• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

RENFE idiosyncrasies & Interesting knife store in Madrid

El Cascayal

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
23:Valença Var Espiritual Apr; Norte Cudillero Oct
When you board RENFE there is a security X-ray checkpoint. Poles are no problem.
In Santiago, I had bought 2 small dining knives which were wrapped in their original packaging and that I bubble wrapped to my trekking poles and secured in my small duffel bag that gets checked on the plane for return flight to the US. In this duffel go some extras like gifts and this time 3 quesos de tetilla from the mercado de abastos, but, I digress. I was shocked when the knives were confiscated with much fanfare and drama. The sticking point , which I find insane, was that they would have allowed them to go through under 2 conditions if bought 24 prior to travel AND bill of sale/receipt was presented. Huh???? Still is completely illogical to me.
In Madrid, I replaced the knives at this wonderful storefront, Cuchillería Viñas, open since 1925 and now run by the owner’s daughter, on Calle de Atocha. Telling her of the RENFE tale, the elderly owner was visibly outraged at the knife confiscation and I quickly learned some new and highly visual, animated and creative curses. I learn so much on every Camino. The Camino truly provides. Pictures of her store which is more like a big closet storefront. Worth a visit.4071D24A-354C-46A5-B7F8-AAE45A398901.png

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When you board RENFE there is a security X-ray checkpoint. Poles are no problem.
In Santiago, I had bought 2 small dining knives which were wrapped in their original packaging and that I bubble wrapped to my trekking poles and secured in my small duffel bag that gets checked on the plane for return flight to the US. In this duffel go some extras like gifts and this time 3 quesos de tetilla from the mercado de abastos, but, I digress. I was shocked when the knives were confiscated with much fanfare and drama. The sticking point , which I find insane, was that they would have allowed them to go through under 2 conditions if bought 24 prior to travel AND bill of sale/receipt was presented. Huh???? Still is completely illogical to me.
In Madrid, I replaced the knives at this wonderful storefront, Cuchillería Viñas, open since 1925 and now run by the owner’s daughter, on Calle de Atocha. Telling her of the RENFE tale, the elderly owner was visibly outraged at the knife confiscation and I quickly learned some new and highly visual, animated View attachment 121248and creative curses. I learn so much on every Camino. The Camino truly provides. Pictures of her store which is more like a big closet storefront. Worth a visit.
They’ve got the largest range of scissors there that I’ve ever seen.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well, IMHO, a trip to that store in Madrid was probably worth the loss of the knives in Santiago. What a great place. Reminds me of the button shops and lace shops I’ve seen all around the Plaza Mayor. I always wonder how much longer can they possibly stay in business, fingers crossed!

But it is hard to figure out how knives become less dangerous if purchased within the last 24 hours and accompanied by a receipt. :rolleyes:

this time 3 quesos de tetilla from the mercado de abastos,
What? None of those beautiful little cans from Las Conservas del Camino? I was skeptical at first, since my only experience with canned fish/seafood is Chicken of the Sea and the occasional anchovy. But they have consistently been big hits when I bring home gifts for friends. Small, beautifully packaged and very cheap.

Safe travels home, @El Cascayal, really enjoyed seeing you on video with Ivar.

Buen camino, Laurie

The sticking point , which I find insane, was that they would have allowed them to go through under 2 conditions if bought 24 prior to travel AND bill of sale/receipt was presented. Huh???? Still is completely illogical to me.
First of all: Thank goodness, this is about knives on trains in Spain and not about knives on planes in Europe!!!

Second thought: What surprises me about this story is the fact that the owner of the knife shop in Madrid was outraged. You'd think that this cannot come as a surprise for people in this trade.

I don't know the particularities of the law in Spain. I believe it says something along the lines that knives have to be packed away, ie not immediately available, and that you have to have a plausible reason for carrying them. Having bought them recently and taking them home immediately after purchase is a plausible and easy to check reason. And this comment is merely a feeble attempt to see some logic in what appears as completely illogical.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
First of all: Thank goodness, this is about knives on trains in Spain and not about knives on planes in Europe!!!

Second thought: What surprises me about this story is the fact that the owner of the knife shop in Madrid was outraged. You'd think that this cannot come as a surprise for people in this trade.

I don't know the particularities of the law in Spain. I believe it says something along the lines that knives have to be packed away, ie not immediately available, and that you have to have a plausible reason for carrying them. Having bought them recently and taking them home immediately after purchase is a plausible and easy to check reason. And this comment is merely a feeble attempt to see some logic in what appears as completely illogical.
It was so crazy, I had to empty everything out in order to get to them and they were totally mummified bubble wrapped to the poles. They were there. What difference did it make whether they were recently bought and bill of sale was produced? Carmen the owner in Madrid, said they were scam artists who confiscated stuff for themselves. I took it as, she respects the waste of a good knife and thought they were scoundrels. Led to a very informative conversation. I love these interactions.

In Madrid, I replaced the knives at this wonderful storefront, Cuchillería Viñas, open since 1925 and now run by the owner’s daughter, on Calle de Atocha. Telling her of the RENFE tale, the elderly owner was visibly outraged at the knife confiscation and I quickly learned some new and highly visual, animated View attachment 121248and creative curses. I learn so much on every Camino. The Camino truly provides. Pictures of her store which is more like a big closet storefront. Worth a visit.
I avoid RENFE like the plague because of ongoing horrible experiences booking and in their trains.

Interesting. I bought a replica Templar dagger in Toledo and had it in my carry-on bag on the train back to Madrid. No problem, even though it was pretty lethal looking.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was planning on bringing my Swiss army knife. Will that be a problem now?

Well, IMHO, a trip to that store in Madrid was probably worth the loss of the knives in Santiago. What a great place. Reminds me of the button shops and lace shops I’ve seen all around the Plaza Mayor. I always wonder how much longer can they possibly stay in business, fingers crossed!
I suspect that these shops will continue, while local people still use craft skills to repair or make their own clothes. There is a healthy make and repair ethos in both Spain and Portugal.
My wife and eldest daughter are avid clothes makers and make use of the still extant craft shops in Spain/Portugal/Austria when we are on vacation. My youngest daughter is of the new generation that rarely repairs or makes clothes and is quick to upgrade to the latest technology.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Students of irony may like to consider that a knife secured in an item of luggage is subject to x-ray scrutiny and possible confiscation. The same in a trouser pocket is likely to be ignored.

There are no definitive or sensible answers to any of these scenarios. But then the camino was always supposed to be an adventure ;)

Some years ago while traveling through Istanbul Airport to Sochi. Airport security scanned my Laptop bag and confiscated my metal retractable tape measure since it was classed as a dangerous object!! Having missed my connection I enjoyed a couple of nights in Istanbul.

Since I was travelling to Russia I thought I better double check my bag to avoid any further surprises. Much to my surprise I found an insulation stripping knife slipped behind the lining. The blade is probably less than two inches long but it is a fearsome looking instrument. I had possibly been traveling with this in my bag for upwards of two years and never been stopped!!!

The latest versions of this knife now have a metal washer welded to the hook end of the knife. This supposedly makes it more difficult to disembowel apprentices who get the Tea order wrong.

1648404273980.png

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Reminds me of the button shops and lace shops I’ve seen all around the Plaza Mayor. I always wonder how much longer can they possibly stay in business
I love those shops for sewing notions, found in many cities, and usually find a reason to go in - for example to buy a piece of elastic or fastener for something on my backpack. I enjoy the window shopping as well s practicing my Spanish in this ordinary practical way.
I suspect that these shops will continue, while local people still use craft skills to repair or make their own clothes. There is a healthy make and repair ethos in both Spain and Portugal.
Speaking of craft skills, I want to recommend (again) the YouTube videos of Eugenio Monesma, such as this one on handmade knives.
But it is hard to figure out how knives become less dangerous if purchased within the last 24 hours and accompanied by a receipt.
Possibly from psychological profiling of people (and their behaviour) who do knife attacks? Or, simply to allow for last-minute souvenir purchases by tourists. I'm not defending the policy at all - just trying to guess the rationale (faulty or not) behind it!

I've always had a small Opinel knife in my pack for numerous train trips in Spain, and have never had it questioned or taken away. They very popular in Spain. They are cheap (cheaper than a Swiss army knife) too so not a huge loss if they did take it and easily replaced.

It may very well depend on who’s looking at the X-ray screen as well as the length. They wand your underarms and sides, no metal detector door like thing. I have a very old Swiss Army knife card, always in my waist pack, they either didn’t see it or didn’t interest them.

Attachments

• ECAAA6F0-ED54-4C12-B74E-87FA8AFDB6A3.jpeg
    ECAAA6F0-ED54-4C12-B74E-87FA8AFDB6A3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 26
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The X-ray operators at train stations appear generally less assiduous than at airports. I’ve never had an issue with my SAK in my rucksack on RENFE; although it was a problem getting into the British Consulate in Madrid in search of an unusual sello with it.

I avoid RENFE like the plague because of ongoing horrible experiences booking and in their trains.
We always carry two sharp, but inexpensive paring knives with blade covers, basically for food prep. They are in our bags and have gone through the x ray machines at two different stations in Madrid at least 10 times and ours have never been flagged. Nor do I recall ever being wanded!? In September,the screener seemed half asleep. We put our stuff through and he never even got up from where he was sitting?

In addition, I usually book my tickets through renfe ‘comfort’ class for only a few extra euros. The seating and coaches were very comfortable.

There are always anecdotes from or about people who had their Swiss army knife confiscated at a Renfe security control point but the overwhelming majority of travellers did not have theirs confiscated.

The general consensus is that Renfe makes the rules about what they allow through and what not.

The law about carrying “arma blanca” in Spain, which covers pocket knives and dinner knives, mentions limits of blade length of 6 cm and 11 cm plus further details about the features of these knives and details about conditions/situations where carrying is prohibited or allowed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We are planning to take the ALSA bus, Madrid-Oviedo. Do they also have strict security also ? Thanks for any advice .

It may very well depend on who’s looking at the X-ray screen as well as the length. They wand your underarms and sides, no metal detector door like thing. I have a very old Swiss Army knife card, always in my waist pack, they either didn’t see it or didn’t interest them.

We bought these swords from Mariano Zamorano in Toledo on one of our trips. The diagonally mounted sword is about 4 feet long. We had no problem on the train from to Toledo to Madrid, but they probably see numerous swords and knives daily. Our problem was finding a bag to put them in to check as luggage!
Sword.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid Chamartín early on Sunday morning. To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or...
I'm about to start the Camino Portuguese, and was wondering what rideshare options are available in Europe?
Hi all! I am trying to finish up the last bit of planning for our upcoming Camino, in two and a half weeks, from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela. We are kinda doing things a little backwards, as...
Where in Santiago can I catch the bus to the airport?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back