• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations to get me outside of my comfort zone

GOB

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese from Viana do Costello sept 2019
Seeking recommendations for bookable albergues between Roncesvalles and Pamplona approximately 15 20 km apart that will give me an inkling of what albergue “living” is like to see whether or not I can hack it.

Reason : I am a 24 carat introvert who is far more comfortable in his own skin than among crowds. However if nothing else my first camino taught me that I need to get outside my comfort zone hence the need for recommendations.

Things to be aware of,

I snore, I regularly talk in my sleep, I have been known to shout swear and fight in my sleep, and finally on very rare occasions I sit up and throw punches, pillows or anything else that comes to hand all while I am asleep. The more outlandish sleep behaviours have lessened greatly since I retired from work which I attribute to to the removal of work related stress. Will the snoring and sleep talking be tolerated or will someone try to smother me with a pillow 😁

If any of the other sleep behaviours raise their ugly heads I will switch to small hotels and pensions.

This is the start of my planning for next year to begin after Easter on the Frances.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
my first camino taught me that I need to get outside my comfort zone
You don't present a case that makes me want to recommend that you stay in communal albergues.;) There are many ways to get outside your comfort zone and perhaps you should pick another! I don't see what you are trying to achieve, except perhaps to have more social contact with other pilgrims. You can search any guidebook or app, looking for places that offer both dormitory sleeping and private rooms. Gronze.com provides such information, indicating which places take reservations, which ones have only dormitory beds, and which ones also have private rooms. That would put you in a situation where everyone sleeps better, and you could challenge yourself to not eat alone each night.

I snore, I regularly talk in my sleep, I have been known to shout swear and fight in my sleep, and finally on very rare occasions I sit up and throw punches, pillows or anything else that comes to hand all while I am asleep. The more outlandish sleep behaviours have lessened greatly since I retired from work which I attribute to to the removal of work related stress. Will the snoring and sleep talking be tolerated or will someone try to smother me with a pillow 😁
You might be forcing your dorm-mates to be way out of their comfort zones!

I second @C clearly's advice to seek out albergues that have private rooms in addition to dorms.

Perhaps a way to take yourself out of your comfort zone would be to make it a point to invite another pilgrim (or two or three) to join you for dinner every evening. Or anything that you might not be comfortable doing in your everyday life in order to engage with other pilgrims. I don't advise throwing pillows at sleeping pilgrims. 😉

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi GOB!
I stayed in Hotels and private rooms last year for different reasons to you.

Those reasons were being an older guy (68 like you) who needs to pee three or four times a night and the fact I have night blindness (no dark adaption at all) getting to the bathroom in the dark from a top bunk would probably make me a very un popular pilgrim; as everybody is knackered after walking and needs their sleep!
As you appear to have a lot of issues regarding you nocturnal behaviour; ask yourself is it an appropriate attitude to expect other people to tolerate that behaviour in a communal environment ; people are a lot less forgiving when their tired .
I have seen YouTube vids where just snoring alone was enough to send people over the edge.

Posters on here go gaga about rustling backpacks, nightlights and talking in the night to mention a few!

So for my Camino I thought that for the sake of others and my peace of mind ;private rooms were the way to go!
I didn't though go without companionship when i needed it and met a lot of great people and will meet many more next year!

Next May I start the Frances and have booked from SJPP to Estella (it was Pamplona but wanted to stay at Albergue Jakue in Puente la Reina and Hostería de Curtidores in Estella)

I will still stay in private rooms this time as well but in as many Albergues and Hostels i can find on the way and have an even better time than the last one; fingers crossed ! :)
But it's your walk and your decision.
Wish you a great walk.
Buen Camino
Woody

I agree that the attitude that is most considerate and kind to others is what @C clearly, @trecile and @woody66 have suggested.

But consideration and kindness are a two-way street. I think that if the OP does want to sleep in an albergue, for whatever reason, it is incumbent on the others (who may admittedly be terribly annoyed) to accept the fact that the albergues are open to all, with whatever annoyances come your way. I typically don’t sleep in albergues anymore, but if I do, I tell myself ahead of time that there’s no telling what kind of a night I’ll have. And if I don’t want to take that risk, I should avoid the albergue.

Seeking recommendations for bookable albergues between Roncesvalles and Pamplona approximately 15 20 km apart .....

Reason : ..... that I need to get outside my comfort zone hence the need for recommendations.

This is the start of my planning for next year to begin after Easter on the Frances.
Well, snoring or not, if your aim is to get outside your comfort zone just forget about albergue booking and keep walking repeating "Camino provides" mantra :) ... sooner or later you may start to enjoy that sweet&bitter sense of unpredictable fate what expects you before the day ends.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
But consideration and kindness are a two-way street. I think that if the OP does want to sleep in an albergue, for whatever reason, it is incumbent on the others (who may admittedly be terribly annoyed) to accept the fact that the albergues are open to all, with whatever annoyances come your way. I typically don’t sleep in albergues anymore, but if I do, I tell myself ahead of time that there’s no telling what kind of a night I’ll have. And if I don’t want to take that risk, I should avoid the albergue.
Hi peregrina2000!
GOB to his credit did say in his post that if these problems did arise he would switch to private rooms; so i know he is aware of the impact he might have!
He did ask for opinions.

I agree completely that consideration and kindness is a two way street and that Albergue's are open to all!

However if you are aware of a something that will have a significant affect on others; should you then think stuff it i am doing it anyway then there is no consideration!
(obviously if you can only afford an Albergue or that's all that is available then the OP circumstance are different.)

I think that GOB will realise that staying in an Albergue private room has all the benefits of communal living through the day; without having to deal with all the negatives linked to the foibles and bodily functions of the rest of the throng during the night.
I don't think he should avoid staying in Albergue;just get a room.

You can't do what my wife used to frequently do to me a snorer; put her hand in my mouth several times a night (she still has all her fingers) cos giving me a thump didn't work 🤣 !!!!!
Woody

I snore, I regularly talk in my sleep, I have been known to shout swear and fight in my sleep, and finally on very rare occasions I sit up and throw punches, pillows or anything else that comes to hand all while I am asleep. The more outlandish sleep behaviours have lessened greatly since I retired from work which I attribute to to the removal of work related stress. Will the snoring and sleep talking be tolerated or will someone try to smother me with a pillow
Please do not sleep in albergues. In your case it would not be safe. It is not that anyone would want to cause you harm because of what you do but I can see a misguided roommate giving you a nudge to stop your snoring and you waking up throwing punches. I've seen this happen on a group campout with a war veteran suffering from PTSD.

That said, in answer to your question, the parochial albergue in Zabaldika would get you out of your comfort zone. It is small but has one room with just one set of bunk beds (in memory anyway); with luck or entreaties you might get that. There is communal dinner. Later the group meets in the church and, with some leadership from the nuns, discusses their camino goals.

There's two paragraphs to scare you.

Best wishes for your camino no matter how you do it.

Last edited:
I would not worry about the snoring at all, given that nearly everyone who whines about it ends up snoring all night, in my experience.

I did come across one very good-willed young German woman this year, 30s, 40s or something, who attended to my snoring not by any physical assault or anything, but just talking, and not a snorer herself - - though she did close in on the practice, but not beyond some heavy breathing.

But really, snoring is the norm.

As to the other stuff well, hmmm, but I'm not sure how you might succeed in such things in a typical Camino dormitory. Make sure of either bunk beds or a single room instead of any open plan places maybe ?

The Camino is a cure for many ills, and it is far from impossible that the communal arrangements that it provides could help you to overcome yours.

Ultreia and Sus Eia, and so on, that is.

And be trusting.

We silly pilgrims really are not such a bad lot !!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Seeking recommendations for bookable albergues between Roncesvalles and Pamplona approximately 15 20 km apart that will give me an inkling of what albergue “living” is like to see whether or not I can hack it.

Reason : I am a 24 carat introvert who is far more comfortable in his own skin than among crowds. However if nothing else my first camino taught me that I need to get outside my comfort zone hence the need for recommendations.

Things to be aware of,

If any of the other sleep behaviours raise their ugly heads I will switch to small hotels and pensions.

Wishing you all the best. I will happily share a dorm with you but….in my experience the folks who stay in albergues on Camino are far more intolerant than folks who stay in hostels on non camino trips. Even a minor inconvenience triggers them! Probably an age thing and maybe folks who stay in a dorm on Camino don’t stay in a dorm on other travel trips.

Snoring is fine. If you stay in a dorm you have to expect it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not sleep in communal rooms in albergues even if they paid me. (And who would pay me anyway?) I don't know if I snore, I don't know if I talk or walk in my sleep, I simply need to be alone to unwind and recharge. Stepping out of my comfort zone for me means going new places, meeting new people etc all while taking good care of my needs.

That said, I can imagine sleeping in albergues if and when I have found a Camino family that I feel at ease with and we happen to end up at a place. But going full cold turkey like you are considering.... I would advise you to be kind to yourself and connect with others in different ways. Set small goals, take small steps and make sure you sleep well.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Please do not sleep in albergues. In your case it would not be safe. It is not that anyone would want to cause you harm because you what do but I can see a misguided roommate giving you a nudge to stop your snoring and you waking up throwing punches. I've seen this happen on a group campout with a war veteran suffering from PTSD.

That said, in answer to your question, the parochial albergue in Zabaldika would get you out of your comfort zone. It is small but has one room with just one set of bunk beds (in memory anyway); with luck or entreaties you might get that. There is communal dinner. Later the group meets in the church and, with some leadership from the nuns, discusses their camino goals.

There's two paragraphs to scare you.

Best wishes for your camino no matter how you do it.
Isn’t the first para a tad dramatic. Folks shouldn’t be touching other folks in the middle of the night!

Hi @GOB
Don't worry - I've heard and seen as bad as what you describe whilst staying in albergues. You come to expect all sorts - one night, a sleep walking pilgrim took a leak on my rucksack thinking it was the toilet! I saw the funny side as he was ushered out of the room by a fellow pilgrim.

I'm sure your more extreme habits won't materialise, but the snoring and chatter is common place, hence why ear plugs are an absolute essential item.

As mentioned previously, Gronze is a really good tool to book ahead on the Camino. There'll be plenty of options along that stretch you mention.

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @GOB
Don't worry - I've heard and seen as bad as what you describe whilst staying in albergues. You come to expect all sorts - one night, a sleep walking pilgrim took a leak on my rucksack thinking it was the toilet! I saw the funny side as he was ushered out of the room by a fellow pilgrim.

I'm sure your more extreme habits won't materialise, but the snoring and chatter is common place, hence why ear plugs are an absolute essential item.

As mentioned previously, Gronze is a really good tool to book ahead on the Camino. There'll be plenty of options along that stretch you mention.

Buen Camino!
I had a chap sick all over my clothes after he clearly had a big night out! He was mortified next morning but I reassured him it was no biggie. We all have the odd ‘shocker’!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I love the albergue experience—snorers and all. I found that I made many more contacts and felt a comraderie I didn’t feel when staying in private rooms. And I am a pretty extreme introvert, in my 60s, who has been known to talk in my sleep and get up several times at night to pee. I say give it a try! It certainly was out of my comfort zone until I did. Leave the private rooms to those who really need them…..the very elderly, Ill, or couples on their honeymoon😄

You don't present a case that makes me want to recommend that you stay in communal albergues.;) There are many ways to get outside your comfort zone and perhaps you should pick another! I don't see what you are trying to achieve, except perhaps to have more social contact with other pilgrims. You can search any guidebook or app, looking for places that offer both dormitory sleeping and private rooms. Gronze.com provides such information, indicating which places take reservations, which ones have only dormitory beds, and which ones also have private rooms. That would put you in a situation where everyone sleeps better, and you could challenge yourself to not eat alone each night.
I agree totally!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I agree that the attitude that is most considerate and kind to others is what @C clearly, @trecile and @woody66 have suggested.

Yes I agree that sleeping in an albergue is a two way street. I am lucky that when I am asleep very little disturbs me and if I wake I put my earbuds in and listen to various sleep inducing things on my phone.
Having said that I would like some advance warning if I was sharing with a ‘shouter’ and ‘pillow thrower’. I have a friend who has similar night behaviours and when I share with her it’s OK as I know what to expect - and she is a friend.
Having said that I also agree that it might be better for you and others to sleep in a single room - to not disturb others and for you to not receive the inevitable angry vibes.
Good luck and many blessings
Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Isn’t the first para a tad dramatic. Folks shouldn’t be touching other folks in the middle of the night!
No, but having a husband with epic snoring issues (now using a CPAP) I can quite understand. Often the snorer doesnt realise how loud they are. There are snorers and then there are SNORERS. He was in denial for years, until he saw a sleep therapist.

As long as I was asleep first I was able to sleep through the snoring, but there was no way I could fall asleep if he was already asleep.

I was once woken up by my dogs trying to alert me that something was wrong - my husband was snoring particularly loudly and they wanted it to stop. They often used to go up to his face and peer at him as if trying to work out what he was doing.

We were evicted from a camping ground once. Management came over and told us we couldn't stay another night, and would have to move on, he'd received a delegation of other campers.
(Tents have thin walls)

So dont underestimate other peoples reactions, Ive seen things thrown at snorers, seen them prodded by sticks. People will get to the end of their tether and do things they probably shouldn't to another sleeping person.

Last edited:
No, but having a husband with epic snoring issues (now using a CPAP) I can quite understand. Often the snorer doesnt realise how loud they are. There are snorers and then there are SNORERS. He was in denial for years, until he saw a sleep therapist.

As long as I was asleep first I was able to sleep through the snoring, but there was no way I could fall asleep if he was already asleep.

I was once woken up by my dogs trying to alert me that something was wrong - my husband was snoring particularly loudly and they wanted it to stop. They often used to go up to his face and peer at him as if trying to work out what he was doing.

We were evicted from a camping ground once. Management came over and told us we couldn't stay another night, and would have to move on, he'd received a delegation of other campers.
(Tents have thin walls)

So dont underestimate other peoples reactions, Ive seen things thrown at snorers, seen them prodded by sticks. People will get to the end of their tether and do things they probably shouldn't to another sleeping person.
I don’t underestimate it but once you enter a dorm you have to accept certain things.

And if someone prods you or throws things, give it back with interest! They won’t do it again trust me! Don’t accept the bullying!

I have shared with many a snorer and of course I am not delighted but surely we can tolerate?!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don’t underestimate it but once you enter a dorm you have to accept certain things.

And if someone prods you or throws things, give it back with interest! They won’t do it again trust me! Don’t accept the bullying!
In an albergue in Najera in 2016, people threw walking sticks, and even a pack at a loudly snoring guy, who never broke his snoring pattern once. In the end the whole room of people got up before 5am and started walking as they knew it was pointless staying any longer, walking an extra stage that day to get ahead of him.

I dont think of it as bullying, I knew the women concerned, and they were just at breaking point. Its just desperation - especially if people had disrupted sleep over several nights in a row - and also overtired from the exertion of walking. One of the women was walking the Camino to celebrate surviving cancer treatment, and was not as robust as the rest of us. Many of them had various personal issues, and none of them could ever have been called a bully.
When you enter a dorm you expect a level of snoring/coughing/snuffling/talking/moving around. One person keeping an entire dorm awake is quite extreme, and a little selfish.

Some people do not understand their effect on others though. My husband was truly surprised and shocked when the sleep specialist explained about his condition after monitoring.
He had truly believed we were all exaggerating. The therapist explained that was common, serious snorers/sleep apnea sufferers are often unaware of their effect on others.
He was rated 8 out of 10 which was extreme, of course the family joke is that we'd hate to meet the person who was 10.

He now has a CPAP so sleep in our house is now possible, and on Camino together we look for rooms rather than dorms. He isnt loud any more but he feels conspicuous using a CPAP in a dorm.

Last edited:
In an albergue in Najera in 2016, people threw walking sticks, and even a pack at a loudly snoring guy, who never broke his snoring pattern once. In the end the whole room of people got up before 5am and started walking as they knew it was pointless staying any longer, walking an extra stage that day to get ahead of him.

I dont think of it as bullying, I knew the women concerned, and they were just at breaking point. Its just desperation - especially if people had disrupted sleep over several nights in a row - and also overtired from the exertion of walking. One of the women was walking the Camino to celebrate surviving cancer treatment, and was not as robust as the rest of us. Many of them had various personal issues, and none of them could ever have been called a bully.
When you enter a dorm you expect a level of snoring/coughing/snuffling/moving around. One person keeping an entire dorm awake is quite extreme, and a little selfish.

Some people do not understand their effect on others though. My husband was truly surprised and shocked when the sleep specialist explained about his condition after monitoring.
He had truly believed we were all exaggerating. The therapist explained that was common, serious snorers/sleep apnea sufferers are often unaware of their effect on others.
He was rated 8 out of 10 which was extreme, of course the family joke is that we'd hate to meet the person who was 10.

He now has a CPAP so sleep in our house is now possible, and on Camino together we look for rooms rather than dorms. He isnt loud any more but he feels conspicuous using a CPAP in a dorm.
Thank you. Well done to your husband for facing his issue and good to see it working out for you. ! I get it, I do! I have a friend who is severely disabled and it takes him about 5 mins to board a public transport bus. The abuse he has taken for delaying peoples journies had been quite a thing over the years. Shouts of ‘get a taxi’ and so on. They shut up when they realise he has friends!

We all have weaknesses. I am very tolerant, but very impatient! Lots of intolerance on here. I’m not fussed but please don’t come on here (not you but folks in general) playing the ‘holier then thou’, ‘Camino folks are more worthy’ card! Easy to be tolerant when it’s as no effect on you. Bit harder when it does!

@GOB snoring and noise does not worry me at all, but I confess that one of the few occasions where I was afraid on Camino was the night where I shared a bunk (he was up, I was down) with someone having the night terrors. It totally unnerved me. I got up and left the albergue, walking in the dark. Not something I wish to repeat.

€83,-

I have shared with many a snorer and of course I am not delighted but surely we can tolerate?!

Indeed, snoring men, stinking men, farting men, all these people may appear on the next bed once in dorm. it is all part of the game, imho. Perhaps the only unacceptable behavior is intentional and direct violation of privacy. The worst thing witnessed so far was a drunken guy who was throwing up during the night…

Indeed, snoring men, stinking men, farting men, all these people may appear on the next bed once in dorm. it is all part of the game, imho. Perhaps the only unacceptable behavior is intentional and direct violation of privacy. The worst thing witnessed so far was a drunken guy who was throwing up during the night…
Yes I had a chap in the bunk above me be sick all over my clothes which were on the floor next to my bottom bunk. He was mortified when he woke up and sobered up next morning and got the stuff cleaned. I was ok (ish) with it (we all have the odd moment)!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Things to be aware of,

If I were in the top or bottom of your bunk and you started flailing and cussing and punching I think I might freak out. Just a consideration. Sometimes albergues have single beds in addition to bunks.

You might be forcing your dorm-mates to be way out of their comfort zones!

I second @C clearly's advice to seek out albergues that have private rooms in addition to dorms.

Perhaps a way to take yourself out of your comfort zone would be to make it a point to invite another pilgrim (or two or three) to join you for dinner every evening. Or anything that you might not be comfortable doing in your everyday life in order to engage with other pilgrims. I don't advise throwing pillows at sleeping pilgrims. 😉
Oh, so wise....

Thank you all for your replies. I took a dive into past threads and posts to test the waters of tolerance and it appears that there are a multitude of gripes around dormitory living from open or closed windows to rustling bags to lavender sprays to lights, snoring etc etc so tolerance may be an endangered species how ever I choose to believe that most will say and do nothing more than use a forum like this to vent their frustrations.

Its no surprise that the medical profession have stuck a disorder label on my nocturnal episodes however I much prefer the label a friend used when he said my "fight or flight" response was broken when I was dreaming as all I did was fight.
In 44 years of marriage the only thing to have been injured was a pillow my nighttime routine of clearing the night stand of all potential missiles has been effective. It has been well over 16 months since any of the more outlandish behaviours have occurred I still clear the area just in case.

A special word of thanks goes to RobertS26 for his PM. Your evaluation and recommendations were spot on I will certainly try them out

Things to be aware of,

Just book yourself in a private room 😉

Thank you all for your replies. I took a dive into past threads and posts to test the waters of tolerance and it appears that there are a multitude of gripes around dormitory living from open or closed windows to rustling bags to lavender sprays to lights, snoring etc etc so tolerance may be an endangered species how ever I choose to believe that most will say and do nothing more than use a forum like this to vent their frustrations.

Its no surprise that the medical profession have stuck a disorder label on my nocturnal episodes however I much prefer the label a friend used when he said my "fight or flight" response was broken when I was dreaming as all I did was fight.
In 44 years of marriage the only thing to have been injured was a pillow my nighttime routine of clearing the night stand of all potential missiles has been effective. It has been well over 16 months since any of the more outlandish behaviours have occurred I still clear the area just in case.

A special word of thanks goes to RobertS26 for his PM. Your evaluation and recommendations were spot on I will certainly try them out
Try not to take this forum too seriously. It’s not the real world! Forums tend to be weird places, often not indicative of the broader community. There is some great people and advice on here but the level of intolerance can be quite low! Not just dorm living but all sorts of things! We have had people moaning about such things as people ‘overtaking style’. I don’t believe the generalised camino crowd (away from the forum), and dorm stayers in general are quite as intolerant! Certainly not what I have witnessed anyway. Best wishes!

Things to be aware of,

If you could be more specific about your start date I will do my best to avoid you!!!. Just kidding

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well... the degree of your night "activities" leans me towards recommending against sleeping in a communal situation. Of course - it depends on how loud your snoring is, and how frequent your nighttime outbursts are. It is funny - because my daughter has occasional night terrors - but much less so recently - and she does occasionally talk in her sleep. But it just lasts less than a minute (the sleep talking) and is usually more "mumbling" as opposed to a louder sleep conversation. She did sleep talk on at least one occasion that amused another pilgrim. But again - it was an occasional occurrence and not the kind of outbursts that you described. I would be amused at an occasional/momentary sleep talker. I would not be so amused with someone yelling/swearing/throwing/punching in the middle of the night.

But as for coming out of your shell - I highly recommend finding private rooms in albergues that offer Communal dinners if you can. Or simply join others for dinner/lunch at local bars/restaurants. I also recommend walking the Frances route as you will undoubtedly have people approaching YOU to talk and inviting YOU to dinner. Take them up on their offers. And don't be afraid to ask to be included when you know a group is going out to dinner. This is totally out of my comfort zone - but I did this a couple times and didn't regret it.

Well... the degree of your night "activities" leans me towards recommending against sleeping in a communal situation. Of course - it depends on how loud your snoring is, and how frequent your nighttime outbursts are. It is funny - because my daughter has occasional night terrors - but much less so recently - and she does occasionally talk in her sleep. But it just lasts less than a minute (the sleep talking) and is usually more "mumbling" as opposed to a louder sleep conversation. She did sleep talk on at least one occasion that amused another pilgrim. But again - it was an occasional occurrence and not the kind of outbursts that you described. I would be amused at an occasional/momentary sleep talker. I would not be so amused with someone yelling/swearing/throwing/punching in the middle of the night.

But as for coming out of your shell - I highly recommend finding private rooms in albergues that offer Communal dinners if you can. Or simply join others for dinner/lunch at local bars/restaurants. I also recommend walking the Frances route as you will undoubtedly have people approaching YOU to talk and inviting YOU to dinner. Take them up on their offers. And don't be afraid to ask to be included when you know a group is going out to dinner. This is totally out of my comfort zone - but I did this a couple times and didn't regret it.
Great advice! One of the peculiarities of Caminos/trekking, and I think independent travel, is that you meet folks in groups and you assume that have travelled together, are close friends etc. In reality they probably met at the last albergue!!

Remember meeting a seemingly very tight knit group of uk folks whilst walking. They had met hours earlier at lunch! So don’t feel you are intruding!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back