• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Requesting November, 2020 Portuguese Camino Information

The Yukon

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese, Jacobs Weg, Camino Frances, Tui to Fatima
First Entry: It would be my privilege to walk the Portuguese Camino again, only from Lisbon to Valenca this year. Might there be anyone out there on the Portuguese Camino who could tell me what it's like. I live in the northwest corner of Canada near the Arctic Circle, 500 km from the nearest known case of Covid 19, so at this moment in time I'm one of the lucky. Be that as it may, after being the coldest place on earth (twice this month) and wondering why it's still dark at 10 a.m., I long to travel back to Portugal - to travel respectfully. TAP and SATA have both said that if I showed up 6,500 km to the SE in Toronto, they would let me on the plane and take me to Portugal.

Please, could someone who is on "the path" right now (November 15, 2020) tell someone from "the Yukon" how it is out there right now anywhere between Lisbon and Valenca.

Obrigado

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In asking "how it is out there" during a pandemic, you have asked a very broad question about a very complicated topic.

Maybe to help people understand where to start, in providing the information you want, can you tell us first if you have been following reliable information sources about requirements for entry into Portugal from Canada, and about how Portugal manages its Covid restrictions and requirements in various parts of the country. A friendly statement from someone at the airline is not enough to go on, under the circumstances.

Is that what you are asking, or are you asking about the albergue openings, pilgrim numbers and the weather?

No matter how it is today, out there, are you prepared for possible changes in restrictions on movement, lodging and restaurants, contingency plans if you cannot continue walking, for whatever reasons, the need for medical insurance, quarantine when you return to Canada, etc.?

You might read this post by @jungleboy, who lives in Lisbon. But he walked in September, and that was light years ago, in pandemic terms.

Sorry to be a bit negative, but I'm trying to determine if you have any idea of the possible challenges you might be facing.

As @C clearly wrote above, I walked from Lisbon to Santiago in September (arriving in Santiago on Oct 2), and things have certainly changed since then.

Currently, Portugal is in a state of emergency. Most of the country has curfew between 11pm-5am on weekdays and between 1pm-5am on weekends (at least through this coming weekend). Here is a decent rundown in English of the current restrictions, although the article is a week old by now and the restrictions now apply to 191 municipalities:

Key Points: Measures of the New State of Emergency

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
TAP and SATA have both said that if I showed up 6,500 km to the SE in Toronto, they would let me on the plane and take me to Portugal.
I can't contribute anything to your actual question but this was my first thought: did TAP and SATA confirm that you personally fulfil the conditions for entering Portugal at the moment or did they just confirm that they fly from Toronto to Portugal?

Canada was removed from the EU list on 22 October 2020 so that Canadian residents are currently subject to travel/entry restrictions that did not exist before this date and the majority of people living in Canada, with few exceptions, are barred from entry into EU countries since then. Portugal followed the EU's recommendation and removed Canada from their list on 30 October 2020, with a recent further prolongation of this entry ban for travellers from Canada until at least 30 November 2020.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm currently walking the Via de la Plata. Although this is not the Portuguse way, I think the caminos and covid situation are more or less comparable. In the south/middle of the Iberian peninsula it's quite hard to find places to sleep. A lot of accommodations and facilities are closed due to the (covid) season. From Porto onwards I think it's very doable (see link for a list of accommodations).

At the moment only pilgrims that started their Camino before the 30th of October are allowed to continue their pilgrimage in (lockdown) areas in Galicia, among which Santiago. For now I would thus advice you to stay home. However, the C19 situation changed the last few months quite rapidly: for better or for worse. It could be that the number of infections in January/February is at an level that it is safe to travel (as indicated by the Canadian/Portugese/Spanish authorities). So maybe you can postpone your path until then if that is possible?

You might read this post by @jungleboy, who lives in Lisbon. But he walked in September, and that was light years ago, in pandemic terms
And it's important to remember that @jungleboy already lives in Portugal, so that if necessary he could have more easily returned home than someone who has to travel across the Atlantic.
Likewise @SimonDJ who lives in Europe does not have such a long (and expensive) flight home.

As @C clearly wrote above, I walked from Lisbon to Santiago in September (arriving in Santiago on Oct 2), and things have certainly changed since then.

Currently, Portugal is in a state of emergency. Most of the country has curfew between 11pm-5am on weekdays and between 1pm-5am on weekends (at least through this coming weekend). Here is a decent rundown in English of the current restrictions, although the article is a week old by now and the restrictions now apply to 191 municipalities:

Key Points: Measures of the New State of Emergency
This is very helpful information. Thank you Jungleboy. I've been enjoying your posts and your presence on this site.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm currently walking the Via de la Plata. Although this is not the Portuguse way, I think the caminos and covid situation are more or less comparable. In the south/middle of the Iberian peninsula it's quite hard to find places to sleep. A lot of accommodations and facilities are closed due to the (covid) season. From Porto onwards I think it's very doable (see link for a list of accommodations).

At the moment only pilgrims that started their Camino before the 30th of October are allowed to continue their pilgrimage in (lockdown) areas in Galicia, among which Santiago. For now I would thus advice you to stay home. However, the C19 situation changed the last few months quite rapidly: for better or for worse. It could be that the number of infections in January/February is at an level that it is safe to travel (as indicated by the Canadian/Portugese/Spanish authorities). So maybe you can postpone your path until then if that is possible?
Thanks for responding SimonDJ. You're exactly who I want to hear from. Things are changing more rapidly than I thought.

I can't contribute anything to your actual question but this was my first thought: did TAP and SATA confirm that you personally fulfil the conditions for entering Portugal at the moment or did they just confirm that they fly from Toronto to Portugal?

Canada was removed from the EU list on 22 October 2020 so that Canadian residents are currently subject to travel/entry restrictions that did not exist before this date and the majority of people living in Canada, with few exceptions, are barred from entry into EU countries since then. Portugal followed the EU's recommendation and removed Canada from their list on 30 October 2020, with a recent further prolongation of this entry ban for travellers from Canada until at least 30 November 2020.
This is a very helpful reply Katharina. I made my phone calls to receptive and knowledgeable people at the airlines on October 29. Appropriately, they told me that as of October 29 Canada was off the EU (Schengen group) list but not off the Portugal list of eligible countries for entry. They clearly specified that they could only speak for that date, so thank you for bringing me up to date. This is a great forum for the most relevant Camino information.
Maybe I'll hop in my Toyota and head up the magical, majestic, wind-blown Dempster Highway to the nearby Arctic Circle instead. Of course, amidst the twilight I'll dream of those many trips to Portugal with its abundance of good people, endless bear-free paths, pasteis de nata, Alentego red, and and the warm Mediterranean sun that in earlier winters provided a critical source of Vitamin D for us Arctic dwellers.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.