• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reading up on the white elephant of Compostela - City of Culture of Galicia

S

Satírico

Greetings,

I am curious about something.

Whilst doing a little camino-centred internet browsing lately, I came across an erudite thesis that makes reference to a €400m City of Culture of Galicia venue in Santiago de Compostela; an edifice built during Spain's economic boom and apparently a dismal failure.

I was wondering, does this building still exist? Where exactly is it, or was it? Has anyone made a detour to view the site? What becomes of a giant, lonely, expensive, headache-grey 'white elephant'?

Phil

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, it still exists.

The City of Culture complex in Santiago de Compostela was designed by New York architect Peter Eisenman. Since it's first conception in 1999 the project has passed through a great many philosophical and physical changes. For Eisenman the idea of a museum/archive implied both a container and its content; nearby hills were echoed in the giant curves of his design. Since it is "off the beaten track" many pilgrims/tourists are unaware that the complex does exist.

Read more about it in its current web.

http://www.cidadedacultura.gal/

See also this earlier 2015 Forum thread.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...osition-march-13th-september-13th-2015.31969/

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Greetings,

Whilst doing a little camino-centred internet browsing lately, I came across an erudite thesis that makes reference to a €400m City of Culture of Galicia venue in Santiago de Compostela; an edifice built during Spain's economic boom and apparently a dismal failure.

I was wondering, does this building still exist? Where exactly is it, or was it? Has anyone made a detour to view the site? What becomes of a giant, lonely, expensive, headache-grey 'white elephant'?

Phil

can't miss as you walk in on the french Camino, look kto your left up on the hill just before you hit Rúa San Pedro. more than an edifice, it's a pharaonic complex that includes exhibition venues, Galicia's national library etc.

and yes, when(if) you make it, it will feel unfinished and a bit disturbing. not many buses go up there and it's a long walk

Greetings,

Phil
In spring 2015, there was an exhibit on the Camino and pilgrims located there. My friend saw the advertisement and wanted to see it. Even with the ad to show, no one, including taxi drivers, seemed to know how to get there. The tourist info told us which bus to take, but not the correct bus stop. It took us at least 3 hours to find the bus, and then it broke down! When we finally got there, we were struck by the architecture and massive size - and its emptiness. The exhibit was well done, but we had to watch the time because the bus only came once an hour!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In spring 2015, there was an exhibit on the Camino and pilgrims located there. My friend saw the advertisement and wanted to see it. Even with the ad to show, no one, including taxi drivers, seemed to know how to get there. The tourist info told us which bus to take, but not the correct bus stop. It took us at least 3 hours to find the bus, and then it broke down! When we finally got there, we were struck by the architecture and massive size - and its emptiness. The exhibit was well done, but we had to watch the time because the bus only came once an hour!
@TaijiPilgrim
As far as I can figure out from its website, it is a white elephant, housing only temporary exhibits and only in the summer. There is nothing else planned after this summer's exhibit ends on Sept. 11. As with last year, that will be about two months before I reach Santiago. Guided tours of the complex are given in English and other languages. If you are interested in the architecture or in what you can see of the archives of Galicia, which are housed there, it would be worth the effort to get there. Otherwise, consider whether the current exhibit on the clothing of Galicia interests you and whether you can see it before it packs up for the end of summer on September.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, so my plans have slightly changed after completing the Coastal Portuguese and Finisterre/Muxia caminos on June 13. I now have 2 extra days in Santiago and was wondering where I should head...
Hi my name is Bren I have started a daily AA English speaking meeting At 3Rua da Porta da Pena Casa Anglicana 6-7pm daily. Spread the word
Hello, What time does the office close in Santiago today? The website lists different times in different places.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back