• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Restart

Arn

Veteran Member
Hi, I originally joined the Forum in 2007 and walked from St Jean to SDC in May 2008. Between 2008 and 2014, I walked the Caminho Portuguese, Ingles and the Camino Frances from Burgos and Sarria. For several years I was honored to be a moderator on the Forum. Due to combat related issues, over the past two years I've spent the majority of my time rebuilding my life and life-style. Today is my first day back on the Forum. I trust its the kick start I hope it shall be.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, I originally joined the Forum in 2007 and walked from St Jean to SDC in May 2008. Between 2008 and 2014, I walked the Caminho Portuguese, Ingles and the Camino Frances from Burgos and Sarria. For several years I was honored to be a moderator on the Forum. Due to combat related issues, over the past two years I've spent the majority of my time rebuilding my life and life-style. Today is my first day back on the Forum. I trust its the kick start I hope it shall be.
Welcome back troop. Glad to run into another dirt eater here!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good to see you back Arn!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Arn, here’s to a welcoming experience yet again. I have found Ivar’s Forum to be a place of shared wisdom and emotional support.

I see you are from Richmond. I grew up in Northern VA. High density in both locales, but close enough to trails/parks where tree canopies can shield summer’s unrelenting sun and provide a bit of respite from the humidity (wishful thinking on that one!) VA’s winters tend never to be so cold that you can’t get out and move. I envy that. Winter in Maine is tough for me having come from San Diego! Yes, I whine about it.

Here’s to cheerleading you on to strength and transformation. We’re all a work in progress in some shape or form!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welcome back!

I walked my first Camino back in Oct/Nov 2016 - before that, I was often on this forum and found its members to be so welcoming, and ready to help. I must admit life then got in the way, and I dropped out of sight - although I did peek around a bit about a year ago when I was looking into walking part of the Jakobova Pot (Zagreb - Ljubljana - Trieste) because one of my son's was living in Slovenia .... but that walk was nixed 😏
Lovely to see 'old' names here, including Arn (who's name I remember because I bought an Aarn backpack😁).
Here's hoping that we can all resume our walking in 2021 - if not 2022......

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome back, Arn. You were a moderator and frequent poster back when I first joined the forum and I always found your contributions interesting and insightful. Glad you are feeling better and that you have returned.

Welcome back, Arn. You were a moderator and frequent poster back when I first joined the forum and I always found your contributions interesting and insightful. Glad you are feeling better and that you have returned.
It’s been difficult but so rewarding. Not only for me personally but also family and friends. Putting the pieces back together with my goal to live Healthy, Happy and Fulfilled.
Thank you and so many others, especially here on the Forum.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Arn, long time no see. We too have been absent from the forum. Sorry to hear of your troubles but glad you are doing good and are back. Can I ask you if you keep in touch with Otis and Phyllis or know how they’re doing? Cullen & Palma

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello Arn, long time no see. We too have been absent from the forum. Sorry to hear of your troubles but glad you are doing good and are back. Can I ask you if you keep in touch with Otis and Phyllis or know how they’re doing? Cullen & Palma
Hutch,
I have not kept touch with Otis and Phyllis. When they stopped hosting the annual gathering I dropped off. It's great to hear from you both. Any Camino plans in the future?
regards
Arn

Arn,
I joined the forum in 2009, in the days when if there were 20 new posts in a day you thought it was Christmas. I so much enjoyed your posts then, and though we have never met, seeing your name here is like meeting up with an old friend. I have not read the forum much recently, but from now on I will!

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Arn,
I joined the forum in 2009, in the days when if there were 20 new posts in a day you thought it was Christmas. I so much enjoyed your posts then, and though we have never met, seeing your name here is like meeting up with an old friend. I have not read the forum much recently, but from now on I will!

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.
Alan,
Thank you for the kind words.
Serving in the Marines, I found that having friends, especially in a combat situation, can be hazardous both physically and mentally.
This past February 5th is the 53rd anniversary of the death of my best Marine buddy Eddie, who was KIA in Vietnam two weeks before we were going to be reunited back home in Chicago. Instead of the big bash we envisioned, I stood by his casket for three days. Eddie was my friend.
Instead of friends, I’ve had many, many acquaintances. And, although my interaction with them spans everything from down right debauchery to sharing the most tender of moments held in God's loving arms, few I can genuinely call friends.
Over the years, I've loosened up a bit. I've come to accept that by fearing the mental anguish should a friend preceed me in death, I've missed the celebration of life true friends can bring.
At one point in my life I could count on one hand those I called Friend.
Here on the Forum, and most assuredly on the Camino, I've met many I can call a Friend. Most of you, I've only met via these threads. Others, in the personal message arena.
All that said, the happiest I am is when I meet a fellow pilgrim at any of the many Pilgrim Masses along the Way, but most especially in the Cathedral de Santiago.
Alan, my Friend, I hope to meet you on Camino some day.
Buen “till we meet” Camino
Arn

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hutch,
I have not kept touch with Otis and Phyllis. When they stopped hosting the annual gathering I dropped off. It's great to hear from you both. Any Camino plans in the future?
regards
Arn
Arn, we are “planning” doing a Camino this fall if the stars get in alignment and covid is no hindrance. Not sure which one but we’re giving some thought to Le Puy. We’d also like to do our 2 weeks Hospitalero work in Burgos. Everything is just so up in the air unfortunately.

We were thinking about Otis and Phyllis the other day and thought you would know. I hope they are well. They are a really cute couple.
Cheers! Cullen

Arn, we are “planning” doing a Camino this fall if the stars get in alignment and covid is no hindrance. Not sure which one but we’re giving some thought to Le Puy. We’d also like to do our 2 weeks Hospitalero work in Burgos. Everything is just so up in the air unfortunately.

We were thinking about Otis and Phyllis the other day and thought you would know. I hope they are well. They are a really cute couple.
Cheers! Cullen
Hi,
I am also considering a Fall Camino starting in SJPDP. Likely the last week in August and giving myself 45 days or so enjoying being alive and among friends. Let's hope the Camino works it's magic and we will all, once again sing out "Buen Camino"
Arn

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Glad you're back Arn.

I have not been on here much since the start of the virus but my wife and I had our first vaccine jabs yesterday so we are starting to plan for the future again.
William,
Great to reconnect! It's been quite a journey this last year, or two. That said, I am back reconnecting with my many friends on the Forum.
God bless you and yours.
Stay safe and healthy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Arn, here’s to a welcoming experience yet again. I have found Ivar’s Forum to be a place of shared wisdom and emotional support.

I see you are from Richmond. I grew up in Northern VA. High density in both locales, but close enough to trails/parks where tree canopies can shield summer’s unrelenting sun and provide a bit of respite from the humidity (wishful thinking on that one!) VA’s winters tend never to be so cold that you can’t get out and move. I envy that. Winter in Maine is tough for me having come from San Diego! Yes, I whine about it.

Here’s to cheerleading you on to strength and transformation. We’re all a work in progress in some shape or form!
Maine Sally,
Today we got a few inches of snow at the farm and surrounding area. Not really enough to satisfy my desires. I spent ten summers teaching sailing in Maine and enjoyed interior Maine when I thru-hiked the AT in 1996.
California educated (?) at Chapman University (BA) in Orange and USC (MSEng). So I am a bit backward in my ability to write complete sentences with more than four letter words.
Heading to VT end of the month for a week in the snow.
Buen Camino (sometime).
Arn

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
1863 Calvary sword, Ames, CT
I was thinking Civil War era, but didn’t want to assume. Hope the woodstove is doing a good job; I heated my house for two years here in Rhode Island without a furnace. And then the family revolt occurred.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I was thinking Civil War era, but didn’t want to assume. Hope the woodstove is doing a good job; I heated my house for two years here in Rhode Island without a furnace. And then the family revolt occurred.
My daughter and her family lived with me for five years. Nothing warms the cockles of one's soul as watching two grandchildren (9-7) walking with an arm full of wood from the barn, in the snow, to their bedroom so they can have heat.

Maine Sally,
Today we got a few inches of snow at the farm and surrounding area. Not really enough to satisfy my desires. I spent ten summers teaching sailing in Maine and enjoyed interior Maine when I thru-hiked the AT in 1996.
California educated (?) at Chapman University (BA) in Orange and USC (MSEng). So I am a bit backward in my ability to write complete sentences with more than four letter words.
Heading to VT end of the month for a week in the snow.
Buen Camino (sometime).
Arn
We’re due for a couple of snow days this week. Likely a total accumulation of a foot...give or take. Enjoy time in VT. Anytime in VT is pretty nice!

It's nearly a month since I posted this thread.
Please know how honored and humbled I am by the warm welcome back to the Forum.
So many pilgrims from year's gone past and new friends moving forward add to my euphoria.
I was initially a lurker, graduated to Camino contributer and, honored to be a Moderator, before I dropped off the net.
Please know, the last two years have been difficult, yet the warm welcome and enthusiastic acceptance of my comments and threads are the best medicine imaginable.
God bless you all!
Arn

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back