• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Registration and Passport Information for Portuguese Coastal Camino in Porto

MonaN

Time of past OR future Camino
Future Sept-Oct 2022
Hi there, we are starting the Portuguese coastal Camino on Sept 1 in Porto. Can someone tell me location of Cathedral where we can register for the Camino and get our passport and first stamp? Thanks

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As a minor note, nobody registers for the Camino; they just go ahead and do it. But as noted above, the cathedral in Oporto provides pilgrim credentials.
Thank you! Can we get the pilgrim passport at the Cathedral too? And would you know if there are specific hours to get credentials!

Thank you! Can we get the pilgrim passport at the Cathedral too? And would you know if there are specific hours to get credentials!

The Cathedral in Oporto is open from 9.00 am to 6.30 pm. I don't know if t hose hours are the same as getting credentials but they should be.

A pilgrim passport is a common name for the credential. I prefer not to use passport as the term as there is a suprising number of people who confuse their country's passport and a pilgrim's passport, but that's me.

The Cathedral in Oporto
Sorry for going way off track here and for being pedantic, and I'm not intending to single you out, but this seems as good a place to any to put this note about the slightly confusing name of Portugal's second-largest city.

The name of the city in Portuguese is Porto. In Spanish the name is Oporto and in English both names have been used but Oporto is erroneous and is less and less used in English these days (e.g. the English page on Wikipedia for the city is titled Porto, and Oporto redirects there).

The confusion about the name comes from the Portuguese masculine definite article 'o', which is used before Porto because 'porto' is also a noun, meaning port. So for example, 'Our destination is Porto' in Portuguese would be 'O nosso destino é o Porto', whereas to say the same thing for Lisbon (Lisboa, which is not otherwise a noun), it would be 'O nosso destino é Lisboa', without the article.

The 'o Porto' aspect then led to foreigners calling the city Oporto, which is not its name, just the same way that the most famous city in Brazil is not Orio de Janeiro, even though 'rio' is also a noun in Portuguese (meaning river) and the same article usage applies before it (e.g. 'O nosso destino é o Rio').

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi @MonaN, yes you can buy your credential(s) at the cathedral. You buy them inside where you also pay for entry to the Cathedral (well worth the couple of Euros extra). The views from the top are stunning and the tile work is in itself worth the entry fee.

Ps. You don’t have to go in

Attachments

• IMG_1126.jpeg
    IMG_1126.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1125.jpeg
    IMG_1125.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1098.jpeg
    IMG_1098.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 2
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi @MonaN, yes you can buy your credential(s) at the cathedral. You buy them inside where you also pay for entry to the Cathedral (well worth the couple of Euros extra). The views from the top are stunning and the tile work is in itself worth the entry fee.

Ps. You don’t have to go in
You have to buy your credentials? My apologies but I didn't realize churches charged for this.

You have to buy your credentials? My apologies but I didn't realize churches charged for this.
@MonaN the only things that come free on the Caminos are the sun, rain, and scenery, the friendships and the lasting memories. And the occasional fuente along the way.

As an aside you don’t need to pay to get into the Cathederals as a general rule, typically it’s only the larger ones with museums attached.

All the best for your first Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@MonaN the only things that come free on the Caminos are the sun, rain, and scenery, the friendships and the lasting memories. And the occasional fuente along the way.

As an aside you don’t need to pay to get into the Cathederals as a general rule, typically it’s only the larger ones with museums attached.

The Compostela is free (although there is a charge for a separate distance certificate).

Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi @JoJoPee there are three ways to do it.

1. Inside some credentials there is a QR Code. Scan that, it will take you to the Pilgrims Office website. Complete the the info and you’ll get a QR Code to show security at the front door of the pilgrims Office. (Can’t do it more than 3 days in advance). You’ll use it inside the pilgrims office to get your Compostela.

2. Log in to the pilgrims Office website and follow the same steps in 1..

3. On the day you want to collect your Compostela. Walk up to the Pilgrims Office, scan the QR Codes on one of the signs. Follow the steps in 1.

Once you have your QR Code the security guard lets you in. A lady gives you another QR Code, that’s just a queue number. Line up until your turn.

The QR on your phone is what you scan (or the Pilgrims Office Volunteers). From this your data you input is used to print your Compostela.

You’ll also be asked if you want a mileage Compostela, think it costs €3.

You’ll then be directed where to pay.

PS if you say you were doing your Camino for religious reasons, you get a slightly different Compostela.

Don’t forget, don’t register more than 3 days in advance (the system won’t store your info for longer). So I’ve been told.

Hope this helps.

Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi @JoJoPee there are three ways to do it.

1. Inside some credentials there is a QR Code. Scan that, it will take you to the Pilgrims Office website. Complete the the info and you’ll get a QR Code to show security at the front door of the pilgrims Office. (Can’t do it more than 3 days in advance). You’ll use it inside the pilgrims office to get your Compostela.

2. Log in to the pilgrims Office website and follow the same steps in 1..

3. On the day you want to collect your Compostela. Walk up to the Pilgrims Office, scan the QR Codes on one of the signs. Follow the steps in 1.

Once you have your QR Code the security guard lets you in. A lady gives you another QR Code, that’s just a queue number. Line up until your turn.

The QR on your phone is what you scan (or the Pilgrims Office Volunteers). From this your data you input is used to print your Compostela.

You’ll also be asked if you want a mileage Compostela, think it costs €3.

You’ll then be directed where to pay.

PS if you say you were doing your Camino for religious reasons, you get a slightly different Compostela.

Don’t forget, don’t register more than 3 days in advance (the system won’t store your info for longer). So I’ve been told.

Hope this helps.

Buen Camino
Thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back