• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reminder to keep your powerbank in your hand luggage!

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Enjoying the camino since 2009
Just a quick tip or reminder to those who take a powerbank to keep it in their hand luggage on the flight. When I landed yesterday and picked up my suitcase, I thought the zips weren't where I left them, and when I came home and opened it, I found a note inside from the carrier to say they had opened it to check for unlawful items. They found my powerbank, which is on the prohibited items list, and promptly confiscated it. I am now trying to remember what make and model it was so I can buy a new one ...
So to avoid any delays etc, best keep it with you and as easily accessible as possible in case you get stopped at security and asked to dig it out and show them what it is. I didn't think about it when I ticked the box to say I wasn't carrying any lithium ion batteries! Lesson learned.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good reminder! Although, I must say - I found that I did not need a powerbank. At least - not on the Frances. It was easy to recharge at the albergue. And on the rare occassion I felt the need to recharge during the day - bar owners didn't mind having a paying customer plug in their phone to recharge. I only had to do that once, but I had friends who did it more often. It also helps to keep your phone on airplane mode when not in use. Or simply turn it off. I did use it when I walked to call my family to check in - but turning it on airplane mode preventing all the other calls and texts and emails from disrupting my journey. And on airplane mode - I could still access my music. Not hat I listened often, but when I wanted music I still had access to it (with headphones of course)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Noted! moving to my carry-on.

I have a nice PB that has loads of ports so when I am charging it I generally invite 2 others, or 3 if there are enough different port users (I have a wireless pad on the face of it, 2 USB, one USB-C and the new oval lightening port) to charge their devices too.

I tend to keep my phone, which I use for its camera, close to hand. I have no concern with charging my power bank overnight, if necessary, but have heard too many stories of disappearing phones.

I found the power bank very useful, especially if I was needing to recharge in a dodgy place where I wasn’t comfortable leaving my phone or where there wasn’t enough available outlets. My camino family could also use it as we were walking.
I would recommend taking a USB charge plug that is a fast charger and has two connections so you can share the outlet.

Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
"Lizhk" makes a good point about carrying a charge plug as well as a bank. I'd like to point out that not all charging plugs are the same.

My wife has an iphone 10, I have a Samsung Android. We've discovered that the rapid chargers are different between the two. So our car has two charging cords, and we have two different AC mains power charge plugs.

We will be doing the Camino next year, and I have already made sure that the wall outlet chargers are 120-140 volts AC and that the charger and cable will allow the phone to go into fast charge mode.

Mike

Last edited:
Just a quick tip or reminder to those who take a powerbank to keep it in their hand luggage on the flight. When I landed yesterday and picked up my suitcase, the zips weren't where I left them, and when I came home and opened it, I found a note inside from the carrier to say they had opened it to check for unlawful items and found my powerbank, which is on the prohibited items list. So to avoid any delays etc, best keep it with you and as easily accessible as possible in case you get stopped at security and asked to dig it out and show them what it is. I didn't think about it when I ticked the box to say I wasn't carrying any lithium ion batteries!
Yes you must carry power banks in your carry on luggage, there are also size limits which are approximately 20000mAh so make sure the you know the size of your power bank . I had two confiscated in by China airport as they were too large of capacity.
With all your electronic equipment make sure you test everything before you go. For example is the charger big enough to charge all your items, get a long charging cable so you can have your phone in your bed when charging.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just a quick tip or reminder to those who take a powerbank to keep it in their hand luggage on the flight. When I landed yesterday and picked up my suitcase, the zips weren't where I left them, and when I came home and opened it, I found a note inside from the carrier to say they had opened it to check for unlawful items and found my powerbank, which is on the prohibited items list. So to avoid any delays etc, best keep it with you and as easily accessible as possible in case you get stopped at security and asked to dig it out and show them what it is. I didn't think about it when I ticked the box to say I wasn't carrying any lithium ion batteries!
Thank you! I am sorry for your experience.

Yes you must carry power banks in your carry on luggage, there are also size limits which are approximately 20000mAh so make sure the you know the size of your power bank . I had two confiscated in by China airport as they were too large of capacity.
With all your electronic equipment make sure you test everything before you go. For example is the charger big enough to charge all your items, get a long charging cable so you can have your phone in your bed when charging.
I had one confiscated when I came back from Morocco, only because the casing was slightly larger than the permitted size. I was told that it could be collected from the lost luggage when I arrived at the airport - (which didn't make a lot of sense). When I got there, they had no idea what I was talking about. Eventually, after numerous complaints via email, they agreed to pay for a replacement as they had told me that I would be able to collect it on arrival and I couldn't. The whole situation was rather bizarre!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just a quick tip or reminder to those who take a powerbank to keep it in their hand luggage on the flight. When I landed yesterday and picked up my suitcase, I thought the zips weren't where I left them, and when I came home and opened it, I found a note inside from the carrier to say they had opened it to check for unlawful items. They found my powerbank, which is on the prohibited items list, and promptly confiscated it. I am now trying to remember what make and model it was so I can buy a new one ...
So to avoid any delays etc, best keep it with you and as easily accessible as possible in case you get stopped at security and asked to dig it out and show them what it is. I didn't think about it when I ticked the box to say I wasn't carrying any lithium ion batteries! Lesson learned.
Flying from where to where, and which airline? Thanks

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.