• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Remember the first rule of the jungle/camino!!!!!

mark connolly

Time of past OR future Camino
sept 2016 CF
sept 2017 Lourdes to SJPDP via Piemonte
SJPDP to SDC via CF
2019 CF (God willing)
In a prior forum, someone mentioned the first rule of the jungle is, on the camino the
atm will eat your bank card when the bank is closed; or something to that effect, etc. Well it happened
to me. No, not on the camino, but at an ATM in NYC on Sunday (obviously the bank was closed and Monday,
Labor Day, is a holiday in the US). And guess what? I leave for the
camino on Thursday. Now don't worry, this was my spare or extra ATM card. As you can see,
this is a reminder to all, use the ATM during banking hours and keep an extra/spare ATM card
and some spare cash seperate for the other ATM/cash that you already have. With that
being said, I am off to Lourdes to start my camino. Wait....wait..in France it is called le chemin
and in Spain it is called el camino....so I am off on Thursday to Lourdes to start my chemin.
Buen camino, I mean bon chemin

Mark

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In a prior forum, someone mentioned the first rule of the jungle is, on the camino the
atm will eat your bank card when the bank is closed; or something to that effect, etc. Well it happened
to me. No, not on the camino, but at an ATM in NYC on Sunday (obviously the bank was closed and Monday,
Labor Day, is a holiday in the US). And guess what? I leave for the
camino on Thursday. Now don't worry, this was my spare or extra ATM card. As you can see,
this is a reminder to all, use the ATM during banking hours and keep an extra/spare ATM card
and some spare cash seperate for the other ATM/cash that you already have. With that
being said, I am off to Lourdes to start my camino. Wait....wait..in France it is called le chemin
and in Spain it is called el camino....so I am off on Thursday to Lourdes to start my chemin.
Buen camino, I mean bon chemin

Mark
Something is not right with your card. I've used my ATM card at home and abroad at all hours and never had a card taken. The only time this happened to me was when I forgot my PIN number and entered the wrong numbers 3 times in a row. I had to go inside the bank to retrieve.

Are you saying that you can only use the ATM when the bank is open?
That's what he wrote but that's not how ATMs work. Something went wrong there. This is not normal by any means.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
No. This was a warning that if you want to avoid problems on the camino you should use only use ATMs located at banks that are open. That way, if the ATM takes your card and doesn't return it (as happened to the OP), you can go into the bank and get your card returned. Otherwise you may be out of funds for a few days while waiting to get your card back.

one of my mates used to have his card fastened to a strip of sticky tape so that he could pull it back out if the machine tried to take it.

I think he is saying it is safer to us an ATM when the bank is open. Then if there is a problem they can help you.

However, these days, some bank ATM's are being serviced by outside companies, so even when the bank is open the branch staff have no keys to retrieve captured cards.

I learnt on this forum: Always keep $50-100 (E50-E100) with you in a safe space in case of emergencies.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That's what he wrote but that's not how ATMs work. Something went wrong there. This is not normal by any means.

Like all machines ATMs can fail. If they restart or have a computer error during your transaction, you may not get your money or your card back.

It is rare, but it definitely happens.

Not a silly thread at all. My husband (travelling on his own at the time) flew from Rome to Madrid, not only did his pack fail to arrive (2 weeks later found in the transit luggage in Rome airport) then his bank card was eaten by the machine at the airport. So we NEVER travel without a spare 50 euros in the pocket and another bank card for emergencies in the money belt. Technology is wonderful when it works!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Not a silly thread at all. My husband (travelling on his own at the time) flew from Rome to Madrid, not only did his pack fail to arrive (2 weeks later found in the transit luggage in Rome airport) then his bank card was eaten by the machine at the airport. So we NEVER travel without a spare 50 euros in the pocket and another bank card for emergencies in the money belt. Technology is wonderful when it works!
What did your husband end up doing? Did he delay his camino?

Hopefully that's your 'glitch' for this Camino. Have an awesome journey.
Buen camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

No, he didn't say that at all! You can use an ATM even when the bank itself is closed BUT if you run into problems it is easier to get help if the bank is open. Happened to me some days agao. I was paying in money via the ATM and the "put your money in here opening" got stuck. I couldn't leave the ATM (unless I wanted to risk that somebody pinches my money) and was glad that another customer went into the bank and got a clerk/employee who solved my problem with --- tweezers ;-)

So, always keep Murphy's Law in mind and try your best to prepare for it ;-)

Bon/Buen Camino/Chemin, SY

Something is not right with your card. I've used my ATM card at home and abroad at all hours and never had a card taken. The only time this happened to me was when I forgot my PIN number and entered the wrong numbers 3 times in a row. I had to go inside the bank to retrieve.

Cards can be taken and have been taken for a wide variety of reasons:

The chip is damaged.
The card is flagged for "suspicious use" (you forgot to tell your bank that you are traveling abroad).
Hard/Software failure of the ATM.
Electricity outage in middle of transaction.

etc etc etc

Always take a back-up card. Buen Camino, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's about time I fessed up and admit that my post was a bit stupid, I just thought things might be different in other countries outside of Europe, how wrong can I be.
I promise to be more sensible in future.

It's about time I fessed up and admit that my post was a bit stupid
No, what was stupid was a Telebanco ATM message telling me something like "Funds already drawn" leaving me to assume that someone had already withdrawn the daily maximum amount from my account. The message actually should have been "Insufficient funds". :mad:

Cards can be taken and have been taken for a wide variety of reasons:

The chip is damaged.
The card is flagged for "suspicious use" (you forgot to tell your bank that you are traveling abroad).
Hard/Software failure of the ATM.
Electricity outage in middle of transaction.

etc etc etc

Always take a back-up card. Buen Camino, SY
True. But the OP stated that ATMs don't work after banks are closed. That's what I was responding to. Not the other reasons that might cause an issue.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@alaskadiver If you re-read the OPs post again, you will note that he referred to a version of Murphy's Law, but never stated that ATMs don't work when/after banks are closed. Here the quote (bolding by me):

"... the first rule of the jungle is, on the camino the atm will eat your bank card when the bank is closed;

Buen Camino, SY

No. This was a warning that if you want to avoid problems on the camino you should use only use ATMs located at banks that are open. That way, if the ATM takes your card and doesn't return it (as happened to the OP), you can go into the bank and get your card returned. Otherwise you may be out of funds for a few days while waiting to get your card back.
Different countries, different banks, different times, the same story: ATM eats the card, bank is open, its even the card issued by that same bank, but no, they don't service that ATM and all you can do is call the card service company to block that card and send you another (and not to the camino, but to the address they have in their system). Just be ready.

As a couple we were covered pretty well with Peg having a card from her own bank and me from mine and we both had a card kept hidden away to access our joint account. We used mine because it had no fee for international usage although we did use her card twice at the end of the trip when mine had insufficient funds. I had scheduled automatic weekly transfers of funds from our joint account to mine but had failed to notice that the transfers would stop after 8 weeks and our trip was 12 weeks. Peg is cheap what I call a child of the great depression and since if we didn't withdraw her funds from a Deutsche Bank there would be a charge we took what might be called a couple of financial pilgrimages through Pamplona and Barcelona.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This definitely happens. Happened to us in Leon. For no apparent reason the ATM kept the card. Luckily, the bank was open and after an appeal to the bank manager, the card was retrieved and returned. So I definitely try to plan ahead and use banks that are opened for business.

I have had a US ATM eat my Debit card. I immediately called the bank to speak to an operator to see how I could get it back as the bank was closed. They didn't care. They didn't even want to know which machine it was. They told me that these things happen. Since then I always try to go to banks that are open, so that if this happens again, I can talk to the manager to see if I can get my card back.

There was no suspicious activity on my card or any other problem. The machine just malfunctioned.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back