a great answer Dougfitz, common sense in the end of the day, I guess for a first timer you panic a bit and get caught up in everything.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You know you. We know the Camino. If you tell us why you would ever require them, we can tell you if that section has such conditions.
I don't think I really do now to be honest reading all of the above, as mentioned earlier first timer and probably over kill for me. But thanks for the reply

We use them sometimes and sometimes not. I have not used them the last two Caminos, but last year we bought an inexpensive set on arrival for my husband who has had several falls in recent years. Very helpful for him with balance. There are some places where they can be helpful such as going down the hill before Zubiri or coming down Alto del Perdon or into Molinaseca after Cruz de Fero. On my first Camino I sprained my ankle and then got plantar fasciitis in the other foot so they were very useful as supports for me.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I think if OP was attempting to "perform" (as he so colorfully put it) the whoe CF with all the dreaded hills we know about - it most likely would have been a strong and resounding YES (at least from me)
However... Sarria --> SdC, we are talking molehills: a climb Sarria to Ferreiros (which somewhat flattens reasonably early on), a drop to Portomarin, another climb to Ventas de naron and a drop to Palas del Rei... couple of "small" ups and downs in between and the rest of the way
All doable

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think if OP was attempting to "perform" (as he so colorfully put it) the whoe CF with all the dreaded hills we know about - it most likely would have been a strong and resounding YES (at least from me)
However... Sarria --> SdC, we are talking molehills: a climb Sarria to Ferreiros (which somewhat flattens reasonably early on), a drop to Portomarin, another climb to Ventas de naron and a drop to Palas del Rei... couple of "small" ups and downs in between and the rest of the way
All doable

"Ah, so we're equating the trek from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela to conquering molehills, are we? 😁 I suppose in that case, I'll be sure to pack my mole-whacking stick alongside my walking shoes! Just to be clear, though, when you mention the 'small ups and downs,' are we talking about the terrain, or is this a metaphor for the emotional rollercoaster of realizing there's yet another hill around the corner? Either way, I'm ready for the adventure—molehills, mountains, or emotional peaks and valleys. Bring it on!"

have a great day sir 😁

Overall profile only!
I mean (as was mentioned) there are climbs to Roncesvalles, Alto Perdon, Cruze de Ferro and O Cebreiro with descends to Zubiri, post- Alto Perdon, Molinaseca and Triacastella
none of what you will experience will be "that drastic"
so to your question about ups-and-down - yes I am still talking terrain profile

Please take a look here: Profile Maps of all stages click on Yellow/Orange download button upper right and take a look at the last (bottom) set. Sarria is on Map 30. you can see all the profiles for yourself.
I am not suggesting it will be easy (although it very well may) just that you dont have to climb up to the skies. I didn't even include the descend from Monto de Gozo to SdC because IMHO you'll breeze through it on sheer euphoria (as I am sure many of us did)

By All means you absolutely have a great day as well and I sincerely hope that your Camino will be an AWESOME uplifting experience!!!!!

Sarria gear shop!!!
Poles

how to find it

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Walking sticks can be used for all kinds of fun.
My thirteen year old son used his hiking stick to whack dandelion heads off as he walked.

Attachments

• BCA63CEE-EE64-455F-B419-AEFBBFBF74EF.jpeg
    BCA63CEE-EE64-455F-B419-AEFBBFBF74EF.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
Ok here is a question for the forum, I am performing my first ever Camino and was thinking on this section do I really need my walking poles? is it really required for this last section?
I don't want the route spoilt by researching it all I want to take the experiance as it happens, but putting my poles in the checked baggage just seems a pain in the rear end!

Up to you! For me I always hike with them, because if you use them right they set up your whole body for strong, efficient action and have relatively little to do with balance and all those things. But you have to use them right to get the benefit. I have seen some pretty comical things on Caminos with poles and then often those same people claim they are just a bother.

If you are fairly fit, you don't need poles between Sarria and SdC.
They are helpful and convenient, but not needed.

I've walked SJPdP to SdC and last year the CP, both without help of trekking poles.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have walked 5 caminos and never used the poles. However I am in my eighties and I worry that if I have a fall and break my hip it could prove fatal.
To help me with my balance I usually just find a stick to carry if the terrain is rough.

I love poles and I would never hike without them. I entertain myself by spinning them a lot and they help me with keeping my hands up so they don't swell from dangling. Also they are great at distributing my weight and just helping me push myself when I cannot be bothered to use my legs properly.

I found hiking poles to be great. They give stability and don't make you tired. If you're used to walking with them, use them.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, I forgot to mention I am pretty fit and have great balance thanks to my love of water sports, and yes I have a set of poles as I do use them when hiking up the local mountains for the decent leg. So I guess I wont need them based on your reply.
I guess they would be dangling around most of the time and moreover being a pain.
If you change your mind, (you may know this) most backpacks have loops for you to put your pole points into and a loop up higher to strap em down. And a quick Google search, apparently they also sell kits to add this to a pack that doesn't already have it.
I am also debating on trekking poles or not to trekking poles. I am getting on in years now and think my knees will enjoy them on the mountainy bits, but I will likely strap em in the loops for the flats. Since the first part of the Frances is mountains, I will probably want them from the get go.
I just checked TSA and they are definitely not allowed as a carryon. I had heard a rumor that the US was ok with it. Poop. Maybe I will buy some when I get to France? I don't mind checking them going home, but not in the mood to deal with checked bags going there.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.