• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Remedy for lessons learned

Time of past OR future Camino
December 2022
Last winter I over-enthusiastically packed for a winter Camino. I brought to much and packed to heavy but learned as I went and by the end had pared it down to reasonable weight

I’m coming back though and am in the process of applying that lesson to build a Camino specific kit! It’s getting expensive 😔 but I think I’ve brought it down five pounds. I saved a pound with a better pack (50L Atmos to Stratos 34L) (would stratos 36 be better? REI didn’t have it but I think I’d like the top load better but maybe I’m just used to the Atmos 🤷‍♂️). I’m ten ounces lighter with an upgraded down jacket and another ten upgrading a power bank. Think I shaved two pounds and a lot of volume upgrading my sleeping bag. Ditched all the Poly and got wool shirts. New pairs of Darn Toughs that should last the journey. I’m pretty much all new except for the plastic water bottle I put 2,000km on last winter which is coming back for another round, the same pants I wore, and want to go with new rain gear but bringing the old and if it doesn’t work I’ll get a poncho en-route.

I’m not going ultra-light fanatical but have made some wise purchases that way and see how counting grams can be addictive. I’m weighing in around 17 pounds which I think is pretty good for a winter Camino with down jackets and other winter clothes.

I leave west coast US next Thursday, land in Bilbao Friday evening and if all goes well will be walking next Saturday

I’m pretty maldito excited. I sadly left last spring when you all told me it would be foolish to overstay my Visa. I had a to busy and frustrating summer with Camino visions constantly running through my mind. But the hard work paid off and I am Very much happy to return.

Wish me well in my travels and Buen Camino to you all

Walk in Beauty 🙏

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Have a great camino Wildtrout, where are you going?

I'm preparing for my GR walks on the Balear islands and it's still 25 to 30 degrees C there. Don't know what to pack!

Have a great camino Wildtrout, where are you going?

I'm preparing for my GR walks on the Balear islands and it's still 25 to 30 degrees C there. Don't know what to pack!
Plan is to restart del Norte where I left off last spring then head down to Via de La Plata with a start in Gibraltar.

I’m sure the weather will be much different when I finish from when I start so it does get confusing what to pack

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Plan is to restart del Norte where I left off last spring then head down to Via de La Plata with a start in Gibraltar.

I’m sure the weather will be much different when I finish from when I start so it does get confusing what to pack
That’s a lot of walking. I am sure you will enjoy the VDLP and it will be cold by the time you finish
Don’t forget you can buy clothes along the way, others may have too much and share with you. Also often albergues have lots of items left by other pilgrims.
They say we pack our fears.
Best wishes
Mark

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back