• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Refillable Toothpaste Tubes

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've seen those on the Matador site before. I think that they would work well for more standard trips, where you aren't as concerned about weight. On the Camino I would still need to buy more toothpaste when what I had in the refillable tube ran out. Then I would either have to buy a large size tube to refill the Matador tube (I suppose that I could leave the toothpaste that didn't fit into the refillable tube behind at an albergue), or I would have to throw it away. Or I would buy a new small tube of toothpaste and carry the now empty refillable tube home with me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is a clever product: https://www.matadorequipment.com/collections/matador-products/products/refillable-toothpaste-tubes

They sell some other interesting products on their website that might be useful on a Camino.

Nice.
Funnily enough, I have a very small tube (store bought) of toothpaste about that size that I use whilst travelling for business.

It was empty!
Darn.........

I was heading to the airport with no chance to get another one.

So I took a regular sized tube, and the small tube, and held them together really tight, mouth to mouth as it were..........and squeezed the large tube.

Hey presto! The small tube filled up again :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I just use toothpaste tablets - weigh almost nothing and I use 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night. I put it in my mouth, chew with saliva and hardly need much water then rinse off!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just use toothpaste tablets - weight almost nothing and I use 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night. I put it in my mouth, chew with saliva and hardly need much water then rinse off!

Did you get these from Lush? I’ve tried them and like them very much - but I like the Lush toothpaste jelly even more. You only need a dab on your toothbrush, and the amount that fits in one of Lush’s small sample size containers lasts for months, even brushing two or three times a day. Weighs (moderately) less than even a dentist-size sample tube of toothpaste, too.

As for the Matador refillable toothpaste tubes - to each their own, I suppose. I like a few of their products but this wouldn’t be useful to me. Their Flat Pack Soap Bar case, however, is an essential bit of kit. I was skeptical about the price, but it’s paid for itself several times over by preserving and prolonging the life of the bar soap I like traveling with without any soggy mess. (Yes, I’m aware you can use a Ziploc bag to hold a bar of soap as well. But a Ziploc bag won’t allow a bar of soap to dry in your kit right out of the shower.)

Did you get these from Lush? I’ve tried them and like them very much - but I like the Lush toothpaste jelly even more. You only need a dab on your toothbrush, and the amount that fits in one of Lush’s small sample size containers lasts for months, even brushing two or three times a day. Weighs (moderately) less than even a dentist-size sample tube of toothpaste, too.

As for the Matador refillable toothpaste tubes - to each their own, I suppose. I like a few of their products but this wouldn’t be useful to me. Their Flat Pack Soap Bar case, however, is an essential bit of kit. I was skeptical about the price, but it’s paid for itself several times over by preserving and prolonging the life of the bar soap I like traveling with without any soggy mess. (Yes, I’m aware you can use a Ziploc bag to hold a bar of soap as well. But a Ziploc bag won’t allow a bar of soap to dry in your kit right out of the shower.)

I am Canadian and I got them from MEC - they come either in mint or charcoal flavors and I have seen them in a local specialty store too - The Refillery...

These refillable toothpaste tubes have been around for decades. I remember using them when backpacking in the seventies. Of course, we didn’t use them for toothpaste. We used them to carry - wait for it - peanut butter! A hiker’s best friend.
However, I just looked at the Matador site, which I had never heard of before. I really like some of their products! I’m intrigued by their bar soap holder, since I plan to use bar shampoo and bar conditioner next time.
Thanks for sharing the ideas!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.