• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reservations in April/May?

AudreyT

Time of past OR future Camino
April "2016"
Hi, I am planning to walk the Camino from April 15-May 15 starting in Pamplona. I am wondering if I need to make reservations at the albergues before hand at this time of year, or if it is likely slow enough at this time that I can just show up? I see others had mentioned making reservations in advance for April and got a little worried. Would love advice:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Some would suggest you book your first nights accomodation, just for ease of mind, so as to start your first day relaxed. Depending on your choice of albergue you can or cannot make a reservation. municipal albergues like Jezus and Maria in Pamplona you cant book ahead, but all the other private albergues you can.
The municipal in Pamplona will 95% sure have a bed for you as its so big and April/May isnt high camino season.

Hi AudreyT,

As above, perhaps book your first night in any accommodation you like. If you stay in alburgue, you could probably go directly without reservation. For the rest of your walk, see what comes to you. I bet you wouldn't need to reserve unless you find it feeds your spirit to have such assurance.

No matter what you do, you will be. Excited for you!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, I am planning to walk the Camino from April 15-May 15 starting in Pamplona. I am wondering if I need to make reservations at the albergues before hand at this time of year, or if it is likely slow enough at this time that I can just show up? I see others had mentioned making reservations in advance for April and got a little worried. Would love advice:)
Hi Audrey, booked only the first day and that was because I arrived late in SJPDP.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter. :)

Hi Audrey
As above, I've only felt the need to book my first night's accommodation
No need after that.
Buen camino!

I can recommend the Hotel Maisonave in Pamplona if you want a good nights kip and a stunning breakfast spread to start you off! We stay there on our drive down to the Costa Blanca (they let my dog sleep in the room with us for free). We met up with some American "pilgrims" in the lift who said that they were doing the Camino with a tour operator, they said they were staying in decent accommodation and had a courier ferry their luggage to their next stop every day. I will be doing in on the cheap and lugging my own back pack with me.
I also saw a young girl pilgrim with her little black labrador carrying its' own pair of small saddlebags just round the corner from the hotel. I gave the dog a biscuit and wished her "buen camino". It was all these little reminders and prompts that meant that I had to book my own adventure and I start from SJPdP on 13th April.

I look forward to catching up with you en route.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Audrey I havent decided yet but your route sounds like mine... :) maybe we meet..I am planning to do april and may too and also to start at pamplona or even more ahead... :) first time too and i decided like..yesterday! :)

I can recommend the Hotel Maisonave in Pamplona if you want a good nights kip and a stunning breakfast spread to start you off! We stay there on our drive down to the Costa Blanca (they let my dog sleep in the room with us for free). We met up with some American "pilgrims" in the lift who said that they were doing the Camino with a tour operator, they said they were staying in decent accommodation and had a courier ferry their luggage to their next stop every day. I will be doing in on the cheap and lugging my own back pack with me.
I also saw a young girl pilgrim with her little black labrador carrying its' own pair of small saddlebags just round the corner from the hotel. I gave the dog a biscuit and wished her "buen camino". It was all these little reminders and prompts that meant that I had to book my own adventure and I start from SJPdP on 13th April.

I look forward to catching up with you en route.
Hi..i was just wondering how can i have part of my lggage with a courier ferry? this is my first time..and i plan to have my backpack and maybe the courier...

Wow yesterday? Very spontaneous. I love it. Keep me posted where you will be starting and date. Maybe we can walk a while together:)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi..i was just wondering how can i have part of my lggage with a courier ferry? this is my first time..and i plan to have my backpack and maybe the courier...
I hope some other Pilgrims can help you with the answer to this one as I don't have a clue. I will be lugging my stuff with me all the way!
I will be catching you up shortly after Pamplona. Buen Camino.

Wow yesterday? Very spontaneous. I love it. Keep me posted where you will be starting and date. Maybe we can walk a while together:)
Hi Audre

Hi Audrey, I would love that, my name is Debbie btw and I think it would be perfect bc I am planning to arrive around the same date and in the same town..so why not? :) should we exchange emails?

Since I just decide it yesterday, there is a LOT i need to prepare, but I would love to coordinate with you :) that sounds nice! Bc the timing is perfect! :)

I walked from april7 to May no reservations until I was done for Madrid started in SJPDP to Finnesterre. Only on Easter I had to walk around to another alburgue. My costs without airfare 3000 U.S. Dollars for 6 weeks including a week in Madrid.
Buen Camino
Keith

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Audrey I already decided, I will do similar to you, I will start on April 15th from Pamplona too :) so we can definetely walk together and start together if you like :) since I am flying from Brazil I am planning to arrive on April 13th, rest until the 14th (from the jet lag) and then on the 15th I will start..so lets talk and we can coordinate and walk together for a while :) I am planning to give myself more than a month (if i manage to finish in a month, awesome! if not, i will have a few extra days) :) are you planning to do the whole path in one month?

Hi Audrey, I would love that, my name is Debbie btw and I think it would be perfect bc I am planning to arrive around the same date and in the same town..so why not? :) should we exchange emails?

Since I just decide it yesterday, there is a LOT i need to prepare, but I would love to coordinate with you :) that sounds nice! Bc the timing is perfect! :)[/QUOTE]

My email is audreytewnion@yahoo.com
I have done a ton of research so can share my packing list and tips I have found. I feel pretty well prepared so hopefully can pass on some of what I have read to be helpful. Send me a message, it would be great to connect:)

Yes I plan to do the whole route in a month. I am limited for time off so will have to. I would love to take more time but am grateful to have the time that I do.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Audrey.
Leaving SJPDP April 12th or 13th. Ill probably see you out there. Buen Camino!

Audrey, I will be in Pamplona on April 14th and start walking April 15.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back