A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

RIP @Dorpie (Rob)

2020 Camino Guides

San Pedro

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2018)
Awful news, left Roncesvalles two days before, will light a candle for him on the way.
RIP.

CTgirlLDN

Camino(s) past & future
None
Hello All

I am happy to say I have confirmed a space for Rob's wake in London.

I have booked a private space on the ground floor at the Larrik in Marylebone on Saturday,16th November from 4pm.

Rob's father, Mike, will be at the pub between 4pm and 7pm and would love to meet as many of Rob's friends as possible, so please do try to come between these times if you can. We will still have the venue into the evening too.

https://www.thelarrik.com/contact

Please do reach out if you have any questions.

Catherine

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
Hello All

I am happy to say I have confirmed a space for Rob's wake in London.

I have booked a private space on the ground floor at the Larrik in Marylebone on Saturday,16th November from 4pm.

Rob's father, Mike, will be at the pub between 4pm and 7pm and would love to meet as many of Rob's friends as possible, so please do try to come between these times if you can. We will still have the venue into the evening too.

https://www.thelarrik.com/contact

Please do reach out if you have any questions.

Catherine
Thanks for this news. i will not be able to be there in person, but i will keep the day in my heart.

AlexanderAZ

Camino(s) past & future
2017 (Sept/Oct): CF: SJPdP-->Fisterra-->Muxia (solo)
2019 (late Sept): CF: SJPdP-->Leon (honeymoon!)
The mods thought that renaming the thread would alert a broader group to the very sad news about @Dorpie’s untimely death on the Camino.

The post by some of his concerned friends will be merged into this thread, because it has a great picture that will fill many people with sadness but also happiness that @Dorpie was doing it his way.
Thank you mods for making this decision as it alerted me and subsequently others. My wife and I were on the Camino when Rob died. We met several people a few days later who were in his room at the time of his death. My wife has stayed friends with them and has forwarded this thread on to them so they could know more about the man who has impacted their lives. Their replies are deeply grateful. RIP, Rob.

Ianinam

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2013 / CP 2018
Hospitalera at Roncesvalles:
2015/2016/2017/2018/2019/2020
During the annual end-of-the-year meeting of the Dutch hospitaleros of Roncesvalles the ‘jefe’ (chief) of the group of eight hospitaleros that was working there last September told the other hospitaleros about this very sad event. With his knowledge and permission I tell you their story of that sad day.

He and his wife have tried to resuscitate Rob and have used the AED twice until professional medical care arrived and took over.

When Rob’s body was taken out of the albergue into the mourning car, all the hospitaleros - together with many pilgrims who were present at that moment - formed a guard of honour together.

During the pilgrim mass in church that night Rob’s name was mentioned by the priest, Don Valentin.

At 10 pm, when the albergue closed and the hospitaleros sat together in their appartment they had a moment of silence together; one of the hospitaleros read a poem in honour of the deceased and they listened to a song by a popular Dutch music group, of which the text – in short – means ‘It is a beautiful day to die’.

The following morning, when the albergue opened at 6 am. a photograph of Rob was put on the counter with two burning candles.

This sad event has had a major impact on the group of hospitaleros.

If anyone of the family wants to be in contact with the ‘jefe’ of the hospitaleros, please send me your contact-details in a pm.

Bonzai_Buddy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (03, 09, 14, 18) Portuguese (17)
Francigena (16) Ingles (10) and more
This is indeed so sad to hear. A great loss not just to pilgrims and upstanding members of the lodge, but also to the many people he touched throughout his life. This pilgrim is another in the thousands who have held their swansong on the Camino.

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Camino(s) past & future
Many, various, and continuing.
if anyone knows Rob's family or has contact with them, I would like their permission/participation before moving forward. Please get in touch.

wayfarer

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-Santiago-Finistera-Muxia. April/May 2012
Sarria-Santiago Sept. 2013
SJPP - Almost Orrison April 2014
if anyone knows Rob's family or has contact with them, I would like their permission/participation before moving forward. Please get in touch.
Contact @CTgirlLDN She was a friend of Rob's and knows the family.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 9 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 50 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 179 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 292 24.6%
  • June

Votes: 85 7.1%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.3%
  • September

Votes: 339 28.5%
  • October

Votes: 146 12.3%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock